Whitney, Herefordshire

Extract from Littlebury's Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire, 1876-7
with Private and Commercial Residents

Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2004

WHITNEY is a parish and railway station on the Hereford, Hay, and Brecon branch of the Midland railway, and on the northern bank of the river Wye; is distant 16¾ miles W.N.W. of Hereford, 4 N.N.E. of Hay, and 9 S. of Kington; is in Huntington hundred, Hay union and county court district, Eardisley polling district, and Bredwardine petty sessional division. The population in 1861 was 260; in 1871, 278; inhabited houses, 58; families or separate occupiers, 60; area of parish, 1,483 acres; annual rateable value, £2,980. Tomkyns Dew; Esq., of Whitney court, is lord of the manor and principal landowner. Mrs. Spencer Phillips, Miss Mary Sirrell, Mr. George Roberts, Mr. John Colley, and Mr. Edward Prosser, are also landowners here. The soil is clay and loam on the higher parts of the parish, and rich alluvial on the, lower level; the subsoil is gravelly in the valley; much of the high land is underlaid with rock and marl. The river Wye winds through the parish, which is most beautifully wooded, has rich pasture-lands, and magnificent scenery. There are two bridges (one of which is very handsome) over the Wye. Whitney is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Hereford and rural deanery of Weobley; living, a rectory; value, £234, with residence and 17 acres of glebe; patron, Tomkyns Dew, Esq.; rector, Rev. Henry Dew, B.A., of Jesus College, Cambridge, who was instituted in 1843. The old church, which formerly stood on the banks of the Wye, was washed down together with the Rectory house in the year 1730.

The present church of St. Paul was erected in 1740, at the sole expense of Mr. Wardour, then resident at Whitney court. It is a substantial stone edifice, with nave, chancel, and tower containing five bells. The chancel was entirely restored by the rector in 1868. The bells, which are large and of fine tone, were rehung (and one recast) in 1869. The east window has been recently filled with stained glass, as a memorial to the late Captain Roderick Dew, C.B., R.N., who died at Lisbon, March 24th, 1869, when in command of Her Majesty's ship Northumberland. The subject represents our Saviour saving St. Peter in his attempt to walk on the sea. A beautiful marble tomb bearing date 1698, and the ancient font, were recovered from the ruins of the old church. The earliest register is dated 1612. The parochial school, for boys and girls, is under government inspection. It is supported by subscription, and affords instruction to about 40 children. The school-house, with residence for the mistress, was erected in 1845 by the present rector, assisted by voluntary contributions. Whitney Court is the seat of Tomkyns Dew, Esq., J.P. and D.L. for Herefordshire and Brecknockshire, who was called to the bar at the Inner Temple in 1842.

POSTAL REGULATIONS.- George Roberts, Sub-Postmaster. Letters arrive by mail-cart from Kington at 8.15 a.m.; despatched thereto at 5.30 p.m. Eardisley and Hay are the nearest money order and telegraph offices. Whitney being what is termed a Railway Sub-office, letters should be addressed - Whitney, R.S.O. (Herefordshire.)
Parish Church (St. Paul's).- Rev. Henry Dew, B.A., Rector; Messrs. William R. Dewing and John Mann, Churchwardens; John Turner, Parish Clerk.
Parochial School (mixed).- Miss Medina Catherine Lawrence, Mistress.
Railway Station (Hereford, flay, and Brecon branch of Midland Railway).- Mr. Herbert, Station Master.
Police Station.- George Ovens, Resident Sergeant.
Whitney and Bredwardine Turnpike Trust.- Charles Griffiths, Esq., Clerk; office Hay
PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
Beaven The Misses, Church house
Dew Rev. Henry, B.A. and J.P. (rector), The Rectory
Dew Tomkyns, Esq., J.P. and D.L. (for Herefordshire and Brecknockshire), Whitney court
Sirrell Miss Mary
COMMERCIAL.
Blackler John, farm bailiff to Tomkyns
Dew, Esq., J.P., D.L., Millhalf
Bowen Charles, blacksmith, Stow
Bowen Mrs. Elizabeth, freeholder
Bowen Walter, boot and shoe maker
Colley John, farmer and landowner, Orchard place
Davies George, farmer, Freeman's wood
Dewing William R., farmer, Stow farm
Edwards Thomas, hurdle maker
Evans George, commission agent
Evans John, tailor
Evans Wm., toll collector, Whitney bdge.
Herbert Mr., station master, Railway sta.
Hodges William, wood ranger
Lane George, head gardener to Tomkyns
Dew, Esq., J.P., D.L., The Lodge
Lawrence Miss Medina Catherine, schoolmistress, School house
LEONARD HENRY WILLIAM, coal, lime, & timber mrcht., builder & contractor, agent for Lawes' manures, depot at Railway sta.; res., Vallet cot.
Mann John, Boat Inn, and farmer
Morgan John, frmr., Lower ho., Millhalf
Ovens George, police sergeant
Powell S., farmer, The Knapp
Prosser Edward, farmer, Whitney wood
Roberts George, sub-postmaster, farmer, and landowner, Post office
Snead John, carpenter
Stevens P., miller & frmr., Whitney mill
Stinchcombe Edwin, gamekeeper for Tomkyns Dew, Esq., J.P., D.L.
Swain John, farm bailiff Carriers house
Turner John, parish clerk and wheelwright, Millhalf
Williams Edward, farmer, Cuckoo's nest

OCR/Transcription by Rosemary Lockie in July 2004.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://texts.wishful-thinking.org.uk/Littlebury1876/Whitney.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library