Walterstone, Herefordshire

Extract from Littlebury's Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire, 1876-7
with Private and Commercial Residents

Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2002

WALTERSTONE is a parish and village situated on the river Monnow, which here divides the counties of Hereford and Monmouth. It is distant 7 miles N.N.E. of Abergavenny, 16 S.W. of Hereford, 3½ S.W. of Pontrilas, and about 1 mile N. of Pandy railway stations on the West Midland section of the Great Western railway. It is in Ewyas Lacy hundred, Dore union and petty sessional division, Longtown polling district, and Abergavenny county court district. The population in 1861 was 173; in 1871, 144; inhabited houses, 37; families or separate occupiers, 38; area of parish, 1,241 acres; annual rateable value, £1,107. The Marquess of Abergavenny is lord of the manor of Ewyas Lacy. The principal landowners in Walterstone are Messrs. David Morgan Jones, John Rogers, Aaron Rogers, and Jeremiah L. Roshier, Esq. The soil is red clay on a red sandstone formation; chief produce, wheat, barley, oats, &c.

Walterstone is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Hereford and rural deanery of Weobley. The living has been constituted a vicarage under the District Church Tithes Act, 1865 (28 Vict. c.42), and was gazetted as such November 20th, 1866. The annual value is £50, with 66 acres of glebe; patron, William Barneby, Esq., of Saltmarshe castle, Bromyard; vicar, Rev. Theophilus Morgan, who was instituted in 1830, and resides at Glan-Honddû house, Llanfihangel-Crucorney, Monmouthshire. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient stone edifice, in the Early English style of architecture, consisting of nave, chancel, porch, and small tower containing two bells. It was restored in 1865, under the superintendence of Thomas Nicholson, Esq., F.I.B.A., of Hereford, the diocesan architect. The parish registers commence with the year 1761.

A school board has been recently formed for the united district of Walterstone, Rowlstone, and Llancillo, and a school is about to be erected from the designs of Messrs. Haddon Brothers, architects, of Hereford and Malvern. The Primitive Methodists have a chapel here. There are two camps in the parish, one Norman, the other supposed to be Roman; there is also a circular moat near the church, in the centre of which it is possible there was once a castle, but there are no traces remaining to show that such was the case. Altyrnnis, the principal farm-house in the parish, now the residence of Mr. John Rogers, was formerly the property and seat of the Cecils, from whom descended the Lords Burleigh.

This estate became the property of the Cecils by the marriage of Robert Sitsilt with an heiress about the year 1091. This ancient mansion is situated near the junction of the rivers Monnow and Honddû the latter nearly surrounds it; both streams are clear and rapid, and the scenery on their banks is very picturesque. It still retains some of the remains of its ancient grandeur, and had, until the last few years, the arms of Burleigh in painted glass in the window. One of the Lords Burleigh was the able minister to Queen Elizabeth. Near the Black mountains, in the hamlet of Bwlch-Trewyn, and parish of Cwmyoy, Monmouthshire, and on the verge of Herefordshire, is Trewyn House, the pleasant seat of Jeremiah L. Roshier, Esq.

POSTAL REGULATIONS.- Letters are received from Abergavenny via Llanfihangel. The wall letter-box, near the church, is cleared at 3.05 p.m. Ewyas Harold is the nearest money order and telegraph office. Post town, Abergavenny.
Parish Church (St. Mary's).- Rev. Theophilus Morgan, Vicar; Mr. David Morgan Jones, Churchwarden; James Hoskins, Parish Clerk.
District Board School.- ___ _____ _____, Master.
Primitive Methodist Chapel.- Ministers various.
PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
(None listed)
COMMERCIAL.
Farr Edward, farmer, Coed-y-gravel
Farr John, farmer, Goitry farm
Gwillim John, farmer, The Common
Hoskins James, parish clerk
Jones David Morgan, farmer, landowner, and churchwarden, New buildings
Jones David Morgan, jun., frmr., Pentwyn
Jones James, farmer, The Vineyard
JONES WILLIAM MORGAN, coal, lime, and manure merchant, depôt at Pandy railway station; res., Rose cottage, Pandy
Lewis Lewis, farmer, The Common
Parry Mrs. Ann, shoemaker & beer rtlr.
Pitt George, shopkeeper
Pitt Herbert, carpenter and wheelwright
Prosser George, farmer, Cwm farm
Rogers John, farmer and landowner, Altyrnnis and Walterstone Court farms
Welson Edward, farmer, Lower house
Williams John, farmer, Palisades

OCR/Transcription by Rosemary Lockie in July 2002.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://texts.wishful-thinking.org.uk/Littlebury1876/Walterstone.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library