Upper Sapey, Herefordshire

Extract from Littlebury's Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire, 1876-7
with Private and Commercial Residents

Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2004

UPPER SAPEY is a scattered parish, pleasantly situated near the borders of Worcestershire, on the romantic Sapey brook, and on the main road from Bromyard to Kidderminster. It is distant 7 miles N. of Bromyard, 8 S.E. of Tenbury, 14 N.W. of Worcester, 14 S.W. of Kidderminster, 20 N.E. of Hereford, and 7 N.N.W. of Sapey bridge (Whitbourne). The nearest railway station is at Knightwick on the Worcester and Bromyard railway. The parish is in Broxash hundred, Bromyard union, petty sessional division, and county court district, and High Lane (Tedstone Wafer) polling district. The population in 1861 was 357; in 1871, 383; inhabited houses, 82; families or separate occupiers, 82; area of parish, 2,159a. 0r. 10p.; annual rateable value, £2,405. The soil is clayey and loamy; subsoil, rock and clay; chief produce, wheat, barley, hops, fruit, &c. Sir Francis Salwey Winnington, Bart., of Stanford court, Worcestershire, who is lord of the manor, William Barneby, Esq., of Saltmarshe castle, the trustees of the late Thomas H. Newman, Esq., and the Rev. Edward Addenbrooke, are the principal landowners. Upper Sapey is in the diocese of Hereford, archdeaconry of Ludlow, and rural deanery of Burford East; living, a rectory; value, £298, with residence and 40 acres of glebe; patron, Sir Francis Salwey Winnington, Bart.; rector, Rev. Phipps Onslow, B.A., of Exeter College, Oxford, who was instituted in 1859. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, is a handsome edifice in the Norman style, with small tower (containing one bell), neat spire, nave, chancel, porch, font, and about 100 sittings, all of which are free and unappropriated. It was entirely restored in 1860 at a cost of 1,200. The east window is filled with stained glass as a memorial to the late Mr. Towers. A new school, to accommodate about 70 children, has just been erected here. The charities belonging to the parish amount to about £21 yearly. There is a small dissenting chapel. High House, the residence of ___ Chamberlain, Esq., is pleasantly situated.

POSTAL REGULATIONS.- Letters arrive from Worcester about 10 a.m.; despatched thereto at 4 p.m. Clifton-on-Teme is the nearest money order office. Bromyard is the nearest telegraph office. Post town, Worcester.
Parish Church (St. Michael's).- Rev. Phipps Onslow, B.A., Rector; Messrs: Joseph Webb and Robert Warren, Churchwardens; John Cooper, Parish Clerk.
Parochial School (boys and girls).- Miss Mary Jackson, Mistress.
Dissenting Chapel.- Ministers various.
PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
Chamberlain ___, Esq., High house
Onslow Rev. Phipps, B.A. (rector), The Rectory
COMMERCIAL.
Aldridge Mrs., farmer and hop-grower, Kintal farm
Amphlett John, gardener
Birchley John, farmer and hop grower, Lea farm
Freeman George, shopkeeper & fruiterer, Sapey common
Hodges Geo., wheelwright and shopkpr.
Holder William, farmer and landowner, Yearston court and Brook farm; res., Oakhampton, near Stourport
Jackson Miss Mary, schoolmistress
Kitchen John, carpenter and wheelwright
Lane James, blacksmith, Three gates
Meredith Herbert, farmer & hop grower, Field house
Merrick Samuel, farmer and hop grower, Adam's wood
Mills William, farm bailiff, Yearston ct.
Morgan John, shopkeeper & wheelwright
Morris Mrs. Ann, farmer, Church house
Parish Francis, farmer and hop grower, Dudshill court
Perkins Peregrine, carpenter & beer rtlr.
Symonds Edward, farmer
Taylor Mrs., shopkeeper, New house
Waldron Samuel, farmer
Warren Robert, butcher, farmer, and hop grower, Common and Waters farm
Webb Joseph, farmer and hop grower, Criftin farm
Yarnold William, farmer

OCR/Transcription by Rosemary Lockie in June 2004.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://texts.wishful-thinking.org.uk/Littlebury1876/UpperSapey.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library