Hope Mansel, Herefordshire

Extract from Littlebury's Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire, 1876-7
with Private and Commercial Residents

Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2004

HOPE MANSEL, or MANELL, is a small village and parish situated on the borders of Gloucestershire, in a pleasant valley or amphitheatre, about 5 miles S.E. of Ross, 14 W. of Gloucester, 18 S.E. of Hereford, and 3 S.W. of Mitcheldean Road station on the Hereford, Ross, and Gloucester branch of the Great Western railway. It is in Greytree hundred, Linton polling district, Ross union, county court district, and petty sessional division. The population in 1861 was 205; in 1871, 203; inhabited houses, 42; families or separate occupiers, 43; area of parish, 1,170 acres; annual rateable value, £2,053. The Lord Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol is lord of the manor; Thomas Holt, Esq., of Gloucester, is lord farmer; and Thomas Bennett Brain, Esq., the Rev. John Herbert, and Messrs. Osman Barrett, William B. Jones, James Street, and Mrs. Evans, are the principal landowners. The soil is loamy; subsoil, clay and rock; chief produce, wheat, beans, roots, &c. The parish is surrounded by hills, the tops of which are well wooded. The Mitcheldean and Forest of Dean junction railway, now in course of construction, will have a tunnel through this parish into Gloucestershire. Hope Mansel is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Hereford and rural deanery of Ross; living, a rectory; value, £196, with residence and 32 acres of glebe; patron, the Lord Chancellor; rector, Rev. Edward Murray Tomlinson, M.A., of Trinity College, Cambridge, who was instituted in 1874. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, is an ancient edifice; in a plain style, with nave, chancel, very old stone font, two monuments, and small belfry containing two bells. The chancel was restored in 1868. The earliest register is dated 1556. The national school for boys and girls was built in 1868 at a cost of £400. It has an average attendance of 40 children. Euroclydon, the property and residence of Thomas Bennett Brain, Esq., colliery proprietor, is a handsome mansion recently erected, and beautifully situated on an eminence commanding charming views of the Wye, the Forest of Dean, and an immense range of fruitful country.

POSTAL REGULATIONS.- William James, Sub-Postmaster. Letters arrive by messenger from Ross about 8.30 a.m.; despatched thereto at 5.45 p.m. Letters can be registered here. Mitcheldean and Drybrook are the nearest money order and telegraph offices. Post town, Ross.
Parish Church (St. Michael's).- Rev. Edward Murray Tomlinson, M.A., Rector; Mr. Cornelius Marfell and Alfred J. Brain, Esq., Churchwardens; George Robins, Parish Clerk.
National School (boys and girls).- Mr. John Louch, Master.
Brain Alfred Jas., Esq., The Hawthorns
Brain Thomas Bennett, Esq., Euroclydon
Gee Thomas, Esq., Beechwood
Jones Mr. William Bennett, Sutton
Lodge Mrs., Church field
Stephens Mrs., Yew Tree cottage
Tomlinson Rev. Edward Murray, M.A. (rector), The Rectory
Bennett James, farmer, Hope's Ash farm
Bennett John, farmer, Moat farm and Twilling farm
Brain Alfred James, solicitor and landowner, The Hawthorns
Bennett William, miller, Hope's Ash mill
James William, carpenter, wheelwright, and sub-postmaster, Post office
Jones James C., farmer and landowner, Upper end
Jones William B., farmer and landowner, Sutton and Upper house farms
Louch John, schoolmaster
Marfell Cornelius, farmer, Street farm
Marfell James, farmer, Hawthorns
Marfell John, farmer, Springfield
Robins George, parish clerk
Rudge William, farmer, Green farm
Taylor Alfred, Crown Inn, Hawthorne
Tommey Richard, blacksmith
Vaughan Mrs. Susanna, farmer, Hill farm

OCR/Transcription by Rosemary Lockie in April 2004.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: https://texts.wishful-thinking.org.uk/Littlebury1876/HopeMansel.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library