Pigot & Co's Commercial Directory for Derbyshire, 1835

“New Mills (Derbyshire), Disley (Cheshire) and neighbourhoods”

Transcriptions by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 1996

NEW MILLS, an extensive hamlet, in the parish of Glossop, and in the High Peak hundred, is 14 miles from Manchester, 6 from Chapel-en-le-Frith, and 8 from Stockport. It is pleasantly situate on the borders of Derbyshire and Cheshire; and, within a comparatively few years, has risen to importance in the manufacturing district; cotton spinning being carried on here to a considerable extent, affording employment to numerous hands.

The factories are in a great measure hid from public view in passing through the village, being built at the foot of the stream, under high towering rocks. Good house coal, as well as other kinds for the purposes of machinery, is obtained near to the village, the top bed strata running from sixteen to twenty inches thick. The village is built chiefly upon a stone quarry, but the soil in many parts is fertile, producing good crops of wheat and potatoes. A new road which has been lately formed to join the Buxton road, will doubtless prove a great accomodation.

The places of worship are, a new church, erected within these few years, and chapels for the use of the methodists' old connexion, primitive methodists, and Calvinists. The church is a handsome building of stone, in the gothic style, and is dedicated to St. George. The cost of its erection amounted to about £3,500, the parliamentary commissioners having granted £2,500 in aid of the work: the ground for its site was given by Lord George Cavendish. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Derby, and diocese of Lichfield and Coventry, and in the patronage of the vicar of Glossop. The edifice contains about 500 free sittings. A charity school, for the gratuitous instruction of nine poor children, is in the hamlet of Whittle, and there is an allotment of land for the support of another school.

The name of NEW MILLS does not appear in the parliamentary population returns. It was originally known as Bowden-Middle-Call, comprising several hamlets: about a century ago it was subdivided, three of the hamlets remaining attached to Hayfield, and the other four, BEARD, OLERSET, WHITTLE and THORNSETT, being formed into a township. A new mill was then erected for the use of the inhabitants of these hamlets, upon the river Kinder, and the name of New Mills was, in consequence, conferred on the four before mentioned hamlets - which, by the returns for 1831, contained, together, 3,538 inhabitants.

DISLEY, or Distley, anciently spelt Dystelegh-Stanlegh, is a village and chapelry, in the hundred of Macclesfield and parish of Stockport, about six miles S.E. of the latter town. In the time of Edward I. Disley was held by Jordan de Dystelegh, and a hamlet on the north side, by Grym de Stanlegh; hence the compound modern appellation of Disley-Stanley. The situation of the village is very pleasant, on the immediate borders of Derbyshire; upon the high road to Sheffield: a respectable, convenient inn and postinghouse, the Ram's Head, is in the village. St. Mary's chapel here was rebuilt in 1558; it consists of a nave and chancel, with a stone tower, containing a ring of six bells; the chancel and vestry are of brick: in the chancel window are some beautiful specimens of heraldic stained glass: the curate is the Rev. William Greswell. Several cotton spinning and printing works are in the neighbourhood. Lyme hall, the seat of Thomas Leigh, Esq. is in this chapelry. In 1821, Disley contained 1,533 inhabitants, and by the last returns, made in the year 1831, the number had increased to 2,037.

POST OFFICE:- NEW MILLS, Adam Brierley, Post Master:- Letters from STOCKPORT arrive every afternoon at five, and are despatched every morning at a quarter before seven.

GENTRY & CLERGY.
Barnes Mr. John, Tor top, New Mills
Bennett Mr. Richard, New Mills
Bridge Mrs. Alice, New Mills
Bridge Mr. John, New Mills
Carlile Rev. Irving, Strawberry hill, New Mills
Greswell Rev. William, Disley
Hancock Mr. William, Disley
Legh Thomas, esq. Lyme Hall, Disley
Marriott Rev. William, Disley
Newton George William, esq. Aspenshaw hall, New Mills
Orford Richard, esq. High lane, near Disley
Orford Thomas, esq. High lane, near Disley
Schofield Mr. Robert, New Mills
Simon Rev. Samuel, New Mills
Taylor Mr. John, Olerset hall, near New Mills
Turner Mr. Wm. Henry, New Mills

ACADEMIES AND SCHOOLS.
Emery John Frederick, Disley
Hadfield Robert, New Mills
Milner Hannah, New Mills
Simon Rev. Samuel, New Mills

BLACKSMITHS.
Lomas John, Disley
Lydiot Thomas, Thornsett
Pearson James, New Mills
Whyatt John, New Mills

BOOT AND SHOE MAKERS.
Beard John, New Mills
Brown Joseph, New Mills
Burton John, New Mills
Clayton Joseph, Disley
Gregorey George, New Mills
Hadfield John, New Mills
Marsland John, Disley
Taylor James, New Mills
Wheatley Edward, New Mills

BUTCHERS.
Bennett Jonathan, New Mills
Coates John, New Mills
Higinbottom George, New Mills
Oldfield Joshua, New Mills
Sidebottom James, New Mills
Taylor James, Disley

CALICO PRINTERS.
Barlow George, Wood end, Disley
Ingham James & Co. New Mills
Loyd & Price, Furness, Disley
Oldham Thomas (assignees of) Garrison, New Mills
THE STRINES PRINTING COMPANY, Strines, near Disley

CANDLE-WICK MAKERS.
Gibson Joseph, New Mills
Hibbert Thomas, New Mills
Stafford John, New Mills
Thatcher Robert and William, New Mills
Thornely John, New Mills
Ward William, New Mills
Wood James, New Mills

COTTON BANDING MANUFRS.
Chadwick James, New Mills
Stafford John & Joseph, New Mills

COTTON SPINNERS.
Marked thus * are also Manufacturers.
Armstrong Saml. Tor top, New Mills
* Barnes Thomas & Co. New Mills
* Moseley and Howard, Waterside, Disley
Sheldon John, Tor mill, New Mills
* Thatcher Robert and William, New Mills

ENGRAVERS TO CALICO PRINTERS.
Potts John, St. George's works, New Mills
Ralston James, Disley

GROCERS & TEA DEALERS.
(See also Shopkeepers &c.)
Berry James, New Mills
Bridge Charles, New Mills
Brierley Adam (and druggist) New Mills
Fell Jacob, jun. New Mills
Sidebottom James (and druggist) New Mills

INNS.
Crown, William Wald, New Mills
George (and commercial) Samuel Bower, New Mills
Masons' Arms, Jordan Bradbury, New Mills
Rams's Head, Edward Stocker, Disley
White Lion, Jesse Howard, Disley

IRON FOUNDER.
May William, New Mills

JOINERS AND BUILDERS.
Howard Samuel, Disley
Waterhouse John, New Mills

LINEN DRAPERS.
Bridge Charles, New Mills
Fell Jacob, jun. New Mills
Gregorey George, New Mills
Sidebottom James, New Mills
Warren Hannah, New Mills

MILLINERS & DRESS MAKRS.
Chadwick Hannah, New Mills
Mason Ann, New Mills
Williamson Mary Ann, New Mills

PAINTERS AND GLAZIERS.
Alsop Joseph, New Mills
Ardern William, Disley
Kimer Edward, New Mills

SADDLERS.
Pearson George, New Mills
Platt John, Disley
Wheatley Edward, New Mills

SHOPKEEPERS & DEALRS IN GROCERIES AND SUNDRIES.
Beard John, New Mills
Bentley Thomas, Thornsett
Bowers John, New Mills
Dunderdale Jonathan, Disley
Elliott Edmund, Disley
Forbes Daniel, Disley
Hallam Thomas, Disley
Higinbottom Wright, New Mills
Lomas George, Disley
Moseley Mary & Rebecca, Thornset
Norbury George, High lane, Disley
Stafford Thomas, New Mills
Ward Samuel, New Mills
Warren Peter, New Mills
Whittaker David, Disley
Wild Rebecca, New Mills
Williamson James, New Mills

SILK PRINTER.
Potts John, St. George's works, New Mills

STONE MASONS.
Brelsford James, Disley
Brelsford James, jun. Disley
Joule Joseph, New Mills
Mason Robert, New Mills
Pott Thomas, New Mills
Stafford George, New Mills
Stafford Obadiah, New Mills

SURGEONS.
Crossley Edward, Disley
Hibbert John, New Mills
Moseley George Mitchell, Thornsett
Tomlinson John, Disley

TAILORS.
Burton Benjamin, New Mills
Fletcher George, Disley
Hibbert James, New Mills
Higinbottom William, New Mills
Hulton Nathan, New Mills
Longson William, New Mills
Simpson Chadwick, Disley
Woolley Joseph, New Mills

TAVERNS & PUBLIC HOUSES.
Bull's Head, William Goddard, New Mills
Bull's Head, Geo. Green, High lane, Disley
Calico Printers' Arms, Nancy Bradburn, Thornsett
Cock, James Sidebottom, New Mills
Dog and Partridge, Joseph Higinbottom, New Mills
Grapes, John Thornley, New Mills
Green Man, John Stafford, New Mills
Hare and Hounds, William Greenwood, New Mills
Horse Shoes, Robert Bradbury, High lane, Disley
Red Lion, Wm. Ardern, High lane, Disley
Ring of Bells, William Holdgate, Disley
Soldier Dick, Joseph Gould, Furness
Waggon and Horses, Sarah Williamson, High lane, Disley
White Hart, Samuel Goddard, New Mills
White Horse, William Moore, Disley

Retailers of Beer.
Bate William, Thornsett
Bowden Samuel, New Mills
Brierley Adam, New Mills
Falkner John, High lane, Disley
Garrett William, New Mills
Hibbert Thomas, New Mills
Higinbottom George, New Mills
Higinbottom John, New Mills
Isherwood William, Disley
Pearson Stephen, New Mills
Stafford George, New Mills
Swindells John, Disley
Whittaker Sarah, Disley

WHEELWRIGHTS.
Holdgate Thomas, Disley
Thomas William, Thornsett

Miscellaneous.
Arnfield Jno. hat manufactur. New Mills
Barrow Daniel, bailiff to Thomas Legh, esq. of Lyme park, Disley
Brown Samuel, watch, &c maker, New Mills
Cross Joseph, parish clerk, New Mills
Green Wm. wharfinger, High lane, Disley
Hartwell John, bleacher, Thornsett
Higinbottom Jos. auctioneer, New Mills
Lidster John, attorney, New Mills
M'Rea Geo. tin-plate worker, New Mills
Marsh George, rag-dealer, New Mills
Marsland John, parish clerk, Disley
Mason Henry, machine broker, New Mills
Poyser Elizabeth, ironmonger, New Mills
Shallcross Jno. clog & patten mkr. N.Mills
Worrall Jas. road surveyor, High la. Disley
Wright Joseph, plumber, &c. New Mills

COACHES.
All call at the RAM'S HEAD INN, DISLEY, when not otherwise
mentioned.
To LONDON, the Royal Bruce (from Manchester) every afternoon at a
quarter before two; goes through Buxton, Bakewell, Matlock, Belper,
Duffield, Derby, Leicester, Northampton, Market Harborough, &c:-
and the Peveril of the Peak, at same time; goes the same route as
the Bruce to Market Harborough, and thence through Bedford,
Hitchin, &c.
To BUXTON, coaches several times a day, during the season:- see
also LONDON and NOTTINGHAM.
To MANCHESTER, the Lord Nelson and the Lady Nelson (from
Nottingham) every day at half-past twelve:- the Wellington (from
Sheffield) every day at half-past one:- the Champion (from
Nottingham) every afternoon at half-past two:- the Royal Bruce and
the Peveril (from London) and the Tally-Ho (from Newark) every
afternoon at three:- and the Mercury, from the Masons' Arms, New
Mills, every Tuesday & Saturday mornings at 7; all go thro'
Stockport.
To NEWARK, the Tally-Ho (from Manchester) every forenoon at half-
past ten; goes through Buxton, Bakewell, Baslow, Chesterfield,
Mansfield, &c.
To NOTTINGHAM, the Lord Nelson, and the Lady Nelson (from
Manchester) every forenoon at half-past eleven; both go through
Buxton, Bakewell, Matlock, Belper, Duffield, Derby, &c:- and the
Champion (from Manchester) every forenoon at half-past ten; goes
through Chapel-en-le-Frith, Chesterfield, Mansfield, &c.
To SHEFFIELD, the Wellington (from Manchester) every day at half-
past one; goes through Chapel-en-le-Frith, Castleton, Hope,
Hathersage, &c.

CARRIERS.
To STOCKPORT, Thomas Hallam, from Disley, every Tuesday & Friday:-
and Jesse Wilde, from New Mills, every Monday, Wednesday and
Friday.

Description(s) from Pigot and Co's Commercial Directory for Derbyshire, 1835.
Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie in May 1996.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://texts.wishful-thinking.org.uk/Pigot1835/NewMills.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library