Monnington Upon Wye, Herefordshire

Extract from Littlebury's Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire, 1876-7
with Private and Commercial Residents

Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2004

MONNINGTON (anciently Manitune and Monyton) is a small parish situated near the main road between Hereford and Hay, and on the northern bank of the river Wye; is distant 9 miles W.N.W. of Hereford, 12 E. of Hay, 12 S.E. of Kington, 15 S.W. of Leominster, 6 S. of Weobley, and about 3 S. of Moorhampton station on the Hereford, Hay, and Brecon railway; is in Grimsworth hundred, Weobley union and petty sessional division, Yazor polling district, and Hereford county court district. The population in 1861 was 102; in 1871, 102; inhabited houses, 21; families or separate occupiers, 23; area of parish, 1,011 acres; annual rateable value, £1,400. The Rev. Sir George Henry Cornewall, Bart., of Moccas court (who is lord of the manor), and Sir Henry Geers Cotterell, Bart., of Garnons, are the principal landowners. The soil is clay and loam; with a gravelly subsoil; chief produce, wheat, beans, barley, roots, and pasture. Monnington is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Hereford and rural deanery of Weobley; living, a rectory; value, £228, with residence and 33 acres of glebe; patron, the Rev, Sir George H. Cornewall, Bart.; rector, Rev. William Robins Smith, M.A., of Pembroke College, Oxford; who was instituted in, 1874. The register begins with the year 1710. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is a stone edifice, erected in the reign of Charles II. It consists of nave, chancel, and tower with four bells, and is in substantial repair. The children from this parish attend the school at Staunton-upon-Wye. Tradition affirms that the celebrated Owen Glendower died at Monnington court, and that he was buried in the churchyard. Monnington was the property and seat of an ancient family of that name, who derived it from their residence on this spot, and one of whom married a daughter of the famous Owen Glendower.

POSTAL REGULATIONS.- Tracey Preece, Sub-Postmaster. Letters arrive from Hereford at 8.30 a.m.; despatched thereto at 5.30 p:m. Madley and Weobley are the nearest money order offices; the latter is the nearest telegraph office. Post town, Hereford.
Parish Church (St. Mary's).- Rev. William Robins Smith, M.A., Rector; Messrs. Richard Maurice James and William J. Bayliss, Churchwardens; T. French, Parish Clerk:
Smith Rev. William Robins, M.A. (rector), The Rectory
Bayliss William J., farmer, Monnington ho.
James Richard Maurice, farmer, Monnington court

OCR/Transcription by Rosemary Lockie in June 2004.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page:
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library