Stretton Sugwas, Herefordshire

Extract from Littlebury's Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire, 1876-7
with Private and Commercial Residents

Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2004

STRETTON SUGWAS,
WITH THE HAMLET OF SWAINSHILL.

STRETTON-SUGWAS is a small parish and village situated on the main roads leading from Hereford to Hay and Kington; is distant 4 miles N.W. of Hereford, and about 1½ S.E. of Credenhill station on the Hereford, Hay, and Brecon branch of the Midland railway. It is in Grimsworth hundred, Hereford union, petty sessional division, county court district, and polling district. The population in 1861 was 209; in 1871, 272; inhabited houses, 54; families or separate occupiers, 71; area of parish, 767 acres; annual rateable value, £1,826. The Governors of Guy's Hospital, London, are lords of the manor and principal landowners. The Rev. H. Cooper Key, M.A., F.R.A.S., and the Exors. of the late Edward Russell, Esq., are also landowners here. The soil is loamy; subsoil, gravel; chief produce, wheat, barley, beans, fruit, and excellent cider and perry. Stratton-Sugwas is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Hereford and rural deanery of Weston. Living, a rectory; value, £250, with residence and 24 acres of glebe; patrons, the trustees of the Rev. H.C. and Mrs. Key; rector, Rev. Henry Cooper Key, M.A., of Christ Church, Oxford, who was instituted in 1846.

The church, dedicated to St. Mary Magdalene, was restored in 1847, but wants repair and enlargement. It is a plain edifice, consisting of nave and chancel, with a wooden tower at the west end containing four bells. It contains some interesting Norman carving; also a Norman font. The register begins with the year 1733. The churchyard is planted with evergreens and other trees, and is kept in very nice order. There is a national school, for boys and girls, under government inspection. It has a certificated mistress, and an average attendance of 50. Swainshill is a hamlet, situated on the Hereford and Hay road, about 1 mile S.W. of the church. At Sugwas, which is near this parish, was a palace and chapel belonging to the Bishops of Hereford. This was the principal residence of Bishop Cantilupe, and was last inhabited by Bishop Ironsides, at the conclusion of the 17th century. Sugwas Pool formerly occupied an area of 7 acres; it is now nearly dried up, and there are a few cottages in its neighbourhood.

POSTAL REGULATIONS.- Mrs. Eliza Stevens, Sub-Postmistress, Swains- hill. Letters arrive by mail-cart from Hereford at 7.15 a.m.; despatched thereto at 6.10 p.m. There is a wall letter-box at King's Acre, which is cleared at 6.15 p.m. Hereford is the nearest money order and telegraph office and post town.
Parish Church (St. Mary Magdalene).- Rev. Henry Cooper Key, M.A., Rector; James Powell, Churchwarden; James Jones, Parish Clerk and Sexton.
National School (boys and girls).- Mrs. Maria Stodart, Mistress.
Carriers to Hereford (passing through).- William Watkins and Mrs. Catherine Taylor, every Wednesday and Saturday, returning the same days.

STRETTON SUGWAS,
WITH THE HAMLET OF SWAINSHILL DIRECTORY.

PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
Edwards Edwin Edward, Esq., Stratton house
Guthrie Mrs., Edgcombe ho., Swainshill
Hawkins Mr. T., The Elms, Swainshill
Key Rev. Henry Cooper, M.A., F.R.A.S. (rector), The Rectory
COMMERCIAL.
Badham Alfred, farmer, The Lakes
Bowen Sarah, shopkeeper
Hill Mrs. Ann, Kite's Nest Inn
Jones James, parish clerk and sexton
Parry William, blacksmith
Parsons James, carpenter
Powell James, churchwarden
Preece William, Travellers' Rest Inn, wheelwright, and thrashing machine proprietor
Stevens Mrs. Eliza, sub-postmistress and shopkeeper, Post office, Swainshill
Stodart David, plumber, painter, & glazr.
Tristram John, builder, crpntr. & joiner
Wall James, builder and stonemason
Watkins John, blacksmith and shopkpr.
Yeomans Mrs., farmer Stretton court

OCR/Transcription by Rosemary Lockie in July 2004.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://texts.wishful-thinking.org.uk/Littlebury1876/StrettonSugwas.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library