Yarkhill, Herefordshire

Extract from Littlebury's Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire, 1876-7
with Private and Commercial Residents

Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2004

YARKHILL is a parish and village situated on the river Froome, being distant 7½ miles N.E. of Hereford, 8 N.W. of Ledbury, and about 1 mile N. of Stoke Edith railway station. The Worcester and Hereford branch of the Great Western railway passes on the S.E. and S.W. sides of the parish, and the Hereford and Gloucester canal on the N.E. side. It is in Radlow hundred, Ledbury union, petty sessional division, and county court district, and Tarrington polling district. The population in 1861 was 568; in 1871, 472; inhabited houses, 100; families or separate occupiers, 119; area of parish, 1,620a. 2r. 33p.; annual rateable value, £3,086. The Right Hon. Lady Emily Foley, of Stoke Edith park, is lady of the manor. The principal landowners are the Lady Emily Foley, the Rev. William Poole, of Hentland, near Ross, the Governors of St. Catherine's Hospital, Ledbury, John Brace Vevers, Esq., of Hampton park, Hereford, John Cleife, Esq., Mr. John Hollings, and the representatives of the late Admiral George Ferguson. The soil is a stiff clay and is very fertile; chief crops, wheat, beans, hops, fruit, &c. Yarkhill is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Hereford and rural deanery of South Froome; living, a vicarage; value, £220, with residence and 10 acres of glebe; patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Hereford; vicar, Rev. John Woollam, M.A., of St. John's College, Oxford; who was instituted in 1868.

The church, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, was partly rebuilt and completely restored in 1863 at a cost of £1,180, under the superintendence of T. Blashill, Esq., of 10 Old Jewry chambers, London. It is a neat stone edifice, with Bath stone dressings, having a square castellated tower, nave, chancel, vestry, &c. An organ was added in 1868, at a cost of £100. The earliest register is dated 1559. The charities belonging to the parish amount to about £7 yearly. The national school was erected in 1866 at the sole expense of the late vicar (Rev. Thomas Hugh Bird), on a convenient site presented by the Lady Emily Foley. It was originally built for 68 children, but was enlarged in 1874 by the Lady Emily Foley, so as to accommodate the children from Weston Beggard parish. There is room now for 140 children. The building is of red brick with Bath stone dressings, and there is a residence for the master and mistress attached. The Vicarage House is beautifully situated, commanding a pleasant view of Stoke Edith park in the foreground, and of the Hatteral and Malvern hills on the right and left in the distance. At Newtown is a chapel used for Sunday school and services in connection with the Established church.

POSTAL REGULATIONS.- Mrs. Mary Jones, Sub-Postmistress, Newtown. Letters arrive by messenger from Ledbury about 11.30 a.m.; despatched thereto at 2.30 p.m. Letters for the Vicarage and the western side of the parish are received through Hereford. Tarrington is the nearest money order office. Postal telegrams may be sent from Stoke Edith railway station. Post towns, Ledbury and Hereford.
Parish Church (St. John the Baptist).- Rev. John Woollam, M.A., Vicar; Messrs. George Hall and John Edwards Vevers, Churchwardens; John Lewis, Parish Clerk.
National School (boys, girls, and infants).- Mr. John Hensley Sparks, Master; Miss Elizabeth Bowlcott, Mistress.
Sunday School and Chapel of Ease, Newtown.
Carrier to Hereford.- John Bounds (from Stretton-Grandison) passes through Newtown on Wednesdays and Saturdays; stops at the Coach and Horses Inn, Hereford.
PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
Pritchard Mr., The Castles
Vevers Mr. John Edwards, Yarkhill court
Woollam Rev. John, M.A. (vicar), The Vicarage
COMMERCIAL.
Bowcott William, shopkeeper and cottage farmer, Monkhide
Cole Mrs. Thomas, farmer, New house
Cole William, shoemaker, Newtown
Cox Alfred, cooper, Monkhide
Foley Joseph, coal dealer and shopkeeper, The Wharf, Newtown
Hall George, farmer & hop grwr., Garford
Hankins Richard, farmer, Newtown
Hollings John, farmer and landowner, Green lane
Jones Mrs. Mary, shopkeeper and sub-postmistress, Newtown
Jones Easthope W., farmer and hop grower, Pridewood
Lewis Herbert, wheelwright, Grove
Lewis James, wheelwright and implement maker, Lower Cotts
Lewis John, wheelwright, carpenter, and parish clerk, Upper Cotts
Moore James, farmer and hop grower, Monkbury court
Morris Mrs. Deborah, farmer, Monkhide
Morris E., farmer and hop grower, Little Yarkhill
Morris Edward, farmer and hop grower, Middle court
Savigar Mrs. S., farmer and haulier, Newtown
Smith Ann & Sons, farmers, and coal and cider dealers
Smith John, New Inn, Newtown
Smith S., farmer and hop grower, The Castles farm
Sparks John Hensley, certificated master of the joint school for Yarkhill and Weston-Beggard; lay assistant to the vicar of Yarkhill; and agent for the Church of England life and fire assurance institution
Trumper Thomas, freeholder, The Castles
Vevers John Edwards, farmer and hop grower, Yarkhill court
Wargent Thomas, shoemaker
Wood Mrs., shopkpr., Green la., Newtown
Wood Richard, shoemaker, Newtown
Woodhouse Robt., shoema. & shopkeeper

OCR/Transcription by Rosemary Lockie in March 2004.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://texts.wishful-thinking.org.uk/Littlebury1876/Yarkhill.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library