Whitbourne, Herefordshire

Extract from Littlebury's Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire, 1876-7
with Private and Commercial Residents

Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2004

WHITBOURNE is an extensive parish and pleasant village situated on the main road leading from Worcester to Bromyard, and on the river Teme, which bounds the parish on the east, and here divides the counties of Hereford and Worcester. The village is within 2 miles of Knightwick station on the Worcester and Bromyard railway; is distant 10 miles N.W. of Worcester, 5 E.N.E. of Bromyard, 17 E. of Leominster, 19 N.E. of Hereford, and 12 S.E. of Tenbury; is in Broxash hundred, Bromyard union, petty sessional division, and county court district, and High Lane (Tedstone Wafer) polling district. The population in 1861 was 891; in 1871, 856; inhabited houses, 187; families or separate occupiers, 189; area of parish, 2,760a. 2r. 11p.; annual rateable value, £5,718 10s. The Lord Bishop of Hereford is lord of the manor. The principal landowners are Edward Bickerton Evans, Esq., of Whitbourne hall, Rev. Arthur Childe, of Edvin Ralph rectory, Joseph Lamburne Smith, Esq., of Ledbury, Rev. George P. Griffiths, of Cheltenham, and John Habington Barneby Lutley, Esq., of Brockhampton, Bromyard.

The soil is clayey; subsoil, gravel and sandstone; chief produce, wheat, beans, hops, fruit, &c. The scenery in this neighbourhood is very fine, the Teme running most fantastically between the finely-wooded heights, which lend so great an attraction to this spot. In the vicinity were formerly two entrenchments, the one Roman, the other of British origin; they were situated on the opposite sides of a valley, but the traces of both are now almost obliterated. Whitbourne is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Hereford and rural deanery of North Froome; living, a rectory; value, £542, with residence and 35 acres of glebe; patron, the Lord Bishop of Hereford; rector, Rev. George Bellett, M.A., of Trinity College, Dublin, who was instituted in 1870, and is also rural dean of Bridgnorth, and a surrogate for the diocese of Hereford.

The church of St. John the Baptist is chiefly in the Norman style of architecture, and consists of nave, chancel, and aisle, with a Perpendicular tower containing six bells. It was restored in 1865 at a cost of £1,455, under the superintendence of the late Mr. Perkins, architect, of Worcester. At the entrance to the churchyard is a lych-gate. The earliest register is dated 1597. The national school has been recently enlarged to meet the requirements of the Elementary Education Act. The children from Knightwick attend this school. Accommodation is provided for about 130; average attendance, 85. There is also a small school in the upper part of the parish, supported by Mrs. Bickerton Evans. The Primitive Methodists have a chapel on Bringsty common.

There are some handsome residences in this parish. Whitbourne Hall is the seat of Edward Bickerton Evans, Esq., J.P. (for Worcestershire and Herefordshire) and D.L. (for Herefordshire.) It is an elegant mansion with a stone colonnade on the south side, and surrounded by extensive ornamental grounds. Whitbourne Court is adjacent to the church, and is nearly surrounded by a beautiful moat. It was formerly the residence of the Bishops of Hereford, and is now the seat of Richard Harington, Esq., M.A., B.C.L., judge of county courts (circuit 22), vice-chairman of quarter sessions for Worcestershire, and J.P. for Herefordshire. Gaines, the property of the Rev. Arthur Childe, M.A., of Edvin Ralph rectory, is at present occupied by Mrs. Bagot and Colonel Bagot. It is situated in a park, and has a frontage to the south, commanding a beautiful view of the Malvern hills and surrounding scenery.

POSTAL REGULATIONS.- Mrs. C. Hague, Sub-Postmistress, Sapey bridge. Letters arrive by mail-cart from Worcester at 6.5 a.m., despatched thereto at 6.44 p.m. Clifton-upon-Teme and Bromyard are the nearest money order offices; the latter is the nearest telegraph office. Post town, Worcester. The Wall Letter-Box, near the church, is cleared at 6.10 p.m. on week-days and at 2.35 p.m. on Sundays.
Parish Church (St. John the Baptist).- Rev. George Bellett, M.A., Rector; Messrs. William Davis and Edwin Morris, Churchwardens William Ashcroft, Parish Clerk.
National School (boys and girls).- Mr, William Dukes, Master; Miss Selina Price, Mistress.
Primitive Methodist Chapel, Bringsty common.- Ministers various.
Collector of Rates.- William Ashcroft.
Carriers to Worcester.- James Tarbath and Henry Lane (from Bromyard) pass through this parish on Wednesdays and Saturdays; Thomas Tims passes through Whitbourne, Broadwas, and Cotheridge to Worcester on Wednesdays and Saturdays; Thos. Collins (via Broadwas) on Saturdays.
PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
Begot Mrs., Gaines
Begot Colonel, Gaines
Bagot Lieutenant Villiers, Gaines
Bellett Rev. George, M.A. (rector of Whitbourne, rural dean of Bridgnorth, and surrogate for the diocese of Hereford), The Rectory
Chambers Mrs., Lower Poswick
Evans Edward Bickerton, Esq., J.P. (for Worcestershire & Herefordshire), D.L. (for Herefordshire), Whitbourne hall
Harington Richard, Esq., M.A., B.C.L. (judge of county courts; J.P. for Worcestershire and Herefordshire; vice-chairman of quarter sessions for Worcestershire; chairman of the guardians of Bromyard union), Whitbourne court
COMMERCIAL.
Andrews ___, farmer, Longlands
Ashcroft Thomas, farmer, High fields
Ashcroft William, boot and shoe maker, parish clerk, and rate collector
Aulton Thomas, farmer and hop grower and steward for E. Bickerton Evans, Esq., J.P., Poswick lodge
Birchley William, farmer and hop grower, Rosemoor
Burraston John, farmer, Bringsty com.
Clarke John, farmer, Upper Lincetter
Collins Edward, cooper and beer retailer (Boat)
Collins Joseph, boot and shoe maker
Collins Mrs., beer retailer, Meadow green
Crump William, grocer and provision dealer, Meadow green cottage
Davis William, farmer and hop grower, New house
Dowding William, farmer, Elmore's end
Drew Samuel, farmer, Pitt house, Tedney
Dukes William, schoolmaster
Everalls Theophilus, carpenter, wheelwright, and shopkeeper, Meadow green
Greenwood Thomas, farmer and hop grower, Old Rosemoor
Griffiths Joseph, thrashing machine proprietor, Ford
Grubham Samuel, mason, Brinstgy common
Gunnery John, carpenter, Robins cottage
Hague Mrs., sub-postmistress, Sapey bridge
Lewis John, Wheat Sheaf Inn, and farmer, Sapey bridge
Lewis John, farmer, Lincetter
Lloyd Charles, blacksmith, Ford
Maund Edwin, shoemaker and shopkeeper
Meek Alexander, farmer, Lincetter
Meek Wildman, farmer, Crumplebury
Morgan John, farmer and hop grower, Broadburns
Morris Edwin, farmer and hop grower, Huntlands and Moorhall farms
Palmer William, tailor
Price Miss Selina, schoolmistress
Rimell Mrs Maria, farmer, Upper Tedney
Roberts Edwin, blacksmith, Meadow green
Ropier Thos., stonemason, Bringsty com.
Shuard John, farmer, Elmore's end, and The Orchards, Linton, Bromyard
Smith Thomas, farmer, hop grower, miller, and corn dealer, Sapey bridge mill, and Wishmoor and Fincher farms; also Ashminton farm, Linton
Stinton Mrs., farmer, Little Lincetter
Tims Thomas, carrier to Worcester
Vernon James, farmer, Lincetter
Walker William, farmer and hop grower, The Poplands
Watkins George, cooper, Moor hall
Williams Arthur, fruit dlr., Bringsty com.

OCR/Transcription by Rosemary Lockie in July 2004.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://texts.wishful-thinking.org.uk/Littlebury1876/Whitbourne.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library