Titley, Herefordshire

Extract from Littlebury's Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire, 1876-7
with Private and Commercial Residents

Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2001

TITLEY (anciently Titellege) is a picturesque parish and village, with a railway station on the Leominster and Kington railway, which is also the junction of the newly-constructed lines from Kington to Eardisley, and from Kington to Presteigne. The station, although called "Titley", is locally situate in the parish of Lyonshall, being distant about 1 mile S. of Titley village. The river Arrow and the main road from Kington to Presteigne run through the parish, which is distant 3 miles N.E. of King ton, 3½ S.S.E. of Presteigne, 12 W. of Leominster, and 20 N.W. of Hereford; is in Wigmore hundred, Kington union, county court district, polling district, and petty sessional division. The population in 1861 was 373; in 1871, 371; inhabited houses, 75; families or separate occupiers, 81; area of parish, 1,876 acres; annual rateable value, £2,268. Charles Williams Greenly, Esq., who is lord of the manor, and Lady Charlotte Bacon, are the principal landowners.

The soil is clayey, producing wheat, barley, roots, fruit, and pasture. The scenery in the neighbourhood is beautiful, and on an eminence about 1 mile and a half N., called Wapley, or Warren hill, are vestiges of an extensive encampment. Titley was the site of a priory, subordinate to the abbey of Tyrone, in France. On the suppression of the alien priories, in the second of Henry V., it was given to the college at Winchester. Titley is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Hereford and rural deanery of Weobley; living, a vicarage; value, £117, with residence and 100 acres of glebe; patron; Charles Williams Greenly, Esq.; vicar, Rev. William Cotton Risley, M.A., of Exeter College, Oxford, who was instituted in 1876.

The church, dedicated to St. Peter, was rebuilt in 1869 at a cost of £1,800. It is a handsome stone edifice, with accommodation for about 220 persons. There are some stained glass windows. The parish register goes back to the year 1534. There is a school for boys and girls, endowed by Elizabeth, widow of William Greenly, Esq., with the sum of £1,000 in the 3 per cent. Consols, and with £5 yearly from the Eywood estate. There are several handsome residences in this parish. About 1 mile W. of the village is the Eywood estate, which has been the subject of much litigation. By the decision of the House of Lords, given on May 31st, 1875, Lady Charlotte Mary Bacon, the second daughter of the late Edward, fifth Earl of Oxford and Earl Mortimer, became possessed of the Eywood mansion and all the copyholds on that estate for life, and afterwards to Edward Bacon, Esq., her son.

This mansion was formerly the principal residence of Edward Harley, Earl of Oxford , Earl Mortimer, and Baron of Wigmore. The Harleys trace their descent to the time of King Ethelred, in whose army one of their ancestors held an important command. Richard de Harley aided Roger Mortimer and the Lord of Croft in contriving the escape of Prince Edward from Hereford; and, for this service, was particularly patronised by the latter, after he became king. In his reign, Robert de Harley married Margaret, eldest daughter of Brian de Brampton, by which he obtained the castle of Brampton Brian and a large estate. Sir Thomas Harley was held in much estimation by King James I., from whom he obtained a grant of the honour and castle of Wigmore, in consideration of a distant relationship with the Mortimers, its former lords. Sir Edward Harley, Knight of the Bath, assisted in the restoration of King Charles II., and was made Governor of Dunkirk; but, resisting the iniquitous sale of that fortress, he was superseded. He afterwards raised a troop of horse for the service of the Prince of Orange.

His son, the celebrated Sir Robert Harley, afterwards created Baron Harley of Wigmore, Earl of Oxford, and Earl Mortimer, in the year 1711, had a very important influence over the direction of national affairs in the reign of Queen Anne; having filled the offices in succession of Speaker of the House of Commons, principal Secretary of State, Chancellor and Under Treasurer of the Exchequer, and Lord High Treasurer of England. His power, however, expired with his royal patroness; and, very early in the reign of George I., he was impeached and tried for high treason, but was acquitted by his peers. He died in May 1724, aged sixty-two. The grounds at Eywood display a great diversity of scenery, and are ornamented with some fine plantations. Titley Court, the seat of Charles Williams Greenly, Esq., J.P., D.L., adjoins the village. Titley House is the residence of Edward Howorth Greenly, Esq., J.P., D.L. Burcher House is occupied by the vicar (Rev. W.C. Risley, M.A.)

POSTAL REGULATIONS.- Francis Taylor, Sub-Postmaster. Letters arrive by rail at 7 a.m.; despatched at 7 p.m. Kington and Presteigne are the nearest money order and telegraph offices. Titley being what is termed a Railway Sub-office, letters, &c., should be addressed- Titley, R.S.O. (Herefordshire.)
Parish Church (St. Peter's).- Rev. William Cotton Risley, M.A., Vicar; Edward Howorth Greenly, Esq., Churchwarden; Isaac Wyld, Parish Clerk.
Endowed School (boys and girls).- Mr. Edward Davies, Master; Mrs. Sarah Lloyd, Sewing Mistress.
Titley Railway Station (Junction of the Leominster and Kington, Kington and Eardisley, and Kington and Presteigne Railways).- John Richard Hole, Station Master.
PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
Bacon Lady Charlotte Mary, and Bacon
Edward, Esq., Eywood
Boddington Miss Gracilla, Burcher cot.
Greenly Charles Williams, Esq., J.P., D.L., Titley court
Greenly Edward Howorth, Esq., J.P., D.L., Titley house
Risley Rev. William Cotton, M.A. (vicar), Burcher house
Stephens Jn. Taylor, Esq., Priory Leasow
COMMERCIAL.
Davies Edwd., miller & frmr., Titley mill
Davies Edward, schoolmaster
Hole John Richd., sta. master, Titley sta.
Jones James Walter, farmer and landowner, Rhiwlas farm
Joseph Mrs. Charlotte, farmer and blacksmith, The Shawls
Jones John, mason
Matthews R., farmer, Balance farm
Meredith R., Rhiwlas cottage
Miles Mrs. Mary, shopkpr., Flintsham sq.
Moore Thomas, farmer, Flintsham court
Powell Thos., frmr. & butcher, The Stag
Taylor Francis, sub-postmaster
Taylor Richard Thomas, farmer, Lower Flintsham
Weyman William, farmer, Burcher and Green lane farms
Williams Phoebe, shopkpr., Little Burcher
Wyld Isaac, parish clerk

OCR/Transcription by Rosemary Lockie in November 2001.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://texts.wishful-thinking.org.uk/Littlebury1876/Titley.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library