Welsh Newton, Herefordshire

Extract from Littlebury's Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire, 1876-7
with Private and Commercial Residents

Transcribed by Richard Lane, © 2002

WELSH NEWTON is a parish and village situated on the borders of Monmouthshire, and on the main road leading from Monmouth to Hereford; is 3¼ miles N. of Monmouth, 8 S.W. of Ross, and 14½ S. of Hereford; is in Wormelow Hundred (lower division), Monmouth Union and County Court District, Whitchurch polling district, and Harewood End Petty Sessional Division. The population in 1861 was 226; in 1871, 247; inhabited houses, 60; families or separate occupiers, 60; area of parish 1,821 acres; annual rateable value, £1,468. Sir Joseph Russell Bailey, Bart., M.P., of Glan-Usk Park, Breconshire, is Lord of the Manor and Principle Landowner. Mrs. Marriott, of Sellarsbrooke, near Monmouth, is also a landowner here. The soil is loamy; subsoil, clay and rock; chief produce, wheat, barley, roots &c. Welsh Newton is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Hereford and rural deanery of Archenfield; living, a vicarage; patron, Sir J.R. Bailey, Bart. The living is at present vacant. The tithes, great and small, also the glebe (12 acres), belong to the lay rector.

The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient stone edifice, with nave, chancel, porch, and small tower containing two bells. It is in the Norman style of architecture, and is in fair state of repair. A new school was built by voluntary subscriptions in 1874. Some of the children go to Llanrothall School. There is a chapel for the Primitive Methodists on Newton Common. Pembridge Castle, in this parish (now a farm house in the occupation of Mr. William Nelmes), is mentioned as early as A.D. 1223, being the seventh year of the reign of Henry III., when William, Lord Cantilupe, was its governor. In the time of Henry VII. it was held by the Knights Hospitallers of Dinmore, and afterwards by Margaret, Countess of Richmond and Derby. In the reign of Queen Elizabeth it was sold to Sir Walter Pye, whose descendents disposed of the estate to George Kemble, gent, who repaired the ruins with timber, and made it habitable, as it was in 1675. The old castle is now wholly demolished, together with an adjoining chapel, and the park has been ploughed up and cultivated. Callow Hills, the property of Mrs. Marriott, is the residence of George Wichurch, Esq. Newton Lodge is in the occupation of Mrs. Collins.

POSTAL REGULATIONS.- Letters arrive by messenger from Monmouth at 9.40 a.m. The wall letter-box is cleared at 5.20 p.m. Monmouth is the nearest money order and telegraph office and post town.
Parish Church (St. Mary's).- Rev. _____ _____, Vicar; Amos Hodges, Parish Clerk.
National School (boys and girls).- Miss E. Jones, Mistress.
Primitive Methodist Chapel, Newton Common.- Ministers various.
Assistant Overseer.- Thomas Lock.
PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
Collins Mrs., Newton Lodge
Nelmes Mr. William, Pembridge Castle
Wichurch George, Esq., Callow Hills
COMMERCIAL.
Davis John, farmer, Trefassy
Evans William, farmer, Gwenherion
Francis Richard, farmer, Glascombe
George Timothy, boot and shoe maker
Harper William, Farmer, Elephant and Castle
Hodges Amos, parish clerk and carpenter
Jones Miss E., schoolmistress
Keddle Henry, farmer, Mill Farm
Lewis Mrs., shopkeeper, Newton Common
Lock George, farmer, Newton farm
Lock Thomas, assistant overseer
Meredith Mrs., grocer and provision dealer
Morgan William, farmer, Tremahaid
Nelmes William, farmer and auctioneer, Pembridge Castle; office, priory Street, Monmouth
Roberts George, blacksmith

[Transcribed by Richard Lane in November 2002
from a copy of Littlebury's Directory of Herefordshire, 1876-7 in Hereford Central Library]

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://texts.wishful-thinking.org.uk/Littlebury1876/WelshNewton.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library