Willersley, Herefordshire

Extract from Littlebury's Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire, 1876-7
with Private and Commercial Residents

Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2004

WILLERSLEY (anciently Willarslege) is a very small parish situated on the northern bank of the river Wye, at the junction of the roads leading to Hay and Kington, and about 1 mile S. of Eardisley station on the Hereford, Hay, and Brecon branch of the Midland railway. It is distant 6½ miles N.E. of Hay, the same distance S. of Kington, and 13½ W.N.W. of Hereford; is in Huntington hundred, Kington union and county court district, Eardisley polling district, and Bredwardine petty sessional division. The population in 1861 was 13; in 1871, 9, consisting of the inhabitants of one house only; area of parish, 230 acres; annual rateable value, £450. The Rev. Henry Blisset, of Letton court, is lord of the manor and chief landowner. The soil is loamy, producing wheat, barley, roots, beans, and pasture. Willersley is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Hereford and rural deanery of Weobley; living, a rectory; value, £86; patron, Rev. Henry Blisset, M.A.; rector, Rev. Thomas Whitley, M.A., of Emmanuel College, Cambridge, who was instituted in 1871, and resides at Letton rectory. The church is a plain little structure, of stone, with nave, chancel, and a wooden turret containing one bell.

POSTAL REGULATIONS.- Letters are received from Hereford via Eardisley, R.S.O., which is the nearest money order and telegraph office.
Parish Church.- Rev. Thomas Whitley, M.A., Rector; Mr. John Marston, Churchwarden.
RESIDENT.- Marston John, farmer and landowner, Willersley court.

OCR/Transcription by Rosemary Lockie in July 2004.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://texts.wishful-thinking.org.uk/Littlebury1876/Willersley.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library