Stretton Grandison, Herefordshire

Extract from Littlebury's Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire, 1876-7
with Private and Commercial Residents

Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2002

STRETTON-GRANDISON, or STRETTON-GRANDSOME, is a small parish situated near the roads leading from Hereford to Worcester and from Ledbury to Leominster; also near the Hereford and Gloucester canal. It is distant 8 miles N.W. of Ledbury, 9 N.E. of Hereford, 9 S. of Bromyard, and about 3 N.W. of Ashperton and the same distance N.E. of Stoke Edith stations on the Worcester and Hereford railway. It is in Radlow hundred, Ledbury union, petty sessional division, and county court district, and Bishop's Froome polling district. The population in 1861 was 130; in 1871, 129; inhabited houses, 25; families or separate occupiers, 25; area of parish, 1,161a. 0r. 11p.; annual rateable value, £1,864. The Rev. William Poole, of Hentland, near Ross, is the chief landowner. The soil is clayey, producing wheat, beans, hops, fruit, &c. Stretton-Grandison is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Hereford and rural deanery of South Froome; living, a vicarage, annexed to the chapelry of Ashperton; joint value, £620, including residence and 166 acres of glebe; patron, John Hopton, Esq.; vicar, Rev. John Buckle, M.A., of St. Mary Hall, Oxford, who was instituted in 1859, and resides at Ashperton.

The Rev. Robert Wade-Gery, M.A., of Emmanuel College, Cambridge, is the curate. The church of St. Lawrence is in the Decorated style of architecture, and consists of nave, chancel, porch, and square embattled tower with spire and six bells. Four good painted glass windows have been erected as memorials. The seats are all free and unappropriated. The chancel was restored in 1855, and the remainder of the fabric in 1860. The spire was rebuilt in 1867; and the bells have been recast and rehung at a cost of £300. A new school, with teacher's residence, was erected near the church in 1875 to accommodate 60 children, at an expense of £576, the greater part of which was defrayed by the Rev. W. Poole. It is the public elementary school for the parishes of Stretton and Eggleton. Homend, the property of the Rev. William Poole, M.A., is a handsome mansion situated in a finely-wooded park. It is at present unoccupied.

POSTAL REGULATIONS.- Letters arrive by messenger from Ledbury about 10.30 a.m. The wall letter-box is cleared at 3.25 p.m. on week days only. Tarrington is the nearest money order office. Postal telegrams may be sent from Stoke Edith and Ashperton railway stations. Post town, Ledbury.
Parish Church (St. Lawrence's).- Rev. John Buckle, M.A., Vicar; Rev. Robert Wade-Gery, M.A., Curate; Messrs. Stephen Pitt, jun., and Thomas Pitt, Churchwardens; Thomas Chadd, Parish Clerk.
National School (boys and girls).- Miss Ellen Dunne, Mistress.
Carrier to Hereford.- John Bounds, on Wednesdays and Saturdays; stops at the Coach and Horses Inn, Commercial street, returning therefrom about 4p.m.
PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
Homes Mrs. Susan, Townsend house
Wade-Gery Rev. Robert, M.A. (curate of Stretton-Grandison with Ashperton), The Vicarage
COMMERCIAL.
Baker James Thomas, farmer and hop grower, Whitwick Manor farm
Bounds John, carrier to Hereford
Deem Thomas, blacksmith
Dutson John, carpenter, &c.
Homes Mrs. Susan, farmer and hop grower, Townsend
Peart John, shopkeeper
Pitt Stephen, jun., farmer and hop grower, Stretton court
Pitt Thomas, frmr. and hop gr., New ho.

OCR/Transcription by Rosemary Lockie in October 2002.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://texts.wishful-thinking.org.uk/Littlebury1876/StrettonGrandison.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library