Ullingswick, Herefordshire

Extract from Littlebury's Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire, 1876-7
with Private and Commercial Residents

Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2003

ULLINGSWICK is a small parish and village pleasantly situated in a vale 1½ miles N.W. of the main road leading from Hereford to Bromyard, and about 1 mile N. of the road between Ledbury and Leominster. It is distant 6 miles S.W. of Bromyard, 9 N.E. of Hereford, 10 S.E. of Leominster, and 5 E. of Dinmore railway station; is in Broxash hundred, Bromyard union, petty sessional division, and county court district, and Ocle-Pychard (Burley Gate) polling district. The population in 1861 was 318; in 1871, 323; inhabited houses, 68; families or separate occupiers, 74; area of parish, 1,182a. 0r. 24p.; annual rateable value, £1,704. The Ecclesiastical Commissioners are lords of the manor, and with John Parker, Esq., James Parker, Esq., William R. George, Esq., William Lort, Esq., Mr. John Skerrett, and Mrs. Ann Carless, are the landowners. The soil is clayey; subsoil, rock and clay; products, wheat, beans, hops, fruit, &c. The hills in this parish command most extensive and pleasing prospects. Ullingswick is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Hereford and rural deanery of North Froome; living, a rectory, annexed to the chapelry of Cowarne Parva; joint value, £335, with residence and 54 acres of glebe; patron, the Lord Bishop of Worcester; rector, Rev. John Middleton Ware, LL.B., of Corpus Christi College, Cambridge, who was instituted in 1855.

The church, (name of patron saint unknown) was thoroughly restored in 1863, at a cost of £800; half the money was contributed by church building societies, and the remainder by subscription. It was reopened for divine service, April 10th, 1863. It has a cupola with three bells, one of which was subscribed for in memory of the late Prince Consort. The interior consists of nave, chancel, south porch, and some memorial windows by Clayton & Bell, of London. All the seats (144) are free. The organ was presented by Mrs. J. Garbett in 1867. The font, altar cloths, &c., were also presented. The earliest register is dated 1562. The Rectory house was entirely rebuilt by the present rector. There is a school for boys and girls, supported by subscription. About £400 have been spent on the school premises since 1870. The children from Little Cowarne attend it also; total average attendance, 40.

POSTAL REGULATIONS.- Letters are received through Worcester via Bromyard, which is the nearest money order and telegraph office. The wall letter-box, near the Pulling farm, is cleared at 2.50 p.m. on week-days only. Letters should be addressed - Ullingswick, Bromyard, Worcester.
Parish Church.- Rev. John Middleton Ware, LL.B., Rector; Mr. Thomas James Baker, Churchwarden; Henry Hodges, Parish Clerk.
National School (boys and girls).- Miss Jane Trow, Mistress.
Carriers to Hereford.- John Skerrett every Wednesday and Saturday, returning the same days; William Cross (from Little Cowarne) also passes through the parish.
PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
Ware Rev. John Middleton, LL.B. (rector of Ullingswick with Little Cowarne), The Rectory
Williams Mr. Richard
COMMERCIAL.
Baker Thos. Jas., frmr.& hop gr., Lower crt.
Bayliss James, farmer and hop grower, Lower Criftage
Bayliss Jno., wheelwrt., &c., Little Hope
Davies Thos., frmr. and hop gr., Marsh
Griffiths David, surgeon
Hill John, farmer, Broom hill; res., The Green, Felton
Hodges Charles, mason, Tack lane
Hodges Henry, parish clerk
Hyde Thomas, boot and shoe maker
Jones Miss Mary Ann, farmer and hop grower, The Pulling farm
Lewis Geo., frmr. & hop gr., Wildon ct.
Lewis William, farmer, Lowdy hall
Owen John, farmer, beer retailer, and assistant overseer, Blestacre
Parker Wm., frmr. & hop gr., Upper ct.
Richards Joseph Johnson, butcher
Skerrett Herbert, farmer and hop grower, The Gobbetts
Skerrett John, farmer and hop grower, Pool house
Skerrett John, carrier
Stephens William & John, cottage farmers, Derndale
Taylor James, farmer, Steps farm, Upper town
Trow Miss J., schoolmistress, The Pulling
Vale Thomas, farmer and hop grower
Wilkins John, farmer and hop grower, The Linnett
Wood James, farmer & hop gr., Upperton

OCR/Transcription by Rosemary Lockie in December 2003.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://texts.wishful-thinking.org.uk/Littlebury1876/Ullingswick.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library