Upton Bishop, Herefordshire

Extract from Littlebury's Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire, 1876-7
with Private and Commercial Residents

Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2003

UPTON BISHOP,
WITH CROW HILL, UPTON CREWS, AND PHOCLE GREEN.

UPTON BISHOP is a large parish and village situated on the borders of Gloucestershire, on the upper road between Hereford and Gloucester, and on the main road from Ross to Newent; is distant 3½ miles N.E. of Ross, 5½ W. of Newent, 13 S.E. of Hereford, and 16 W.N.W. of Gloucester; is in Greytree hundred, Ross union, petty sessional division, and county court district, and Linton polling district. The population in 1861 was 716; in 1871, 716; inhabited houses, 150; families or separate occupiers, 166; area of parish, 3,391 acres; annual rateable value, £5,069. Courtenay Connell Prance, Esq., of Hatherley court, Cheltenham, is lord of the manor. The Right Hon. Lord Ashburton, Lady Lindsay, Mrs. Chellingworth, Thomas Powell, Esq., and William Jones, Esq., are the principal landowners. The soil is a red loam; subsoil, clay and rock; chief produce, wheat, barley, roots, &c.

Upton Bishop is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Hereford and rural deanery of Ross; living, a vicarage; value, £225, with residence and 202 acres of glebe; patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Hereford; vicar, Rev. Francis Tebbs Havergal, M.A., of New College, Oxford, who was instituted in 1874, and is also one of the chaplains to the Lord Bishop of Hereford. The church, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, ranks among the most interesting in the county. It was reopened on July 25th, 1862, after having been restored under the superintendence of Mr. (now Sir) George Gilbert Scott, R.A., the eminent church-architect, at an expense of £1,800, raised by voluntary contributions and church building society grants. The church consists of nave, chancel, aisle, porch, and square tower containing an excellent peal of five bells. The pavements are of Godwin's encaustic tiles. An organ, by Nicholson, of Worcester, was erected in 1874 on the north side of the church, at the sole cost of the present vicar.

There are several stained glass memorial windows. The east window is by Hardman; subject, "Jesus appearing to Mary in the garden", to the memory of the Rev. James Garbett, formerly vicar of the, parish. North chancel, by Wailes; subject, "Zacharias and Elizabeth", to the memory of Dr. Gretton and his wife, formerly dean of Hereford and vicar of the parish. North nave, by Clayton & Bell; subject, "Raising of Jairus's daughter", to the memory of Maude, daughter of the late Henry Chellingworth, Esq., of Grendon court. East aisle, by Hardman; subject, "The Good Samaritan", to the memory of Mr. Charles Prosser. South aisle, by Hardman; memorial window and brass plate, erected in 1868. South chancel, by Clayton & Bell; subject, "The institution of the Eucharist by our Lord", to the memory of the Rev. T.B. Power, the late vicar.

A brass plate, with inscription, is placed immediately beneath. A beautiful brass tablet (by Hardman) was placed in the church in 1872, to the memory of Henry Chellingworth, Esq., and his son and daughters. The ancient monumental stone in the churchyard has been carefully placed on a slightly raised stone base. The parish register goes back to the year 1571. There are two schools for boys and girls in the parish, with an average attendance of about 100 conjointly. The Church of England school at Gayton was built in 1871-72 at a cost of £700, the site and stone being given by Lord Ashburton. The Baptist chapel was erected in 1860.

There are several handsome residences in this parish. Just on the edge of the four parishes of Upton Bishop, Ross, Brampton Abbotts, and Weston-under-Penyard, is the old manor-house of Rudhall, once the seat of the family of that name, but now the property of Lord Ashburton, and in the occupation of Miss Mortimer; Grendon Court is the residence of Mrs. Chellingworth and the property of Henry Chellingworth, Esq., of Trimpley, near Kidderminster; Gayton Hall, the Misses Lawson; Manor House, Captain E. Mynde Allen; The Baches House, Captain A.R.F. Onslow; and The Vicarage (which has lately under gone considerable improvement), Rev. F. Tebbs Havergal, M.A. Crow Hill is a hamlet distant 1 mile W.; Phocle (or Focle) Green is 2 miles S.W.; Upton Crews is near the village.

POSTAL REGULATIONS.- William. Smallman, Sub-Postmaster, Crow hill. Letters arrive by messenger from Ross at 7.50 a.m.; despatched thereto at 5.50 p.m. Money orders are granted and paid, and post office savings bank business transacted. Ross is the nearest telegraph office and post town. The Letter-box, near the school, is cleared at 5.40 p.m.
Parish Church (St. John the Baptist).- Rev. Francis Tebbs Havergal, M.A., Vicar; Francis Hamp Adams, Esq., and Mr. John Powell Bennett, Churchwardens; George Taylor, Parish Clerk; Charles Davies, Sexton.
National School (boys and girls), Upton Bishop.- Miss Sarah Owen, Mistress.
Church of England School (boys and girls), Gayton.- Miss Elizabeth Thomas, Mistress.
Baptist Chapel.- Ministers various.
PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
Adams Fras. H., Esq., The Upper Baches
Allen Captain E. Mynde, Manor house
Chellingworth Mrs., Grendon court
Havergal Rev. Francis Tebbs, M.A. (vicar of Upton Bishop, and chaplain to the Lord Bishop of Hereford), The Vicarage
Lawson The Misses, Gayton hall
Mortimer Miss Julia F., Rudhall
Onslow Captain A.R.F., The Baches ho.
Turner Richard, Esq., Old Gore
COMMERCIAL.
Adams Francis Hamp, solicitor; commissioner to administer oaths in the supreme court of judicature, The Upper Baches; & at Brookend st., Ross
Baldwin Thomas, farmer, Tedgewood
Bayley James, carpenter, wheelwright, and farmer, Rylands
Bayliss Mrs., farmer, Gayton farm
Bennett John Powell, frmr., Phocle farm
Chapman John, farmer, Crow hill
Davies Charles, parish sexton
Grundy Andrew, butcher, Crow hill
Grundy Henry, sheep & cattle dlr., Crews
Hardwick , farmer, Sandford
Hope William, tailor and shopkeeper
James William, farmer, Marsh farm
Jones Frederick, sawyer, Sandford villa
Marfell William, farmer, Fox hill
Mason John, stonemason, Phocle Green cottage
Morgan James, tea dealer, The Crews
Nott Jno., blacksmith and frmr., Tan ho.
Owen Miss S., mistress of National school
Parsons John, registrar of births and deaths for Sollershope district of Ross union, and relieving officer, Crow hill
Powell James, farmer, Upton court
Price Edwin; farmer, Mulhampton
Price William Thomas, grocer and provision dealer
Probert Thos., Wellington Inn, & farmer
Ratcliff Thomas, farmer, Wood house and Castle farms
Rudge Mrs. E., farmer, Coldborough
Sainsbury John B., farmer, Overton (and in Brampton Abbotts parish)
Smallman John, boot and shoe maker, Crow hill
Smallman William, sub-postmaster and blacksmith, Post office, Crow hill
Smith -, farmer, Felhampton
Smith John, mason, Baches cottage
Tarbath John, farmer and haulier
Taylor George, tailor and parish clerk, Upton Crews
TEAGUE WILLIAM, builder, carpenter, &c., Crow hill
Thomas Miss E., schoolmistress, Gayton
Turner Theophilus J., assistant overseer, Rose cottage
Webb James, farmer, Crossington farm
Webb Robert, farmer, Wobage and Grendon court farms
Wilks James, farrier
Williams Thomas, farmer, Bayton

OCR/Transcription by Rosemary Lockie in December 2003.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://texts.wishful-thinking.org.uk/Littlebury1876/UptonBishop.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library