Tretire, Herefordshire

Extract from Littlebury's Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire, 1876-7
with Private and Commercial Residents

Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2001

TRETIRE is a small village situated on the Ross and Abergavenny road, distant 6 miles W. of Ross, 8 N. of Monmouth, and 11 S. of Hereford; is in Wormelow hundred (lower division), Ross union and county court district, St. Weonard's polling district, and Harewood End petty sessional division. Tretire and Michaelchurch form a parish comprising 1,356 acres, the rateable value being £2,193. The population in 1861 was 147; in 1871, 164; inhabited houses, 31; families or separate occupiers, 32. Chandos Wren Hoskyns, Esq., of Harewood house, is lord of the manor. The principal landowners are the Governors of Guy's Hospital, John Jones, Esq., Mr. James Philpotts, and Mr. W.C. Donne. The soil is sandy and loamy; subsoil, chiefly rock; products, wheat, barley, oats, roots, &c. The parish is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Hereford and rural deanery of Archenfield; living, a consolidated rectory; value, £260, with residence; patron and rector, Rev. Edmund John Owen, B.A., of Brasenose College, Oxford, who was instituted in 1869. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, was rebuilt in 1855-56, at a cost of £750. It is a neat stone edifice, in a mixed style of architecture, with nave, chancel, font, three bells, &c. In the churchyard are several tombs of great antiquity, and a very ancient sundial. The register commences with the year 1719. Near this church are the remains of an old castle. A board school for Tretire and Pencoyd parishes is ordered by the Educational Department.

MICHAELCHURCH is a small village pleasantly situated about 1 mile and a half N. of Tretire, in a valley, through which runs a branch of the Garron brook. The church of St. Michael is an ancient structure of stone, in a very plain style, plastered and whitewashed outside. It has nave, porch, and small belfry with two bells. The living is a rectory, united to Tretire. On a commanding eminence, between this place and Pengethley, is an ancient square camp called " Geer Cop."

POSTAL REGULATIONS.- Letters arrive by messenger from Ross about 8 a.m.; despatched thereto at 5.30 p.m. St. Weonard's is the nearest money order office. Ross is the telegraph office and post town.
Parish Church (St. Mary's), Tretire.- Rev. Edmund John Owen, B.A., Rector; Mr. James Philpotts, Churchwarden; John Price, Parish Clerk.
Parish Church (St. Michael's), Michaelchurch.- Rev. E.J. Owen, B.A., Rector.
Carriers to Ross.- John White and George Woodbill pass through on Thursdays about 9 a.m.; returning the same day at 6 p.m.
PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
Donne Mr. William C., Michaelchurch villa
Owen Rev. Edmund John, B.A. (patron and rector), The Rectory
Smyth Mr. Edward, Tretire house
COMMERCIAL.
Donne William C., farmer, Michaelchurch villa
Fisher Henry, farmer, Michaelchurch
Philpotts James, farmer and landowner, Trevase and Treberran farms
ROBERTS RICHARD, miller, Tretire mills
Smith Felix William, farmer; and agent for Peter Matthews, manure manufacturer (of Stroud), Tretire
Toomey Peter, haulier
Webb Samuel, shopkeeper
Williams William, carpenter and wheelwright, Treberran

OCR/Transcription by Rosemary Lockie in November 2001.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://texts.wishful-thinking.org.uk/Littlebury1876/Tretire.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library