Withington, Herefordshire

Extract from Littlebury's Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire, 1876-7
with Private and Commercial Residents

Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2004

WITHINGTON is a parish and village with a railway station on the Worcester and Hereford branch of the Great Western railway, distant 4½ miles N.E. of Hereford, 11 S.W. of Bromyard, 12 W.N.W. of Ledbury, 11 S.S.E. of Leominster, and 30 N.W. of Gloucester. The Hereford and Bromyard road, and the Hereford and Gloucester canal, intersect the parish, which is in Broxash hundred, Hereford union, county court district, polling district, and petty sessional division. The population in 1861 was 788; in 1871, 784; inhabited houses, 179; families or separate occupiers, 192; area of parish, 2,143a. 3r. 18p.; annual rateable value, £6,182. The Ecclesiastical Commissioners are lords of the manor; and the principal landowners are the Rev. Henry Glossop, Henry Higgins, Esq., William Havard Apperley, Esq., Mrs. Jancey, and Mrs. M. Clarke. The soil is clayey and loamy; subsoil, block stone; chief produce, wheat, beans, hops, and fruit. Withington is in the diocese, archdeaconry, and rural deanery of Hereford; the living has been recently constituted a rectory; value, £417 9s. 7d., with residence; the tithes are commuted at £132 7s., with 16 acres of glebe, to which the Ecclesiastical Commissioners added a farm (Nunington court) of 100 acres; patron, the Lord Bishop of Hereford; rector, Rev. Charles Henry Philip Abbot, M.A., of Christ Church, Oxford, who was instituted in 1868.

The church, dedicated to St. Peter, is an ancient stone edifice with nave, chancel, porch, and substantial square tower (with very handsome spire) containing six bells. It was restored in 1858 at a cost of £900. The ancient chancel screen is an elaborate piece of wood carving. The parish register goes back to the year 1573. There is a Public Elementary school for boys and girls, supported by subscriptions, also a small endowment of £5 16s. which is expended under a scheme of the Commissioners. New school buildings, to accommodate 132 children, with a residence for the mistress, were built in 1872, at a cost of over £1,000. The average attendance is about 80. There is a Baptist chapel at Whitestone. There are several handsome residences and excellent farm-houses in this parish. One of the finest mansions in the county has been recently erected by Henry Higgins, Esq., J.P., D.L., on an eminence which still bears its Saxon name of Thing-hill, or, the Hill of Council. It is built in the castellated style, and is a conspicuous object for many miles. It commands a magnificent view of an immense range of fruitful country. Withington Court, the property and residence of Mrs. Clarke, is an ancient Gothic stone mansion, pleasantly situated near the church. Adjoining the railway station is Mr. William Godwin's well-known "Lugwardine Encaustic Tile Works", for the manufacture of encaustic and tesseræ tiles, in every variety of design and colour, for pavements of churches, entrance halls, &c. These tiles are in great demand, and have been patronised by Her Majesty and a number of the nobility, clergy, and gentry. Nunington is distant 1 mile W. of Withington church.

POSTAL REGULATIONS.- Edward Carey, Sub-Postmaster. Letters arrive by messenger from Hereford at 9 a.m.; despatched thereto at 4.30 p.m. Letters can be registered here. Postal telegrams may be sent from Withington railway station. The wall letter-box at Nunington is cleared at 4.45 p.m., that at Whitestone at 5.30 p.m., on week-days only. Hereford is the nearest money order office and post town.
Parish Church (St. Peters).- Rev. Charles Henry Philip Abbot, M.A., Rector; Messrs. William Havard Apperley and Henry Morgan, Churchwardens; William Edwards, Parish Clerk.
Parochial School (boys and girls).- Miss Louisa Jefferis, Mistress.
Baptist Chapel, Whitestone.- Rev. James William Carter, Minister.
Assistant Overseer and Collector of Taxes.- Mr. William Birt.
Railway Station (West Midland section of Great Western Railway).- Mr. Edwin Munslow, Station Master.
Carriers to Hereford.- Thomas Bowcott, Henry Davies, and William Cross, passing through every Wednesday and Saturday; generally stop at the Cross Keys Inn.
PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
Abbot Rev. Charles Henry Philip, M.A. (rector), The Rectory
Apperley William Havard, Esq., Lower house
Aston John Charles, Esq., Barnamore ho.
Carter Rev. James William (Baptist), Whitestone
Clarke Mrs., Withington court
Godwin Mr. William Henry
Hamp Mrs Frances, Lower Wilcroft
Higgins Henry,Esq., J.P.,D.L., Thing-hill
Hill Miss, The Laurels, Nunington
Kedward Miss Ann, Elm villa
Mason John, Esq., The Lawn, Nunington
Taylor William, Esq., Thing-hill court
Wheeler Mr. Richd., Eau Withington ho.
COMMERCIAL.
Apperley William Havard, farmer, landowner, land agent, and surveyor, Lower house; office, 21 East street, Hereford
Baylis John, shopkpr., Withington corner
Birt William, assistant overseer and collector of taxes
Bowen Henry, basket maker, Whitestone
Bowen James, boot and shoe maker
Bunn George, farmer, Marsh farm
Carey Edward, grocer, provision dealer, and sub-postmaster, Rose cottage
Clarke Mrs., landowner, farmer, and hop grower, Withington Court farm
Corbett William, wheelwright and cooper
Edwards John, cottage farmer, Palmore
Edwards William, cooper and parish clerk
Ford Edwin John, farmer and hop grower, Eau Withington court
Godsall Jn., frmr. & hop gr., Weston corner
GODWIN WILLIAM, manufacturer of encaustic tiles, tesselated pavements, &c., for churches, entrance halls, &c.; Lugwardine encaustic tile works, near the Railway station (see advertisement at end of Hereford descriptive matter)
Harris Martin, farmer and butcher
Hayes Joseph, carpenter, Duke street
Hazelby Wm., comrcl. traveller, Stile ho.
Jancey William, carpenter, Northcotts
JAY CHARLES, coal, coke, and lime merchant, and dealer in artificial manures, depot at Railway station; res., Shucknall, Weston-Beggard
Jay Geo., shopkeeper, Withington corner
Jefferis Miss L., schoolmstrss., School bo.
Langley Robert, salesman for the South Wales coal company, Railway station
Lee Wm., beer retailer (Railway Inn)
Lewis William, blacksmith
Morgan George, farmer, Veldo
Morgan Henry, farmer and hop grower, Nunington court
Morgan William, tailor, Whitestone
Morris Thomas, carpenter and cot. farmer
Munslow Edwin, station master, Rlwy. sta.
Napper John, canal inspector, Withington wharf
Nicholl Wm., Old Cross Keys Inn, & frmr.
Norman Thomas, boot and shoe maker
Powell James, farmer, Marsh
Powell Mrs. M.A., shopkeeper, Whitestone
Powell Mrs. S., cot. farmer, Whitestone
Powell William, farm bailiff for W.H. Apperley, Esq., Stone house
Price Henry, farmer, West Lydiat
Price William, boot and shoe maker
Pritchard Thomas, carpenter
Pumpbrey John, New Cross Keys Inn,
shopkeeper, coal and timber dealer
Reece James, boot and shoe maker
South James, cottage farmer
South Wales Coal Company, coal, coke, and lime merchants, depot at Railway station (Robert Langley, Salesman); head offices, West street, Hereford
Tasker ___, butcher & farmer, Bank ho.
Taylor William, landowner, farmer, and hop grower, Thing-hill court
Wheeler William Nelson, farmer and hop grower, Eau Withington
Williams James, beer retailer and shopkeeper, Canal side (in Marden parish)
Wilson Wm., frmr., Eau Withington fm.

OCR/Transcription by Rosemary Lockie in July 2004.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://texts.wishful-thinking.org.uk/Littlebury1876/Withington.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library