Turnastone, Herefordshire

Extract from Littlebury's Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire, 1876-7
with Private and Commercial Residents

Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2001

TURNASTONE, otherwise TURNSTONE, is a small parish situated on the river Dore, in the Golden valley, distant 11 miles W.S.W. of Hereford, 11 S.E. of Hay, and 6 N.N.W. of Pontrilas station on the Newport, Abergavenny, and Hereford railway. The "Golden Valley Railway Company" have recently obtained an Act of Parliament to construct a line from Pontrilas to Dorstone, being a distance of about 11 miles. The line will intersect this parish, and will be a great convenience to an important agricultural district. Turnastone is in Webtree hundred, Dore union and petty sessional division, Dorstone polling district, and Hereford county court district. The population in 1861 was 54; in 1871, 51; inhabited houses, 11; families or separate occupiers, 12; area of parish, 530 acres; annual rateable value, £641. Herbert Howorth Wood, Esq., of White house, Vowchurch (who is lord of the manor), Miss Lucy Robinson, and Mr. and Mrs. Edward L. Gavin Robinson, are the landowners. The soil is sandy and loamy; subsoil, clay and sandstone; chief produce, wheat, barley, beans, roots, &c. The parish is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Hereford and rural deanery of Weobley; living, a rectory; value, £108, with residence and 5 acres of glebe; patron, Edward L. Gavin Robinson, Esq.; rector, Rev. Thomas Powell, M.A., who was instituted in 1836, and resides at Dorstone rectory. The Rev. Charles Longfield, B.A., of University College, Durham, is the curate. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient stone edifice, in urgent need of restoration. It is in the Early English style of architecture, and consists of nave, chancel, and small tower containing two bells. Divine service is held at 3 p.m. on Sundays. The register begins with the year 1674. The children of this parish go to the school at Vowchurcb.

POSTAL REGULATIONS.- Letters are received through Hereford. The nearest money order office is at Peterchurch. Post town, Hereford.
Parish Church (St. Mary's).- Rev. Thomas Powell, M.A., Rector; Rev. Charles Longfield, B.A., Curate, Mr. Maurice Price, Churchwarden.
PRIVATE RESIDENT.
Longfield Rev. Charles, B.A. (vicar of Vowchurch and curate of Turnastone), The Rectory
COMMERCIAL.
Burnett Mrs., farmer, Cothill
Christopher James, carpenter, wheelwright, and shopkeeper
Hope Joseph, bricklayer
Price Maurice, farmer, Dolward
Probert John, farmer, The Farm
Williams Thomas, carpenter

OCR/Transcription by Rosemary Lockie in November 2001.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://texts.wishful-thinking.org.uk/Littlebury1876/Turnastone.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library