Tyberton, Herefordshire

Extract from Littlebury's Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire, 1876-7
with Private and Commercial Residents

Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2001

TYBERTON is a parish situated on the road from Hereford to Hay via Blakemere, distant about 9 miles W. of Hereford, 13 E.S.E. of Hay, and 10 S. of Weobley; is in Webtree hundred, Dore union and petty sessional division, Madley polling district, and Hereford county court district. Tyberton was formerly spelled Tibberton and Tiberton. In the last century the two b's began to be used; but the original name in old times was as above - Tyberton - to which R: H. Lee-Warner, Esq., the owner of the estate, has lately restored it. The population in 1861 was 153; in 1871, 157; inhabited houses, 33; families or separate occupiers, 33; area of parish, 1,111 acres; annual rateable value, £1,429. Robert Henry Lee-Warner, Esq., is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is gravelly; subsoil, sandstone rock; chief produce, wheat, barley, beans, roots, &c. Tyberton is in the diocese, archdeaconry, and rural deanery of Hereford; living, a chapelry, united to Madley vicarage; joint value, £566, with 102 acres of glebe; patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Hereford; vicar, Rev. Charles Edward Underwood, M.A., of Balliol College, Oxford, who was instituted in 1870, and resides at Madley vicarage.

Tyberton living is worth £95 yearly, with 9 acres of glebe. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is a brick structure, erected in 1720 by W.T. Brydges, Esq. It was restored some years since at the expense of Robert Henry Lee-Warner, Esq. It has nave, chancel, porch, font, and bell-tower with five bells. The parish register begins with the year 1734. The charities in connection with the church amount to 10s. yearly. There is a parochial school for boys and girls supported by R.H. Lee-Warner, Esq. The average attendance is about 20. Tyberton Court, the seat of Robert Henry Lee-Warner, Esq., J.P., D.L., is a handsome mansion situated in a fine park. It contains some good pictures, and a large and well-selected library. This mansion was formerly the property of the ancient family of Brydges, by whom the grounds and plantations were much improved.

POSTAL REGULATIONS.- Letters arrive from Hereford by messenger at 10 a.m.; despatched thereto at 5 p.m. Madley and Peterchurch are the nearest money order offices. Hereford is the nearest telegraph office and post town.
Parish Church (All Saints').- Rev. Charles Edward Underwood, M.A., Vicar; Rev. Arthur Esmond Riddle, B.A., Curate; Mr. James Farmer Parker, Churchwarden; Thomas Smith, Parish Clerk.
Parochial School (boys and girls).- Mrs. A. Taylor, Mistress.
Carrier to Hereford.- George Pugh (from Preston-upon-Wye) passes through every Wednesday and Saturday; stops at the Nelson Inn, West street, Hereford; returns the same days.
PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
Lee-Warner Robert Henry, Esq., J.P., D.L., Tyberton court
COMMERCIAL.
Baker Henry, head gamekeeper to R.H. Lee-Warner, Esq., J.P., D.L.
Gwilliam John, farmer, Hill farm
Lloyd Thomas, blacksmith
Matthews George, farmer, The Farm
Morgan Wm., Masons' Arms, Stockley hill
Parker James Farmer, frmr., Church fm.
Smith Thomas, parish clerk
Taylor Mrs., schoolmistress
Taylor William, mason
Vaughan Mrs., farmer, Lower house
Vaughan Charles, farmer, Eyrous
Williams John, stonemason

OCR/Transcription by Rosemary Lockie in November 2001.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://texts.wishful-thinking.org.uk/Littlebury1876/Tyberton.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library