Sutton St. Nicholas, Herefordshire

Extract from Littlebury's Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire, 1876-7
with Private and Commercial Residents

Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2004

SUTTON ST. NICHOLAS is a small parish and village situated ½ mile E. of the river Lugg, about 1 mile N.W. of the Hereford and Bromyard road, and l½ miles E.S.E. of Moreton station on the Shrewsbury and Hereford railway; is distant 4 miles N. by N.E. of Hereford, 10 S.S.E. of Leominster, and 10 S.W. of Bromyard; is in Broxash hundred, Hereford union, county court district, polling district, and petty sessional division. The population in 1861 was 251; in 1871, 260; inhabited houses, 55; families or separate occupiers, 59; area of parish, 721 acres; annual rateable value, £1,410. Mrs. Evans, of Moreton court, who is lady of the manor, Joseph Carless, Esq., Edward Brace, Esq., Mrs. Jancey, Mrs. Maddy, and Mrs. Newman, are the principal landowners. The soil is loamy and gravelly; subsoil, marl; chief produce, wheat, beans, hops, fruit, &c. Sutton St. Nicholas is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Hereford and rural deanery of Weston; living, a rectory; value, £193, with residence and 19 acres of glebe; patrons, the representatives of the late J. M'Gillicuddy, Esq.; rector, Rev. George Henry Johnstone, B.A., of Trinity College, Cambridge, who was instituted in 1847. The Rev. D.A.F. Saunders, of King's College, London, is the curate in sole charge. The church of St. Nicholas is a stone edifice, with nave, chancel, south transept (commonly called the ladye chapel), north porch, and substantial square tower containing four bells. The charities belonging to the parish amount to £7 yearly, and are distributed in money and coals. A new school, to accommodate 100 children, was erected in 1874. The Wesleyan chapel, though situate in the village of Sutton, is in the parish of Marden. Sutton Court is the residence of Mrs. Bradney.

POSTAL REGULATIONS.- Letters arrive by messenger from Hereford at 9 a.m.; the letter-box in the village is cleared at 4.30 p.m. Hereford is the nearest money order and telegraph office and post town.
Parish Church (St. Nicholas').- Rev. George Henry Johnstone, B.A., Rector; Rev. D.A.F. Saunders, A.K.C., Curate in sole charge; Christopher J. Dowding and William Chick, Esqs., Churchwardens; William Farmer, Parish Clerk.
National School (boys and girls).- Mr. W. Boole, Master.
Sutton Wesleyan Chapel (in Marden parish).- Ministers various.
PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
Bradney Mrs., Sutton court
Chick William, Esq., Woodville lodge
Dowding Mr. Christopher J., Pantalls
Dowding Mr. Francis, Stone house
Hill Rev. John, Ridgeway cottage
Newman Mrs. John, Field house
Saunders Rev. D. Arthur F., A.K.C. (vicar of Sutton St. Michael and curate in sole charge of Sutton St. Nicholas), The Rectory
COMMERCIAL.
Aldridge Joseph, wheelwright, Cross
Baker John, carpenter, Sutton Lakes
Boole W., master of National school
Burnett Francis, farmer, The Lane
Daniel John, blacksmith
Dowding Christopher John, farmer and landowner, Pantalls
English John, farmer, Wyatt
Farmer William, carpenter and parish clerk
Graves James, farmer, Wyatt
Griffiths John, Golden Cross Inn, and shopkeeper
Hodges James, farmer, Pitt farm; res., Amberley court, Marden
Hooper George, farmer, Court house
Jones Mrs., farmer, Hawker's hill
Jones William, farmer, Sutton Lakes
Lewis James, farmer, Field house
Morris Mrs., farmer, Upper house
Parry William, blacksmith, Mill pool
Skidmore Thomas, shopkeeper
Walker William, gardener, Church house
Wall Peter, farmer, Rose cottage

OCR/Transcription by Rosemary Lockie in July 2004.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://texts.wishful-thinking.org.uk/Littlebury1876/SuttonStNicholas.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library