Winforton, Herefordshire

Extract from Littlebury's Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire, 1876-7
with Private and Commercial Residents

Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2004

WINFORTON (anciently Widferdestune) is a small parish and village situated on the northern bank of the river Wye, and on the main road leading from Hereford to Hay via Whitney. It is distant 6 miles N.E. of Hay, 7½ S. of Kington, 14½ W.N.W. of Hereford, and about 1¼ S.W. of Eardisley station on the Hereford, Hay, and Brecon branch of the Midland railway. It is in Huntington hundred, Kington union and county court district, Eardisley polling district, and Bredwardine petty sessional division. The population in 1861 was 162; in 1871, 150; inhabited houses, 34; families or separate occupiers, 35; area of parish, 1,099 acres; annual rateable value, £2,050. The Rev. Henry Blisset, of Letton court, is lord of the manor and principal landowner. George C. Dale, Esq., is also a landowner here. The soil is chiefly alluvial; subsoil, gravel and clay; products, wheat, barley, roots, fruit, &c. Winforton is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Hereford and rural deanery of Weobley; living, a rectory; value, £260, with residence and 16 acres of glebe; patron, Rev. Henry Blisset, M.A.; rector, Rev. Thomas Kearsey Thomas, M.A., of St. John's College, Oxford, who was instituted in 1860. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, is an ancient stone edifice, with nave, chancel, north transept, and tower (partly of wood) containing five bells. The earliest register is dated 1690. There is a school for boys and girls, erected in 1872 at the joint expense of the Rev. H. Blisset and the parishioners. It will accommodate 30 children; the present average attendance is about 20. The late John Freeman, Esq., endowed it with £12 yearly. The Sunday school is conducted by the rector and his family. Winforton Court is the residence of Miss Domvile.

POSTAL REGULATIONS.- Joseph Penny, Sub-Postmaster. Letters arrive by mail-cart at 7.30 a.m.; despatched at 6.15 p.m. Letters can be registered here. Eardisley is the nearest money order and telegraph office. Winforton being what is termed a Railway Sub-office, letters should be addressed - Winforton, R.S.O. (Herefordshire.)
Parish Church (St. Michael's).- Rev. Thomas Kearsey Thomas, M.A., Rector; Mr. John Wilkinson, Churchwarden; Joseph Penny, Parish Clerk.
Parochial School (boys and girls).- Miss E. Heaven, Mistress.
PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
Domvile Miss Caroline Louisa, Winforton court
Gough Mrs., Laurel cottage
Holl Robert, Esq., Rockville
Thomas Rev. Thomas Kearsey, M.A. (rector), The Rectory
Turner Miss Susan, Southfield
COMMERCIAL.
Andrews Jas., frmr., Winforton court fm.
Colcomb John, farmer, Winforton wood
East Thomas, beer retailer, grocer, and cottage farmer (The Sycamore), Stowe
Freeman George, Sun Inn, and farmer
Heaven Miss, schoolmistress
Jones John, farmer, The Old farm; res., Lower hill, Hope-under-Dinmore, Leominster
Lewis James, farm bailiff, The Old farm
Merrick Mrs. Emily, freeholder, Nicholas common
Penny Joseph, sub-postmaster and frmr.
Price Richard, blacksmith
Price William, carpenter and wheelwright
Wilkinson John, farmer, Cross farm
Williams Richard, gardener to Miss Domvile, The Lodge

OCR/Transcription by Rosemary Lockie in July 2004.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://texts.wishful-thinking.org.uk/Littlebury1876/Winforton.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library