Wormbridge, Herefordshire

Extract from Littlebury's Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire, 1876-7
with Private and Commercial Residents

Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2004

WORMBRIDGE is a small parish and village situated on Worm brook, and on the main road leading from Hereford to Abergavenny, and at the entrance of the Golden valley; is distant 8½ miles S.W. of Hereford, 16 N.E. of Abergavenny, 15 N.W. of Monmouth, and about 1 mile S.W. of St. Devereux station on the Newport, Abergavenny, and Hereford branch of the Great Western railway (West Midland section). It is in Webtree hundred, Dore union and petty sessional division, Ewyas Harold polling district, and Hereford county court district. The population in 186 was 91; in 1871, 110; inhabited houses, 19; families or separate occupiers, 20; area of parish, 720 acres; annual rateable value, £1,095. The Rev. Archer Clive, of Whitfield, is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is clayey and loamy; subsoil, limestone; chief crops, wheat, barley, roots, &c. The parish contains a great deal of valuable wood, which is principally oak. Wormbridge is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Hereford and rural deanery of Archenfield; living, a perpetual curacy, with the rectory of St. Devereux annexed; joint value, £305, inclusive of 56 acres of glebe; patron, Rev. Archer Clive, M.A.; rector, Rev. David John George, M.A., of Jesus College, Oxford, who was instituted in 1837, and resides at Trelough, in St. Devereux parish. The church is an ancient stone edifice in the Norman style of architecture, with nave, chancel, porch, and square tower containing one bell. The tower was rebuilt and the church restored in 1858, at a cost of £1,300. There is a district national school for the accommodation of the children of Wormbridge, St. Devereux, Treville, and Kenderchurch. It is under government inspection, and has a certificated master, with an average attendance of 45 children.

POSTAL REGULATIONS.- James Sayce, Sub-Postmaster. Letters arrive from Hereford at 8.20 a.m.; despatched thereto at 5.20 p.m. Letters can be registered here. Ewyas Harold is the nearest money order and telegraph office. Post town, Hereford.
Parish Church.- Rev. David John George, M.A., Incumbent; Mr. John Davies, Churchwarden; Christopher Reed, Parish Clerk.
District National School (boys and girls).- Mr. Christopher Reed, Master; Mrs. E. Reed, Mistress.
PRIVATE RESIDENT.
Westropp Rev. Charles John, B.A. (vicar of Kenderchurch and of Killpeck), Wormbridge place
COMMERCIAL.
Apperley John, farmer, New house
Berrow John, miller and farmer, Wormbridge steam and water flour mills
Davies John, farmer, Court farm
Lewis Philip, frmr. and landowner, Keyo
Matthews Henry, farmer, Old Mill farm
PREECE JAMES, wheelwright, spring cart and van builder, agricultural implement maker, and general smith (see Hereford advertisements page 48)
Preece John, wheelwright and beer rtlr.
Reed Christopher, schoolmaster and parish clerk
Sayce James, sub-postmaster and shoemaker

OCR/Transcription by Rosemary Lockie in March 2004.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://texts.wishful-thinking.org.uk/Littlebury1876/Wormbridge.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library