Thruxton, Herefordshire

Extract from Littlebury's Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire, 1876-7
with Private and Commercial Residents

Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2001

THRUXTON is a small parish situated on the road leading from Ross to Hay, about 6 miles S.W. of Hereford, 14 N.W. of Ross, 16 S.E. of Hay, and 2 W.N.W. of Tram Inn station on the Newport, Abergavenny, and Hereford branch of the Great Western railway. It is in Webtree hundred, Dore union and petty sessional division, Madley polling district, and Hereford county court district. The population in 1861 was 65; in 1871, 68; inhabited houses, 13; families or separate occupiers, 13; area of parish, 437 acres; annual rateable value, £755. The Rev. Archer Clive, of Whitfield, is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is a stiff loam; chief crops, wheat, barley, roots, clover, &c. The parish produces excellent limestone for agricultural purposes. There is an ancient tumulus in the parish. Thruxton is in the diocese, archdeaconry, and rural deanery of Hereford; living, a rectory, annexed to the vicarage of Kingstone; joint value, £300, with residence and 15 acres of glebe; patron, the Lord Bishop of Hereford; rector, Rev. T. Thistlethwaite Smith, who was instituted in 1870.

The church of St. Bartholomew was restored in 1865-66 (with the exception of the upper part of the tower and the bells), under the superintendence of William Chick, Esq., architect, of Hereford; the builder employed was Mr. Edward Bigglestone, of Hereford. The church consists of nave, chancel, porch, and tower of the Decorated period. The walls inside are denuded of plaster, and the stone laid bare and pointed. The nave and chancel are paved with Godwin's tiles, the porch restored, and a thick glass floor placed above the lower story of the tower, which is used as a vestry, for the purpose of introducing light. The church is seated with low open seats, all free. A carved oak pulpit, lectern, and font-cover have been given, together with the holy table and its vesting, and corona for the chancel. The east window is of stained glass, by Bailey, of London, in memory of Archdeacon Wetherell, a former rector of the parish, inserted at the request of his widow. There is another memorial window by Hardman, of Birmingham, to the Ven. Archdeacon Lane Freer, D.D. The earliest register is dated 1582. The children of this parish are accommodated at Kingstone school.

POSTAL REGULATIONS.- Letters are received through Hereford, which is the nearest telegraph office. Madley is the nearest money order office. Post town, Hereford.
Parish Church (St. Bartholomew's.- Rev. T. Thistlethwaite Smith, Rector; Mr. George Wood, Churchwarden.
Wormside Agricultural Society.- Mr. George Wood, jun., Secretary.
PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
Broad Mr. Thomas, Thruxton house
Smith Rev. T. Thistlethwaite (rector of Thruxton and vicar of Kingstone), The Rectory
COMMERCIAL.
Carless Chas., frmr., Pool farm, Winnall
Evesham Mrs., farmer
Jones Henry, stonemason
Ockey Edward, farmer, Exchequer court
Wood George, farmer, Thruxton court

OCR/Transcription by Rosemary Lockie in November 2001.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://texts.wishful-thinking.org.uk/Littlebury1876/Thruxton.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library