Pigot & Co's Commercial Directory for Derbyshire, 1835

“Staveley, Whittington and neighbourhoods”

Transcriptions by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 1996

STAVELEY is a parish, in the hundred of Scarsdale, the village being about five miles E.N.E. from Chesterfield, and three S.W. from Barlborough; situate near the banks of the river Rother, and the Chesterfield canal. In the neighbourhood are mines of coal and iron-stone, with furnaces for smelting the ore; and in the village is a manufactory for painting brushes of a superior description, and brushes for machinery, belonging to a Mr. Fletcher.

The church, which is dedicated to St. John the Baptist, contains several monuments of the Frecheville family; and the east window exhibits some stained glass, presented by Lord Frecheville in 1676. The living is a rectory, in the patronage of the Duke of Devonshire. Here is a place of worship for Wesleyan methodists. The charities comprise a free grammar school, of ancient foundation, and alms-houses, at Woodthorpe, for four aged persons of each sex, erected by Sir Peter Frecheville in 1632. The parish of Staveley (including the township of Great Barlow), contained, in 1821. 2,759 inhabitants, and in 1831, 2,926.

WHITTINGTON is a small parish, in the same hundred as Staveley, about three miles and a half west from that village, and about two and a half north from Chesterfield. The village is one to which some note is attached, as having been the place where the Earl (afterwards Duke) of Devonshire, the Earl of Derby (afterwards Duke of Leeds), Lord Delamere, and Mr. John Darcy, eldest son of the Earl of Holderness, assembled to concert measures for effecting the revolution of 1688.

The Cock and Magpie public-house was where they concluded their deliberations; there is a house still bearing the same sign in the village, but the building used by these great friends to liberty and the protestant religion is now occupied by a shoemaker. A jubilee, or centenary, of the great event, took place here in 1788, when a procession was formed, consisting of upwards of fifty gentlemen's carriages, many clubs, with their bands of music, and a large assemblage of the most distinguished families of the county: they partook of refreshments at the original 'revolution house', and then proceeded to Chesterfield to dinner.

On Whittington moor are several extensive manufactories for stone-ware, in which many of the inhabitants find employment. The church, which is dedicated to St. Bartholomew, is an ancient building; the living is a rectory, in the patronage of the dean and chapter of Lincoln:- the Rev. - Gordon is the incumbent, and the Rev. R. Robinson is the present curate. The free school here was founded in 1674, by Peter Webster, and endowed by him with lands, which together with subsequent bequests, produce an annual income of about £32.10s. for which twenty boys and ten girls receive instruction.

The parish (which has no dependent township) contained, at the last census, 740 inhabitants.

POST:- Letters from Chesterfield arrive every afternoon, and are despatched every morning.

GENTRY & CLERGY.
Birks Mr. Thomas, Staveley
Britt Mr. Abraham, Inkersall
Broomhead Lieut. Jos. Whittington
Clarke Mr. John, Hague
Dixon Henry, esq. Whittington
Foxlow Rev. Francis, Staveley
France Mr. Edwd. (surgeon) Staveley
Froggatt Mr. Richard, Hague
Garthwaite Mr. Thomas, Staveley
Glossop Mr. William, Woodthorpe
Hinde Miss Hannah, Whittington
Hollingworth Mr. Wm. Staveley
Jenkinson Mr. George, Whittington
May Charles Henry, esq. Whittington
Robinson Rev. Robert, Whittington
Roger Mr. John, Inkersall
Smith Rev. Courtnay, Staveley
Sorby Mrs. Elizth. Whittington lodge
Steade Capt. Charles, Whittington
Steade Mrs. -, Whittington

ACADEMIES AND SCHOOLS.
Biggin Eli, Whittington
Bishop Ellen (boarding) Whittington
Fisher George, Staveley
FREE GRAMMAR SCHOOL, Staveley, - Squire Butterfield, master
FREE SCHOOL, Whittington:- John Maddock, master
Lawrence Elizabeth (ladies' boarding) Netherthorpe

BLACKSMITHS.
Banks Thomas, Whittington
Johnson John, Woodthorpe
Richardson Charles, Handley
Swift Godfrey, Staveley
Thorp George, Whittington
Whitehead Thomas, Whittington

BOOT AND SHOE MAKERS.
Allcroft William, Staveley
Cartwright Samuel, Whittington
Cartwright Thomas, Whittington
Fox Benjamin, Staveley
Frith Peter, Staveley
Hemingway Thomas, Staveley
Mitchell William, Whittington
Sales John, Staveley
Siddall James, Whittington

BRUSH MANUFACTURERS.
Fletcher John (improved painting and machinery brushes) Staveley
Wright John, Staveley

BUTCHERS.
Andrew John, Staveley
Belfit William, Whittington
Bower Samuel, Whittington
Fenton Robert, Staveley
Marples George, Staveley
Marples Thomas, Staveley

COAL MASTERS AND COAL MERCHANTS.
Barrow Geo. Hodgkinson, Staveley
Bason, Butterman and Haslehurst, Unstone
Bason Henry, Whittington
Smith Robert Edmund Mower, Dunstan

CRATE MAKERS.
Moody Thomas, Whittington moor
Wright Edward, Whittington moor

EARTHENWARE MANFCTRS.
BROWN AND STONE WARE.
Botham Robert, Wheeldon bridge
Johnson William, Whittington moor
Madin Aaron, Whittington moor
Sharratt William (brown ware) Newbold moor
Walker Richard Collis and Co. Whittington moor

GROCERS AND DRUGGISTS.
(See also Shopkeepers, &c.)
Cartwright James, Staveley
Lunn & Swift (& drapers) Staveley

HOOP MAKERS.
Greaves Henry, Whittington
Green William, Whittington

JOINERS.
Cropper William, Staveley
Mullens William, Staveley
Wheelhouse George, Staveley

IRON MASTER AND IRON FOUNDER.
Barrow Geo. Hodgkinson, Staveley

MALTSTERS.
Andrew John, Staveley
Chester John, Norbriggs
Slagg Joseph, Woodthorpe

MILLERS.
Cundy John, Whittington
Fidler James, Woodthorpe
Smith Benjamin, Staveley
Thorp Joseph, Whittington

SCYTHE MAKERS.
Hancock George, Whittington
Riley Joseph, Staveley

STONE MASONS.
Mettam Robert, Whittington
Waterhouse John, Staveley
Waterhouse William, Staveley
Widdowson George, Whittington

SURVEYORS - MINERAL.
Riley William, Staveley

SHOPKEEPERS & DEALRS IN GROCERIES AND SUNDRIES.
Dickens Hannah, Staveley
Gascoyne George, Staveley
Hinde Ann, Staveley
Olivent Thomas, Whittington moor
Redfern George, Staveley
Swift William, Staveley
Thorpe John, Whittington
Widdowson George, Whittington

TAILORS.
Bell Thomas, Woodthorpe
Beswick George, Whittington
Furniss Benjamin, Staveley
Moore Sampson, Staveley
Sales James, Staveley
Shacklock Francis, Whittington
Smith John, Whittington
Sprintall Samuel, Staveley
Staton John, Whittington

TAVERNS & PUBLIC HOUSES.
Bull's Head, John Cooke, Whittington
Cock & Magpie, Wm. Mettam, Whittington
Colliers' Arms, Benjamin Tomlinson, Marsden moor
Crown, Joseph Riley, Staveley
Devonshire Arms, Frans. Crofts, Staveley
Gate, Joseph Holmes, Marsden moor
George, William Crofts, Staveley
Green Man, Thomas Stone, Staveley
Nag's Head, Thomas Bell, Woodthorpe
Nag's Head, James Handbury, Staveley
Square & Compass, Geo. Bower, Whittington
White Horse, Wm. Woodhouse, Whittington

Retailers of Beer.
Bagshaw Isaac, Handley wood
Cadman Richard, Staveley
Hudson David, Inkersall
Madin Elijah, Whittington moor
Milner William, Woodthorpe
Moody Edward, Whittington
Turner Peter, Whittington
Waterhouse Mark, Canal row

WHEELWRIGHTS.
Cooke John, Whittington
Cropper William, Staveley
Siddall John, Whittington

Miscellaneous.
Cutts Henry, plumber, &c. Staveley
Dudley Thomas and Son, spade makers, Norbriggs
Dyson Thomas, baker, Staveley
Fletcher Paul, saddler, Staveley
Widdowson George and Co. tanners, Whittington

Description(s) from Pigot and Co's Commercial Directory for Derbyshire, 1835.
Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie in May 1996.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://texts.wishful-thinking.org.uk/Pigot1835/Staveley.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library