Wolferlow, Herefordshire

Extract from Littlebury's Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire, 1876-7
with Private and Commercial Residents

Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2004

WOLFERLOW is a parish situated a short distance W. of the main road leading from Bromyard to Stourport, which here divides the counties of Hereford and Worcester; is distant 6 miles N. of Bromyard, 7 S.E. of Tenbury, 12 E.N.E. of Leominster, and 19 N.E. of Hereford; is in Broxash hundred, Bromyard union, petty sessional division, and county court district, and High Lane (Tedstone Wafer) polling district. The population in 1861 was 112; in 1871, 126; inhabited houses, 23; families or separate occupiers, 23; area of parish, 1,535a. 0r. 37p.; annual rateable value, £1,570. William Barneby, Esq., of Saltmarshe castle, is the chief landowner. Francis Weare, Esq., and William Willetts, Esq., are also landowners here. The soil is clayey, producing wheat, beans, peas, hops, fruit, &c. The river Froome takes its rise in this parish. The farms are rather scattered, and the scenery is very romantic. Wolferlow is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Hereford and rural deanery of North Froome; living, a vicarage; value, £222, with residence and 2 acres of glebe; patron, William Barneby, Esq.; vicar, Rev. Charles Uppleby Bower, M.A., of St. John's College, Cambridge, who was instituted in 1873. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, is an ancient Norman edifice, with nave, chancel and vestry, porch, and tower with short spire and two bells. It was restored in 1863 at a cost of £800. The east window is of stained glass by Messrs. Ward & Hughes, of London; and there is a stone reredos, with marble shafts, by Mr. W. Forsyth, of Worcester. A memorial brass, by Messrs. Thomason & Co., of Birmingham, bears the following inscription:-

"The reredos and east window in this church were erected by the friends and parishioners of the Rev. J.H.C. Wright, M.A., for 17 years rector of this parish, to perpetuate the memory of his labours for the public good, and his faithfulness as pastor of his flock. He died on the 16th of May, 1871, aged 49 years."

The parish registers commence with the year 1629. The charities amount to £3 11s. 2d. yearly. The children from this parish are accommodated at Stoke Bliss and High Lane schools.

POSTAL REGULATIONS.- Letters arrive by messenger from Tenbury about 11 a.m. Clifton-on-Teme is the nearest money order office. Bromyard and Tenbury are the nearest telegraph offices. Post town, Tenbury.
Parish Church (St. Andrew's).- Rev. Charles Uppleby Bower, M.A., Vicar; Mr. William Baldwin, Churchwarden; James Lerry, Parish Clerk.
PRIVATE RESIDENT.
Bower Rev. Chas. Uppleby, M.A. (vicar) The Vicarage
COMMERCIAL.
Baldwin William, farmer and hop grower Lower Underley
Cooper Charles, farmer, Court house
Cooper Henry, farmer, The Park
Cowles Mrs. Sarah, farmer, Upper house
Dallow Thomas, carpenter and wheelwright
Finney Charles, farmer, Forty acres; and at Cutnal, Tedstone Wafer
Johnson Henry, farmer, The Heath
Jones Edward, farmer and hop grower, Upper Underley
Jones John, farmer, Powiswick

OCR/Transcription by Rosemary Lockie in March 2004.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://texts.wishful-thinking.org.uk/Littlebury1876/Wolferlow.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library