Wormsley, Herefordshire

Extract from Littlebury's Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire, 1876-7
with Private and Commercial Residents

Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2004

WORMSLEY is a small parish intersected by the road leading from Weobley to Hereford; is distant 2 miles N.E. of Moorhampton railway station, 3 S.E. of Weobley, 8 N.W. of Hereford, and 10 S.S.W. of Leominster; is in Grimsworth hundred, Weobley union and petty sessional division, Yazor polling district, and Hereford county court district. The population in 1861 was 121; in 1871, 87; inhabited houses, 18; families or separate occupiers, 19; area of parish, 1,233 acres; annual rateable value, £1,100. Andrew Rouse Boughton Knight, Esq., of Downton castle, who is lord of the manor, Major Daniel Peploe Peploe, M.P., of Garnstone castle, and the Rev. George Horatio Davenport, of Foxley, are the chief landowners. The soil is clayey and gravelly; subsoil, clay; products, wheat, barley, roots, oats, &c. The parish affords some delightful and extensive scenery, embracing the Malvern hills, in Worcestershire; and the Clee hills, in Shropshire. A priory of Augustine canons, of the order of St. Victor, was founded here by Gilbert Talbot in the time of King John, and dedicated to St. Leonard de Pyona; its revenues at the period of the dissolution were valued at £83 10s. 2d. per annum. Wormsley is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Hereford and rural deanery of Weobley; living, a vicarage; value, £60, with 4 acres of glebe; patron, A.R. Boughton Knight, Esq.; vicar, Rev. Rowland Hill, M.A., of Worcester College, Oxford, who was instituted in 1854, and resides at Mansell Lacy. The church of St. Mary, formerly much dilapidated, has been beautifully restored, and the chancel rebuilt. The floor is laid in encaustic tiles, bordered with stone pavement. There is a handsome stained window in the chancel. The bell-turret is exceedingly beautiful - of Early English architecture. In the churchyard are several massive granite monuments, with Latin inscriptions, to the Knight family. The children of this parish go to Yazor and Brinsop schools. Grange House, an extensive farm, the property of A.R. Boughton Knight, Esq., is situate in a very secluded spot about 1½ miles N.E. from the church.

POSTAL REGULATIONS.- Letters are received through Weobley, R.S.O., which is the nearest money order and telegraph office.
Parish Church (St. Mary's).- Rev. Rowland Hill, M.A., Vicar; John Rees, Parish Clerk.
PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
(None listed)
COMMERCIAL.
Godsall Mrs., farmer, Upper house
Griffiths Henry, farmer, Grange house; res., Brick house, Canon Pyon
Hall Henry, farmer, Wormsley hill; res., Yarsop, Yazor
Jones Philip, farmer, Wormsley court
Rees John, parish clerk

OCR/Transcription by Rosemary Lockie in March 2004.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://texts.wishful-thinking.org.uk/Littlebury1876/Wormsley.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library