Wellington, Herefordshire

Extract from Littlebury's Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire, 1876-7
with Private and Commercial Residents

Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2003

WELLINGTON is a parish and village pleasantly situated in a valley on the Leominster and Hereford road, distant about 5½ miles N. of Hereford, 7 S. of Leominster, and 8 E.S.E. of Weobley; is in Grimsworth hundred, Hereford union, petty sessional division, and county court district, and Bodenham polling district. The Shrewsbury and Hereford railway passes through the parish; the Moreton and Dinmore stations on that line are within 2 miles of the village. The population in 1861 was 626; in 1871, 651; inhabited houses, 156; families or separate occupiers, 169; area of parish, 2,538 acres; annual rateable value, £6,463. The Rev. William Trevelyan Kevill Davies, of Croft castle, near Leominster, is lord of the manor. The principal landowners are the Rev. W.T. Kevill Davies, Thomas Clark, Esq., Rev. Thomas King, Herbert George Goldingham, Esq., J.J. Bush, Esq., Rev. H.F. St. John, the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, and the representatives of the late John Harris, Esq. The soil is red loam, with a gravelly subsoil; chief produce, wheat, barley, beans, hops, fruit, and roots. Wellington is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Hereford and rural deanery of Weston; living, a vicarage; value, £315, with residence, and there is a prebendal farm, belonging to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, of 481 acres, also half an acre of glebe; patron, the Lord Bishop of Worcester; vicar, Rev. Thomas Shepherd, B.A., of Christ Church, Oxford, who was instituted in 1838, and is also a surrogate for the diocese.

The church (St. Margaret's) is an old stone edifice in the Norman and Early English styles of architecture, and is in great need of restoration. It consists of nave, chancel, two aisles, south porch, and square tower containing five bells. In the chancel is a brass monument to the memory of Sir Herbert Perrott. There is an endowed school for boys and girls known as "Nott's and Perrott's Charity School". New school buildings to accommodate 114 children have been recently erected. The present average attendance is about 90. There are six almshouses, founded by Sir Herbert Perrott in 1682, for aged men, with an endowment of £20 per annum, and a new pair of shoes and a coat for each. There are additional charities amounting to £15 yearly belonging to the parish. The Plymouth Brethren have a meeting house here. Burghope, now a farm-house in this parish, was formerly the seat of the ancient families of Goodyere and Dinely. It was a fine mansion having ancient mullioned windows, with projecting pointed gables, and curious picturesque chimneys. Sir John Dinely, the last baronet of the family, sold it to Governor Peachey, afterwards Lord Selsea, about a century ago. Amborough, or Auberrow, is a hamlet.

POSTAL REGULATIONS.- Matthew Williams, Sub-Postmaster. Letters arrive by messenger from Hereford at 9.30 a.m.; despatched thereto at 3.30 p.m. Hereford is the nearest money order and telegraph office and post town.
Parish Church (St. Margaret's).- Rev. Thomas Shepherd, B.A., Vicar; H. Wall, Parish Clerk.
Nott's and Perrott's Charity School (boys and girls).- Mr. George Tickner, Master; Mrs. Tickner, Mistress.
Plymouth Brethren Meeting House.- Ministers various.
Assistant Overseer and Collector of Rates and Taxes.- Mr. Rd. Watkins.
Surveyor to the Hereford Highway District (Northern Division).- Mr. Joseph Carter, C.E.
Carriers to Hereford.- John Lloyd and Mrs. Bethell, every Wednesday and Saturdav. returning the same days
PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
Allen James, Esq., Water villa
Bowen Mr. William, Corner's end
Brown Mrs., Brook cottage
Graves Miss, East cottage
Lye Mr. Francis, Wellington villa
Mason Thos., Esq., M.R.C.S., Marsh cot.
Munn Mrs. John T., Harbour house
Munn Mrs. Joseph, Rose cottage
Pitt Mr. Henry, Auberrow
Powell Mr. George, The Village
Shepherd Rev. Thomas, B.A. (vicar of Wellington and surrogate for the diocese), The Vicarage
Tunstall Mr. Thomas and The Misses Mary and Elizabeth, Norton cottage
COMMERCIAL.
Aldridge Abraham, farmer and beer retailer (The Plough)
Baker William, shopkeeper, The Village
Baskerville John, butcher, The Village
Bothell Mrs., carrier & farmer, Moor croft
Bowen Thomas, farmer, The Farm
Bradley Geo., farm steward for H.G. Goldingham, Esq. (of Worcester), Green farm
Caldwell Joseph, spade-tree maker, The Village
Carter Joseph (Member of the Society of Engineers), surveyor to the Hereford highway district, Amborough farm
Daniel James, farmer
Daniel Joseph, farmer, The Row
Davies John, miller and farmer, Steam mills, Townsend
Davies John, shopkeeper, The Marsh
Donovan Mrs. Maria, cider retlr., The Marsh
Dillow James, haulier, The Hill
Evans John, sawyer
Fox John, carpenter, &c., Quality square
George Thomas, farmer, Bridge farm
Graves William, hurdle maker
Griffiths Thomas, farmer, Wootton
Hart Maurice, farmer, Church house
Hartland John, farmer, The Court
Hayes William, farmer, Burghope
Hodges William, blacksmith
Jones Mrs. William, farmer and haulier, Corner's end
Langford Richard, shopkeeper, Auberrow
Lloyd John, farmer, Amborough farm
Lloyd John, carrier, Bridge lane
Mansell Joseph, stonemason, &c., Village
Mason Thomas, surgeon, Marsh cottage
Morris William, carpenter and wheelwright, Holland
Page Mrs. William, farmer, The Village
Reece William, shopkeeper, The Marsh
Rogers Joseph, farmer, Tan house
Sanders Charles, shoemaker, Auberrow
Tickner George, schoolmaster
Turner Mrs. Elizabeth, shopkeeper and beer retailer (Rose and Crown)
Turner John, farmer, Stocks house; res., Brick-kiln farm, Burghill
Wall A.H., shoemaker, The Village
Walwyn Thomas, Bridge Inn, and farmer
Warburton Thomas, farmer, The Row
Watkins John; shoemaker, Bridge lane
Watkins Richard, accountant, assistant overseer, and collector of rates and taxes, Adzor house
Williams Matthew, shopkeeper and sub-postmaster, Post office, The Village
Woodhouse William, mason, &c., The Row

OCR/Transcription by Rosemary Lockie in December 2003.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://texts.wishful-thinking.org.uk/Littlebury1876/Wellington.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library