Stoke Lacy, Herefordshire

Extract from Littlebury's Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire, 1876-7
with Private and Commercial Residents

Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2002

STOKE LACY is a parish and village situated on the main road between Bromyard and Hereford; and on the river Leadon; is distant 4 miles S.S.W. of Bromyard, 10 N.E. of Hereford, 11 S.E. of Leominster, and 12 N.W. of Ledbury; is in Broxash hundred, Bromyard union, petty sessional division, and county court district, and Ocle Pychard (Burley Gate) polling district. The population in 1861 was 348; in 1871, 346; inhabited houses, 75; families or separate occupiers, 76; area of parish, 2,005a. 3r. 3p.; annual rateable value, £2,708. The Right Hon. Earl Somers, of Eastnor castle, is lord of the manor, and Miss Luxmore and George Thomas Dent, Esq., are the principal landowners. The soil is clayey; subsoil, limestone; products, wheat, barley, beans, hops, fruit, &c. Stoke Lacy is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Hereford and rural deanery of North Froome; living, a rectory; value, £334, with residence and 19 acres of glebe; patron and rector, Rev. Henry Morgan, LL.B., of St. John's College, Cambridge, who was instituted in 1871. The church, dedicated to St. Peter and St. Paul, is a small stone edifice, consisting of nave, chancel, porch, square tower, and spire, with four bells. The chancel was rebuilt about thirty years ago. The nave and tower were rebuilt in 1863-64 at a cost of £963, of which £500 was contributed by Church Building Societies. The interior is plain, and contains stone pulpit, screen, and nearly 200 sittings, all of which are free. The register commences with the year 1567. A new parochial school, to accommodate about 60 children, was erected in 1875 by voluntary contributions,

POSTAL REGULATIONS.- Letters are received through Worcester via Bromyard, and arrive by messenger from the latter place about 9 a.m. The wall letter-box, near the church, is cleared at 4 p.m. on week-days only. Bromyard is the nearest money order and telegraph office. Post town, Worcester.
Parish Church (SS. Peter and Paul).- Rev. Henry Morgan, LL.B., Rector; Rev. H.G. Morgan, B.A., Curate; Messrs. George T. Dent and John B. Parker, Churchwardens; William Hodges, Parish Clerk.
National School (boys and girls).- Mr. William Leache, Master.
Carrier to Hereford.- Henry Davis, every Wednesday and Saturday; stops at the Hop Pole Inn, Commercial road, and returns therefrom at 4.30 p.m. the same days.
PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
Dent Mr. George Thomas, Nether court
Dent Mr. Matthew Stephen, Church ho.
Morgan Rev. Henry, LL.B. (rector), The Rectory
Morgan Rev. H.G., B.A. (curate), The Rectory
COMMERCIAL.
Beavan Jas., frmr. & hop grwr., Tuthill
Beavan William, farmer, Cookhorn
Blissett Mrs., farmer, Mintridge
Browne Richard, miller, Stoke Lacy mill
Busk George, Plough, Inn, and blksmith.
Davies James, farmer, White house
Davies Jeremiah, mason
Davis Henry, farmer, Huddle mill
Dent George Thomas, farmer, hop grower, and landowner, Nether court
Dent Matthew Stephen, frmr., Church ho.
Hart John, shopkeeper
Hodges William, parish clerk
Jay John, farmer, Crick's green
Johnson William, assistant overseer
Kennard Thomas, boot and shoe maker
Leache William, schoolmaster
Parker John B., farmer, Newton
Philpott Edmund, farmer and hop grower, Upper house
Powell Elisha, farmer, Upper Woodend
Shufflebotham James, farmer and hop grower, The Grove
Sirrell Mrs., shopkeeper
Smith Joseph, frmr. & butcher, Lower bo.
Taylor Philip Williams, frmr., Merryfield
Williams Joseph, farmer, Hedgeley
Williams Mark, shopkeeper and shoema.
Williams Thomas, farmer, Halfway house
Williams Thomas, shoema., Crick's green
Wood Richard Allen, farmer, The Sough

OCR/Transcription by Rosemary Lockie in October 2002.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://texts.wishful-thinking.org.uk/Littlebury1876/StokeLacy.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library