Almeley, Herefordshire

Extract from Littlebury's Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire, 1876-7
with Private and Commercial Residents

Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2002


ALMELEY is a parish and village situate on the Hereford and Aberystwith turnpike road, about 5 miles S.S.E. from Kington, 4½ W. from Weobley, 14 S.W. from Leominster, and 15 N.W. from Hereford. The Kington and Eardisley branch of the Great Western railway was opened for traffic in February 1875. The Almeley station on that line is about a quarter of a mile from the village. The Eardisley station on the Midland railway (Hereford, Hay, and Brecon branch) is about 2½ miles S. Almeley is in Stretford and Wolphy hundreds, Weobley union and petty sessional division; Eardisley polling district, and Kington county court district. The population in 1861 was 637; in 1871, 675; inhabited houses, 139; families or separate occupiers, 154; area of parish (including the townships), 3,352a. 2r. 21p.; annual rateable value, £4,580. Mrs. Pease is lady of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is clayey; subsoil, red sandstone marl, with gravel in some parts; chief crops, wheat, barley, roots, and fruit. There are vestiges of a camp near the church, also a barrow. Almeley is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Hereford, and rural deanery of Weobley; living, a vicarage; value, £207 10s., with residence and 82 acres of glebe; patron, the Lord Bishop of Worcester; vicar, the Rev. William Pitcairn Alexander Campbell, M.A., of Queen's College, Cambridge, who was instituted in 1865.

The church of St. Mary was restored in 1868 at a cost of £1,800. It is an ancient Gothic structure, with nave, aisles, miniature transepts, chancel, organ, vestry, porch, and tower containing five bells and a clock. The earliest register is dated 1595. Here is a district board school with an average attendance of 80 children. £670 have been borrowed from Government for building purposes. Newport House, a modern mansion, has been recently purchased by Mrs. Pease. Woonton is a hamlet about 1 mile from Almeley station on the Kington and Eardisley line, and 2 miles from Kinnersley station on the Midland railway from Hereford to Brecon. The Religious Society of Friends have a meeting house in this village. Hopley's Green is a township covering an area of 400 acres. It is in Wolphy hundred, and is distant about 1 mile N.N.E. of Almeley village. Logaston is a township, also in Wolphy hundred, with an area of about 200 acres. It is distant about 1 mile E. of Almeley. Wootton is a hamlet. Here is a Primitive Methodist chapel erected in 1870.

POSTAL REGULATIONS.- Thomas Prosser, Sub-Postmaster, Woonton. Letters arrive from Hereford via Letton at 9.30 a.m.; despatched at 4.30 p.m. There is a wall letter-box in the parish, which is cleared at 3 p.m. daily (Sundays excepted). Eardisley and Weobley are the nearest money order and telegraph offices. Letters should be addressed - Almeley, Letton, Hereford.
Parish Church (St. Mary's).- Rev. William Pitcairn Alexander Campbell, M.A., Vicar; Messrs. Richard Morris and William Vaughan, Churchwardens; Thomas Lewis, Parish Clerk.
Primitive Methodist Chapel, Wootton.- Ministers various.
Religious Society of Friends' Meeting House, Woonton.
Board School (boys and girls).- Mr. James Anthony, Master; Mrs. Margaret Anthony, Mistress.
Railway Station (Kington and Eardisley Railway).- Mr. W.C. Richards, Station Master.


Campbell Rev. William Pitcairn Alexander, M.A. (vicar), The Vicarage
Southall Mr. John Tertius, Summer house; and Corn square, Leominster
Stepplo Mr. Jonathan
Taylor William, Esq., Newport house
Anthony J., master of the Board school
BAIRD HENRY, brewer, Almeley wholesale and family brewery
(see Hereford advertisements page 47)
Burton Richard, farmer
Davies Ed., cottage farmer, Ferney com.
Davies Sam. and Wm., farmers, Wootton
Davis Evan, cottage farmer
Dew Thos., far. & hopgrower, Bridge fm.
Dykes James, sawyer and cider retailer, Hopley's green
Foster Job, farmer, Hopley's green
Foster Thomas, farmer and timber dealer, Upper Wootton
Griffiths T., Buck Inn, & farmr., Woonton
Hankins Joseph, farmer, Woonton
HOLLAND THOMAS, builder and contractor, The Bells Inn
(see Hereford advertisements page 48)
Jenkins William, farmer, Hopley's green
Lewis Thomas, parish clerk
Lilwall Henry, farmer, Logaston
Lilwall William, farmer, Woonton
Lloyd Thomas, farmer, Lower Stocks
Lloyd Thomas, cooper and shopkeeper
Mainwaring James, farmer, Upcott
Morris Edward, wheelwright
Morris Richard, farmer, Old castle
Nicholas John, carpenter, Wootton
Ovens Mrs. John, farmer, Meer common
Price Jn., blacksm. & cot. far., Woonton
Price Thomas, farmer, New house
Prosser Thomas, grocer, provision and general dealer, Post office, Woonton
Richards W.C., sta.-master[Ed:sic], Railway sta.
Rogers T., wheelwr. & shopkr., Woonton
Smith John, farmer and coal dealer
Taylor James, farmer
Vaughan William, farmer and shopkpr.
Watkins Moses, cot. far., Upper Stocks
Williams George, blacksmith and thrashing machine proprietor, Wootton
Williams Philip, cot. farmer, Tan house
Winney Mrs. Ann, cot. far., beer retailer, and shopkpr. (The Lion), Ferney com.

OCR/Transcription by Rosemary Lockie in June 2002.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page:
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library