Weston Beggard, Herefordshire

Extract from Littlebury's Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire, 1876-7
with Private and Commercial Residents

Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2004

WESTON-BEGGARD is a parish intersected by the Worcester and Hereford branch of the Great Western railway, and situated between the roads from Hereford to Ledbury, and from Hereford to Worcester (over Froome's hill). It is distant 5½ miles E.N.E. of Hereford, 9 W.N.W. of Ledbury, and 11 S.W. of Bromyard; is in Radlow hundred, Hereford union, petty sessional division., and county court district, and Tarrington polling district. The nearest railway stations are at Stoke Edith and Withington. This parish derives the latter part of its name from Bagard, a former landed proprietor and lord of the manor, whose name was probably corrupted from Bigod, an earl famous in the time of Henry III. The population in 1861 was 372; in 1871, 296; inhabited houses, 69; families or separate occupiers, 81; area of parish, 934 acres; annual rateable value, £2,983. The Right Hon. Lady Emily Foley, of Stoke Edith park, is lady of the manor and principal landowner. Mr. Charles Lewis and Mr. Frederick William Morris are also landowners here. The soil is a red loam with a subsoil of marl and clay; it is well adapted to the growth of corn, fruit, hops, and other kinds of agricultural produce. Weston-Beggard is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Hereford and rural deanery of Weston; living, a vicarage; value, £130, with residence and 3½ acres of glebe; patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Hereford; vicar, Rev. Beaufoy James St. Pattrick, B.A., of St. Mary Hall, Oxford, who was instituted in 1853.

The Rev. George Arthur Williams, M.A., of Exeter College, Oxford, is the curate in sole charge. The church is a pretty stone building, situated in a valley. It is dedicated to St. John the Baptist, and consists of nave, chancel, porch, and square tower (supported by four substantial buttresses) containing five bells. It was repewed and a gallery built in 1827. A new set of communion vessels and alms basin have been recently provided. There is a handsome Norman monument in this church. In the churchyard is a yew tree which was planted in the year of the Revolution, 1668. The earliest register is dated 1587. The charities belonging to the parish are small. The children from this parish attend Yarkhill school. The Primitive Methodist chapel at Shucknall hill was erected in 1875. Shucknall is a straggling village in this parish. The prospect from Shucknall hill on a clear day is remarkably attractive and far famed for its picturesque beauty.

POSTAL REGULATIONS.- Letters are received through Hereford. The wall letter-box at Shucknall is cleared at 5 p.m. on week-days only. Tarrington is the nearest money order office. Postal telegrams may be sent from Withington and Stoke Edith railway stations. Post town, Hereford.
Parish Church (St. John the Baptist's).- Rev. Beaufoy James St. Pattrick, B.A., Vicar; Rev. George Arthur Williams, M.A., Curate in sole charge; Mr. Thomas Davies, Churchwarden; Frederick Lewis, Parish Clerk.
Primitive Methodist Chapel, Shucknall hill.- Ministers various.
PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
M'Cormack Mr. Edward, Vine cottage
Paulett Rev. John David (vicar of Moreton Jeffreys), The Vineyard, Shucknall
Williams Rev. George Arthur, M.A. (curate in sole charge of Weston-Beggard), The Vicarage
Yates Wm. Hy., Esq., J.P., Woodfield ho.
COMMERCIAL.
Brookes William, hurdle maker
Davies Thos., frmr. & hop grower, Moorend; and at Claston farm, Dormington
Drinkwater William, thrashing machine proprietor, Church hill
Fawke Thomas, farm bailiff for William Stallard, Esq., Church farm
Howells J.W., farmer, Purbrook farm
Jay Charles, coal merchant, Shucknall; depot at Withington railway station
Jones James, shopkeeper, Shucknall
Lewis Enoch, blacksmith and farrier, Shucknall hill
Lewis Frederick, parish clerk
Lewis Mark, cooper, carpenter, and wheelwright, Shucknall hill
Morris Frederick William, farmer and hop grower, Shucknall court
Pitt John, farmer, landowner, and hop grower, Pigeon house
Prosser Samuel, carpenter
Pulling Henry, mason, Shucknall
Shaw James, Crown Inn
Stallard William, farmer, Church farm; res., Aylestone hill, Hereford
Stanton Andrew, mason, Shucknall
Symonds Christopher, carpenter
Thompson Matthew Henry, farther and hop grower, Hill end
Wainwright Mrs., farmer, Purbrook

OCR/Transcription by Rosemary Lockie in July 2004.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://texts.wishful-thinking.org.uk/Littlebury1876/WestonBeggard.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library