Bodenham, Herefordshire

Extract from Littlebury's Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire, 1876-7
with Private and Commercial Residents

Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2002


BODENHAM is an extensive parish, consisting of the townships above named, and situated on the river Lugg, which is famed for its trout and grayling fishing. The village is distant about 6½ miles S. from Leominster, 8 N. from Hereford, 10 S.W. from Bromyard, and 16 N.W. from Ledbury; the Dinmore station on the Shrewsbury and Hereford railway is in this parish, but distant 1½ miles E. of the church; and the main road between Leominster and Ledbury is about 1 mile W. Bodenham is the head of a polling district, in Broxash hundred, Leominster union, county court district, and petty sessional division; population in 1861, 1,096; in 1871, 1,111; inhabited houses, 221; families or, separate occupiers, 267; area of parish, 5,260 acres; annual rateable value, £7,222. John Hungerford Arkwright, Esq., of Hampton court, is lord of the manor and principal landowner. Mrs. Helme, Mrs. Forrest, and Mr. William W. Sessions, are also landowners here. The parish is well watered by the Lugg, and is very fertile, much of the land being under pasture, and the produce of the remainder being wheat, beans, hops, and fruit. Soil, loam and clay; subsoil, gravel. There are some extensive farms, with good houses attached. Dinmore Hill, a very considerable eminence, delightfully situated about 1½ miles N.W., commands a most extensive and splendid prospect. In this parish, near Calderwell farm, is a never-failing spring of beautiful water, containing some remarkable properties, and formerly used by invalids. In the early part of July 1872 the portion of this parish bordering on Felton was visited by a tornado, which caused much destruction to property.

Bodenham is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Hereford and rural deanery of Weston; living, a vicarage; value, £660, including 381 acres of glebe, with residence; patron, John Hungerford Arkwright, Esq.; vicar, Rev. Henry Arkwright, M.A., of Trinity College, Cambridge, who was instituted in 1843. The parish registers begin with the year 1584. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, was repaired and repewed in 1834, when 200 additional sittings were obtained. Accommodation is now provided for nearly 600 people. It is in the Early English style of architecture, and consists of chancel (with handsome ribbed ceiling), nave, north and south aisles, and square tower with four pinnacles and an unfinished lantern spire; the tower contains a peal of five bells, and a clock which was presented by J.H. Arkwright, Esq., in 1849. The organ was given by the vicar. There are several notable monuments, a carved stone font, &c. The charities belonging to the parish are of £18 yearly value. The national school for boys and girls was erected from the designs of F.R. Kempson, Esq., of Hereford, the cost being defrayed by subscription. It is in the Early English style, and has a residence for the master attached; the number of children under instruction is 128.

The principal residences in the parish are - The Vicarage (a modern stone building in the Elizabethan style, distant about a of a mile from the church), Broadfeld Court (an ancient mansion about 2½ miles N.E., the residence of Mrs. Helme), and Venwood (about 2½ miles S.E., in the occupation of Mrs. Forrest and Hugh Jenner, Esq., J.P.) The Railway Hotel, near Dinmore station, is much resorted to during the summer months by pleasure parties. Bowley is a township distant 1½ miles N.E. The Moor is a township ¾ of a mile E. Here is a Wesleyan chapel, which was rebuilt and enlarged in 1874. It is in the Hereford circuit. Maund Bryan is a township 2¾ miles S.E. A school church was erected here in 1865, and divine service is held once on Sundays. There is a school for boys and girls; number of children on the books, 45; average attendance, 30. It is a neat building of stone, with good residence for the mistress attached. Whitechurch Maund is a township distant 3 miles S. by S.E. from the church.

POSTAL REGULATIONS.- John Harford, Sub-Postmaster, Pease green. Letters arrive by messenger from Leominster about 9.30 a.m.; despatched thereto at 3.30 p.m. Leominster is the nearest money order and telegraph office and post town.
Parish Church (St. Michael's).- Rev. Henry Arkwright, M.A., Vicar; Colonel Master and Mr. William Price, Churchwardens; John Harford, Parish Clerk.
National School (boys and girls).- Mr. James Morton, Master; Mrs. Mary Edmunds, Mistress.
Chapel of Ease, Maund Bryan.- The Vicar or his Curate officiates.
Maund Bryan Church School (boys and girls).- Mrs. Selina Gladwin, Mistress.
Wesleyan Chapel, The Moor.- Ministers various.
Dinmore Railway Station (Shrewsbury and Hereford Railway, G.W.R., and L. and N.W.R. Cos.).- Mr. John Price, Station Master.
Bodenham Agricultural Society.- Mr. Wm. Price, The Vern, Secretary.


Arkwright Rev. Henry, M.A. (vicar of Bodenham, and chaplain to the Coningsby hospital, Hereford), Vicarage
Forrest Mrs., Venwood
Helme Mrs., Broadfield court
Hill William, Esq., M.R.C.S., L.S.A., The Lawn
Jenner Hugh, Esq., J.P., Venwood
Lewes Mrs. R., The Villa
Master Colonel, C.B., Hill house
Opie B. Smith, Esq., Pigeon house
Badham John, farmer and hop grower, Rowbury, Whitechurch Maund
Bailey William Joseph, farmer and hop grower, Glebe farm
Baker John, farmer, New house
Baker Joseph, farmer and hop grower, Maund court
Beard John, farmer, hop grower, and thrashing mach. propr., Upper Maund
Bowey James, tailor, The Moor
Brassington Daniel, farmer and hop grower, Wood house
Bray Wm. B., farmer, Dewdale's Hope
Clark Margaret, shopkeeper
Colebourn John, assistant overseer
Davies John, cottage farmer, Field house
Deykes Mrs. M., beer retailer and farmer, The George, Saffron's cross
Duncan Allan, shopkeeper, The Moor
Dyke John, farmer, Broadfield lodge; and at Grendon Warren, Pencombe
Edmunds Mrs. Mary, schoolmistress
Edwards Mrs. Sarah, farmer, Pigeon house, Maund Bryan
George Timothy, farmer and hop grower, The Farm
Gibbons William, mason, The Moor
Gladwin Mrs. S., schoolmis., Maund B.
Gladwin William, boot and shoe maker
Grainger John, painter, &c., The Moor
Griffiths Henry, shoeing smith & agricul. implement maker, Maundfield gate
Griffiths Joseph, farmer, Millcroft
Griffiths William, wheelwright and carpenter, Pool head
Harford Jn., parish clk. and sub-postm.
Hill James, stonecutter, The Moor
Hill William, M.R.C.S., L.S.A., surgeon, The Lawn
Hinch Edward, foreman of works to J.H. Arkwright, Esq., of Hampton court
Hodges James, farmer, Lower Venn; res., Amberley court, Marden
Hughes John, farmer, The Moor
Hyde Henry, farmer, Lower Broadfield
Hyde John, miller, Riffin's mill
Lait William, grocer and provision dealer
Matthews Ozeman, frmr., Ashgrove fm.
Medicott Henry, frmr., Bodenham court
MORGAN WILLIAM, Railway Hotel, near Dinmore station - good accommodation for pleasure parties
Morton James, master of National school
Oliver James, shoemaker, The Moor
Phillips Richard, farmer, Rich land
Pitt William, farmer, Gritpitt farm
Powell Geo., farmer & hop gr., Howton
Price John, station master, Dinmore sta.
Price Wm., frmr. & hop gr., The Vern
Pritchard Richard, beer retailer and shopkeeper, Whitechurch Maund
PROBERT JOHN, family grocer, tea dealer, corn, flour, and meal factor, general provision merchant, and butcher; agent for J., W., and J.V. Stallard's Worcester ale and porter, The New Stores, The Moor
Prosser John, haulier, Pool head
Prosser Walter, shopkeeper and beer retailer (The Crosen), Whitechurch M.
Purchase William, England's Gate Inn, and farmer
Saw Joseph, cottage farmer, Bowley
Sessions William Washington, farmer, hop grower, and landowner, Calderwell
Sessions Geo., Brockington cot., The Moor
Skyrme Joseph, farmer, Holbatch
Spencer John, butcher and provision dlr.
Steadman John, wheelwright, Maund B.
Taylor Thos., carpntr. & wheelwr., Bowley
Went John, shoeing and jobbing smith, and implement maker, Bank house
Williams John, shoemaker, The Moor
Williams Joseph, butcher, The Moor
Williams Robert, tailor, The Moor
Williams William Pritchard, farmer, hop grower, and tax collector, Brockington, and at Bowley farm

OCR/Transcription by Rosemary Lockie in June 2002.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page:
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library