Pigot & Co's Commercial Directory for Derbyshire, 1835

“Glossop, with the townships of Hadfield, Padfield, and Whitfield, the hamlets of Charlesworth, Howard's Town and neighbourhoods.”

Transcriptions by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 1996

GLOSSOP is a village and township, in the populous and extensive parish of its name, in the hundred of High Peak; 184 miles from London. 50 N.N.W. from Derby, 25 N.W. from Sheffield, and 13 S.E. from Manchester. This village, which is one of great manufacturing consequence, is situate on a rising bank, springing from one of the deepest valleys in the Peak. The country around is very pleasing, and many of the views may be considered romantic: plantations abound in the home scenery, and the lands in the low grounds are fertile; but the mountainous parts are less productive.

In Glossop and its vicinity there are upwards of forty establishments for the spinning of cotton, and the manufacture of various fabrics from that article; for calico printing also, there is an extensive concern at Dinting-vale, and woollen goods are made to a limited extent: there are, besides, two paper mills ill the neighbourhood, at one of which (Dinting Mill), the article is manufactured by patent machinery. Coal is worked about three miles hence, and from these mines Glossop and the neighbourhood are principally supplied.

Glossop is one of the stations appointed by the new Boundary Act, for receiving votes at the election of knights of the shire, to represent the northern division of the county. The Duke of Norfolk is lord of the manor, and holds courts-leet at Easter and Michaelmas; at the latter period a constable and headborough are appointed, in whom the govern government ofthe township is vested. Glossop is in the honour of Tutbury, and within the jurisdiction of a court of pleas, held there every third Tuesday, for the recovery of debts under forty shillings.

The church, which is dedicated to All Saints, is an ancient structure: the body has been rebuilt, and public worship was performed in it, for the first time after the repairs were completed, in September, 1832. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the patronage of the Duke of Norfolk, and incumbency of the Rev. Christopher Howe. In the church is a monument, by Bacon, to the memory of Joseph Hague, Esq. of Park Hall, near Hayfield, who bequeathed the interest of £1000. towards clothing twenty-four poor men and women, of this and some of the adjacent townships. Glossop Hall, the property of the Duke of Norfolk, is near the village; and at GAMESBY, about a mile to the west, is Melandra Castle, the vestiges of a Roman station.

On Wednesday, the 30th of July, 1834, the neighbourhood of Glossop was visited by a most tremendous tempest; the village appeared, at one time, to be enveloped in one almost continuous blaze of lightning, while the thunder, pealing amongst the bills, was unusually loud and terrific, and the rain and hail poured down in quantities, of which no description can present an adequate idea: an overwhelming flood was the consequence, which swept down the valley with impetuous force, carrying devastation in its resistless course, and striking with dismay the inhabitants. The brook which waters Glossop increased by the streams from the hills, assumed a most appalling appearance, and, rushing onward, threatened destruction to all erections on its banks, and to bridges which crossed it.

Several mills received great injury; amongst which, Mr. John Kershaw's factory, at Hurst, sustained damage to the amount of upwards of £1000.: two young women and a child, belonging to these works, perished in the flood, and others were severely bruised. In addition to the mischief done to the factories and works, very extensive injury occurred to the fields, gardens, fences, roads, and bridges, of which last, four were entirely destroyed. Such was the suddenness, violence, and rapidity of the torrent, that not only sheep and lambs, but hares, rabbits, and even birds, were carried away by it; and it is said that some fish were caught on the turnpike road.

A fair, for cattle and various commodities, is held on the 6th of May. The entire parish of Glossop contained, by the census taken in 1821, 13,766 inhabitants, and by that for 1831, 18,080, of which last number 2,012 were retained for the township.

HADFIELD is a village, in the township of Hadfield and Dinting, in the parish of Glossop, about two miles west therefrom. About thirty years ago this township was strictly an agricultural district, with a small population; but at the last census it contained 1,270 inhabitants.

PADFIELD is a township, in the parish of Glossop, about two miles north-west from that village. The cotton manufacture prevails here extensively, and has been the means of more than doubling its population in ten years, as, by the census taken in 1821, it contained only 499 inhabitants, and in 1831, 1,102.

WHITFIELD is also a township in the parish of Glossop, situate about a mile and a half north from that village, on the road leading to Chapel-en-le-Frith. Like the neighbouring townships in this parish, it is indebted for its consequence to the manufactories established within its limits. A school was founded and endowed by the late Joseph Hague, Esq. (beforementioned) in 1779, and the school-house was erected about 1786. A chapel, for Wesleyan methodists, is the only place of worship in this township - which contained, at the last census, 1,734 inhabitants, having nearly doubled its population in ten years.

CHARLESWORTH is a populous hamlet, about three miles south-west from Glossop, in that parish; it contains a place of worship for independent Calvinists, and a population (by the last returns) of 1,206 inhabitants, who are chiefly supported by the manufacturing interest.

HOWARD'S TOWN, once called Bridge-end, is a hamlet in Glossop parish, one mile from that town. This is a thriving little place - called into consequence within a comparatively few years, by the erection of some extensive cotton manufactories. Here are two respectable inns, the ‘Howard's Arms’ and the ‘Norfolk Arms’. Population returned with Glossop parish.

POST OFFICE:- Norfolk Arms, HOWARD'S TOWN, Joseph Oates, Post Master:- Letters from MANCHESTER arrive every evening at a quarter past six, and are despatched every morning at six.

GENTRY AND CLERGY.
Adamson Rev. John, Charlesworth
Ellison Thomas, esq. (agent to his Grace the Duke of Norfolk)
  Glossop hall
Flovell Rev. Francis, Glossop
Hadfield Joseph, esq. Lees hall
Harrison Rev. Thomas, Glossop
Hollingworth Mr. John, Glossop
Howe Rev. Christopher, Glossop
Lees Mr. Robert, Padfield brook
Oates Mr. Benjamin, Cowbrook
Partington Rev. George, Whitfield
Thornely John, esq. Chisworth

ACADEMIES AND SCHOOLS.
Adamson William, Charlesworth
Fielding Joseph, Glossop
Garlick John, Whitfield
GRAMMAR SCHOOL, GLOSSOP:- Rev. Thomas Harrison, master
HAGUE'S CHARITY SCHOOL, Whitfield:- John Dearnaley, master
Harrop Joseph, Hadfield
Nutter John, Glossop
Winterbottom Robert, Glossop

BANK.
MANCHESTER and LIVERPOOL DISTRICT BANKING COMPANY (branch
of) Howard's Town:- Saml. Bolton Tomlins, manager:- (open on
Saturdays only:- draw on Smith, Payne and Co. London)

BLACKSMITHS.
Bennett John & Jos. Charlesworth
Bennett Joseph, Charlesworth
Bennett Robert, Rose green
Bennett Thomas, Glossop
Bennett William, Charlesworth
Calow Joseph, Mill town
Dawson Robert, Dinting bridge
Dewsnap Thomas, Hadfield
Greaves Benjamin, Howard's Town
Jackson Michael, Rose green
Marshall Robert, Symmondley
Pickford Samuel, Chunal
Rhodes John, Howard's Town

BOOT AND SHOE MAKERS.
Alsop John, Glossop
Collier James, Rose green
Cooper John, Holehouse
Cooper Moses, Green vale
Dearnley William, Hadfield
Fielding William, Hadfield
Harrison John, Glossop
Jackson John, Charlesworth
Pickford John, Padfield
Raworth Thomas, Glossop
Scholes George, Foxholes
Shepley Thomas, Charlesworth
Sheppard James, Howard's Town

BOOT &c. MAKERS - Continued.
Sheppard William, Mill town
Taylor George, Howard's Town
Wood George, Mill town

BUTCHERS.
Booth Thomas, Charlesworth
Booth William, Symmondley
Bray Henry, Hadfield
Broadbent Samuel, Padfield
Collier James, Howard's Town
Goddard Samuel, Charlesworth
Hall John, Charlesworth
Moss John, Hadfield
Newton Richard, Hadfield
Pott John, Howard's Town
Robinson Joseph, Howard's Town
Shaw Robert, Glossop
Thorneley Joseph, Charlesworth
Wagstaffe Robert, Howard's Town

CALICO PRINTERS.
Potter Charles and Edward & Co. (assignees of) Dinting vale

COTTON BANDING MAKERS.
Booth George, Holehouse
Harrison John, Woodseats
Rowbotham James, Chew wood

COTTON SPINNERS.
Barber John and Co. Shepley mill
Barber William, Padfield brook
Bennett John and Joseph, Turnlee
Bowden John, Holehouse
Cooper Joseph, Holehouse
Hadfield and Wilkinson, Croden brook, Cheshire
Hadfield William, Cowbrook
Harrison Benjamin, Kinder lee
Howard Joseph, bridge field
Kershaw James, Charlestown
Kershaw John, jun. Hurst mill
Lees Henry, Woolley bridge
Lees John, Padfield brook
Marsland Samuel & Henry, Broad-bottom bridge, near Mottram
Platt George, Padfield
Platt William & Thomas, Hadfield lodge
Robinson and Hadfield, Glossop
Rusby and Linney, Mill town
Shepley Robert, Glossop
Shepley Samuel, Brookfield
Sidebottom John & William & Co. Waterside, nr. Mottram, Cheshire
Sumner Francis, Wren nest mill
Wardlow William, Bank Woodmill, near Mottram
Waterhouse Benjamin, Glossop
Wood John, Howard's Town mill

DRESS MAKERS.
Harrop Ellen, Woolley bridge
Parr Ellen, Howard's Town

DRUGGISTS.
Booth John, Howard's Town
Braddock Thomas, Green vale
Jackson William, Howard's Town
Kinder Robert, Howard's Town

GROCERS AND DEALERS IN SUNDRIES.
Alsop John, Mill town
Bancroft William, Charlesworth
Barber Samuel, Howard's Town
Barber William, Padfield
Bennett George, Whitfield
Booth Abraham, Symmondley
Booth John, Holehouse
Booth John, Howard's Town
Bowden George, Glossop
Bradbury John, Charlesworth
Braddock Thomas, Green vale
Bray Henry, Hadfield
Brockehurst George, Charlesworth
Buckley Robert, Charlestown
Collier Samuel, Howard's Town
Cooper James, Glossop
Cooper Joseph, Whitfield
Dewsnap James, Hadfield
Fielding Jerry, Green vale
Garlick Thomas, Howard's Town
Garside John, Woolley bridge
Goddard John, Waterside
Goddard Samuel, Charlesworth
Goodison Esther, Glossop
Hadfield John, Hadfield
Hadfield Martha, Hadfield
Hall James, Glossop
Hall William, Glossop
Harrison James, Kinder lee
Harrop James, Glossop
Harrop Joseph, Green vale
Heeney Michael, Hadfield
Irlam John, Howard's Town
Jackson James, Charlesworth
Lee Isaiah, Glossop
Lees John, Padfield
Massey Daniel, Mill town
Platt John, Brookfield
Robinson James, Whitfield
Robinson James, Glossop
Robinson John, Howard's Town
Schofield John, Rose green
Shaw James (and tallow chandler) Rose green
Shaw Joseph, Glossop
Shaw William, Howard's Town
Sheppard Abram, Glossop
Sheppard William, Mill town
Sheran Edward, Glossop
Smithies Henry, Symmondley
Sykes Jerry, Green vale
Sykes William, Woolley bridge
Thorneley Joseph, Charlesworth
Thorpe Betty, Glossop
Wagstaff Aaron, Mill town
Warhurst Thomas, Hadfield
Wilkinson Thomas, Glossop

INNS.
Howard Arms, John Wagstaffe, Howard's Town
Norfolk Arms, Joseph Oates, Howard's Town

JOINERS, &c.
Ashworth John, Glossop
Bradbury John, Charlesworth
Gee Thomas, Charlesworth
Thorpe Betty, Glossop
Warhurst James, Hadfield

LINEN DRAPERS.
Heeney Michael, Hadfield
Howe Thomas, Howard's Town
Robinson Joseph, Howard's Town
Taylor Edwin, Rose green

MANUFACTURERS - VARIOUS.
Bosley, Smith & Bosley (silk) Glossop
Lees Henry (by power) Woolley bdge
Robinson Geo. (woollen) Primrose
Robinson Jos. (woollen) Gnat hole
Sidebottom John and William and Co. (by power) Waterside, near
  Mottram, Cheshire
Wood John (by power) Howard's Town mill

PAINTERS, PLUMBERS AND GLAZIERS.
Hegginbottom Jos. Howard's Town
Hegginbottom Joseph, Glossop
Predary Charles, Charlesworth
Wagstaff Aaron, Mill town
Warhurst John, Hadfield

PAPER MAKERS.
Bennett John & Joseph, Turn lee
Oliver Samuel (by patent machinery) Dinting mill

SCALE BOARD MAKERS.
Bennett John and Joseph, Turn lee
Wagstaff Charles, Glossop

STRAW HAT MAKERS.
Knott Nathaniel, Mill town
Platt Mary and Sarah, Rose green

SURGEONS.
Begley William Chapman, Mill town
Bowden John, Glossop
Eastham Thomas, Hadfield
Hunt William, Charlesworth

Jones Henry William, Hadfield
Rusby John, Mill town

TAILORS.
Blunt Joseph, Hadfield
Booth John, Howard's Town
Bowden James, Glossop
Dewsnap Valentine, Glossop
Dixon William, Charlesworth
Gill Charles, Hadfield
Goodwin Thomas, Charlestown
Hall Aaron, Howard's Town
Hall James, Glossop
Neild George, Holehouse
Taylor Edwin (& draper) Rose green
Wrigley Thomas, Howard's Town

TAVERNS & PUBLIC HOUSES.
Anchor, John Garlick, Hadfield
Bull's Head, John Hall, Charlesworth
Bull's Head, James Platts, Glossop
George & Dragon, Martha Booth, Charlesworth
Grey Mare, George Brocklehurst, Charlesworth
Hare & Hounds, Jos. Hadfield, Glossop
Horse Shoe, Jos. Bennett, Charlesworth
Horse Shoe, Samuel Pickford, Chunal
Junction, Thomas Preston, Green vale
King's Arms, Samuel Cooper, Chew wood
Royal Oak, Joshua Shepley, Cock road
Spinners' Arms, Jonathan Shaw, Hadfield
Spread Eagle, Ths. Bowden, Woolley bridge

Retailers of Beer.
Barber Mary, Padfield
Bradbury George, Charlestown
Cooper Wright, Green vale
Crowther Mary, Woolley bridge
Dewsnap Joseph, Woolley bridge
Dewsnap Robert, Glossop
Dewsnap William, Green vale
Ford John, Howard's town
Hacking Thomas, Woolley bridge
Hall John, Whitfield
Hampson Jordan, Mill town
Hampson Robert, Hadfield
Harrop Thomas, Howard's town
Jackson James, Charlesworth
Knott John, Glossop
Linney Betty, Mill town
Priestnall William, Charlestown
Robinson James, Whitfield
Rolley John, Hadfield
Schofield John, Rose green
Shaw Ellen, Chunal
Siddall John, Green vale
Wagstaffe Robert, Howard's town
Wait Joseph, Glossop
Wilde Robert, Glossop
Wood Ellen, Padfield
Woolley John, Howard's town

TIN-PLATE WORKERS
Hegginbottom Jos.
Howard's town
Lawton Caleb, Glossop
Wait Joseph, Glossop

WHEELWRIGHTS.
Beard Joseph, Charlesworth
Bennett Samuel, Dinting bridge
Cockayne Samuel, Mill town
Fielding Thomas, Whitfield
Longdon Nathan, Padfield

Miscellaneous.
Aveson Robert, corn miller, Mill town
Bennett George Creswell, roller coverer, Mill town
Booth Jas. machine maker, Charlesworth
Broadbent Abraham, cotton doublr, Glossop
Collier Thos. watch, &c maker, Howard's town
Dawson Josephus, Slater and plasterer, Charlesworth
Hampson Charles, cooper, Rose green
Hardman Jas. saddler, &c. Howard's town
Kinder Edwin, warve maker, Glossop
Langstaff Thomas, cotton waste dealer, Rose green
Lee Levi, wood skewer maker, Glossop
Ovens Thomas, hatter, Howard's town
Preston Thomas, auctioneer, Green vale
Rhodes John, vety. surgeon, Howard's town
Shaw John, inventor & maker of valve trumpets and horns, Mill town
Shepley Joseph, tanner, Charlesworth
Shepley Saml. currier &c. Howard's town
Sheppard Abram, bookseller, &c. Glossop
Thorneley John, coal proprietor, Holehouse
White George, stone merchant, Whitfield

COACHES.
To MANCHESTER, the Royal Mail, from the Norfolk Arms, every morning
at six:- the Umpire (from Sheffield) calls at the same Inn every
afternoon at half-past one:- and the Regulator, every evening at
half-past seven; all go thro' Mottram, Stalybridge, Ashton, &c,
To SHEFFIELD, the Regulator (from Manchester) calls at the Norfolk
Arms, every forenoon at eleven:- & the Umpire, every afternoon at
half-past one.

CARRIERS.
From GLOSSOP, when not otherwise expressed.
To MANCHESTER, Ann Johnson, daily:- Thomas Knott, every Tues,
Thurs, and Saturday:- John Burgess & James Harrop, every Tuesday
and Saturday:- and Jasper Warhurst and Simeon Lee, from Hadfield,
every Tuesday & Sat.
To SHEFFIELD, Ann Johnson, daily.
To STOCKPORT, Henry Sheppard, every Friday:- and William Sheppard,
every Tuesday and Friday.

Description(s) from Pigot and Co's Commercial Directory for Derbyshire, 1835.
Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie in May 1996.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://texts.wishful-thinking.org.uk/Pigot1835/Glossop.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library