Willey, Herefordshire

Extract from Littlebury's Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire, 1876-7
with Private and Commercial Residents

Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2002, 2004

WILLEY is a township of the parish of Presteigne (Radnorshire), but situated in the county of Hereford. It is distant from 2 to 5 miles N.N.W. of Presteigne station on the Kington and Presteigne railway, and about 4½ S.E. of Knighton station on the Central Wales railway. It is in Wigmore hundred, petty sessional division, and polling district, Presteigne union and county court district. The population in 1861 was 158; in 1871, 137; inhabited houses, 21; families or separate occupiers, 21; area of township, 2,104a. 0r. 36p.; annual rateable value, £1,440. Sir Harford James Jones Brydges, Bart., and F. Bodenbam, Esq., are the chief landowners. The soil is loamy, producing wheat, barley, oats, roots, &c. The farms are widely scattered, and the scenery is most rural, romantic, and pleasing; the prospects from the adjacent eminences are incomparably fine, and interesting to every lover of landscape.

POSTAL REGULATIONS.- Letters arrive by messenger from Presteigne about 11 a.m. Presteigne is the nearest money order and telegraph office. Letters should be addressed - Willey, Presteigne, R.S.O.
Primitive Methodist Chapel.- Ministers various.
COMMERCIAL.
Bryan John, farmer, Willey cottage
Bufton John, farmer, Old hall and Upper house farms
Davies Edward, farmer, Lower house and Willey lane farms
Davies John Hunt, farmer
Davies Richd., frmr. & shopkpr., Pant hall
Davies Thomas, farmer, Willey lodge
Lewis John Evan, farmer, Willey hall
Lewis Thomas, farmer, Tipton
Monnington William J., farmer, Stocking

OCR/Transcription by Rosemary Lockie in September 2002/June 2004.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://texts.wishful-thinking.org.uk/Littlebury1876/Willey.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library