Staunton on Wye, Herefordshire

Extract from Littlebury's Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire, 1876-7
with Private and Commercial Residents

Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2002

STAUNTON-UPON-WYE is a parish and village situated on the main road from Hereford to Hay, and between the river Wye and the Hereford, Hay, and Brecon railway. It is distant 10 miles W.N.W. of Hereford, 10 S.E. of Kington, 10 E.N.E. of Hay, 13 S.W. of Leominster, 5 S.S.W. of Weobley, and about 2½ S.W. of Moorhampton station on the Hereford, Hay, and Brecon branch of the Midland railway; is in Grimsworth hundred, Weobley union and petty sessional division, Yazor polling district, and Hereford county court district. The population in 1861 was 675; in 1871, 637; inhabited houses, 145; families or separate occupiers, 157; area of parish, 2,320 acres; annual rateable value, £3,800. Captain Thomas William James Downes (who is lord of the manor) and Sir Henry Geers Cotterell, Bart., are the principal landowners. The soil is clayey; subsoil, sandy and gravelly; chief crops, wheat, barley, beans, peas, roots, fruit, and hops. Staunton is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Hereford and rural deanery of Weobley; living, a rectory; net value, about £350 (arising wholly from 324 acres of land in lieu of tithe), with residence; patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Christ Church, Oxford; rector, Rev. Henry Wright Phillott, M.A., late student of Christ Church, Oxford, who was instituted in 1850, and is also prælector and prebendary of Hereford cathedral, and rural dean of Weobley.

The church, dedicated to St. Mary the Virgin, is an ancient stone edifice, chiefly in the Transition style; it has nave, chancel (rebuilt in 1720), porch on south side, and a shingle-covered spire with six bells. The chancel was thoroughly repaired, the gallery removed, tower opened, nave reseated, the church warmed with Haden's apparatus, and various repairs and improvements executed in 1861-62, at a cost of about £600. An organ was erected in 1863. The ceiling of the nave was removed, and the roof opened to the rafters in 1867. The reredos was painted in 1868. The bells were repaired and rehung in 1873, by Messrs. White, of Appleton, near Abingdon. Open seats were completed, and other improvements made in 1875, at a cost of £150, chiefly defrayed by the rector. The earliest register is dated 1677. A beautiful view of the surrounding country may be obtained from the churchyard. The Primitive Methodist chapel was erected in 1867. This parish partakes, with Bredwardine and Letton, in the proceeds of Jarvis' Charity, the income of which arises chiefly from the dividends on about £76,000 stock and landed property.

The charity consists of money left by G. Jarvis, Esq., A.D. 1790, and since increased by accumulation and falling in of legacies. The present income is about £2,400 per annum, and is distributed, according to a chancery scheme of 1852, in proportions of 13, 11, and 6, among inhabitants of Bredwardine, Staunton-upon-Wye, and Letton, respectively. The objects to which it is applied are: (1) Payment of a medical officer, supply of medical necessaries, and relief of the poor in sickness; (2) Maintenance in two almshouses, in the parish of Staunton, of six poor men and six women; (3) Contribution to clothing and coal clubs; (4) Permanent relief of sundry aged and infirm persons; (5) Maintenance of schools, and clothing of many of the children in each of the three parishes. The present trustees are the Bishop of the diocese, and the Incumbents of the three parishes, ex officio. Besides these, Sir H.G. Cotterell, Bart., Rev. Sir G.H. Cornewall, Bart., Rev. G.H. Davenport, B. Haigh Allen, Esq., J.H. Griffiths, Esq., J. Freeman Blisset, Esq., and W.S. Broadwood, Esq. The Medical Officer is P.B. Giles, Esq., M.R.C.S. Clerk and Storekeeper, Mr. W.R. Clarke. The number of children (boys, girls, and infants) under instruction at Staunton is about 150, viz., 90 boys and girls, and 60 infants. The children from Monnington also attend this school. The medical officer and clerk to the trustees of the charity have residences at Staunton.

POSTAL REGULATIONS.- Post office, Portway; Tracy Preece, Sub-Postmaster. Letters arrive from Hereford at 8.20 a.m.; despatched thereto at 5.30 p.m. Letters can be registered here. Weobley is the nearest money order and telegraph office. Post town, Hereford.
Post office, Over Letton; Thomas Nicholas, Sub-Postmaster. Letters arrive from Hereford by mail-cart at 8.10 a.m.; despatched thereto at 5.15 p.m. Letters can be registered here. Eardisley is the nearest money order and telegraph office. Post town, Hereford.
Parish Church (St. Mary the Virgin).- Rev. Henry Wright Phillott, M.A., Rector; Messrs. William Young and William Hudson, Churchwardens; George Powles, Parish Clerk.
Jarvis' Charity Schools (boys, girls, and infants).- Mr. Frederick Ramsay, Master; Mrs. Phoebe F. Ramsay, Mistress; Miss Elizabeth Thompson, Infants' Mistress.
Almshouses (Jarvis' Charity) for six aged men and six aged women.
Primitive Methodist Chapel.- Ministers various.
Carrier to Hereford.- Jonathan Burton, on Wednesdays and Saturdays; stops at the Red Lion Inn, Eign street, and returns about 4 p.m.
PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
Clarke Mr. William Richard
Giles Peter Broome, Esq., M.R.C.S., L.S.A.
Giles Peter Broome, jun., Esq., M.R.C.S.
Jones Mrs. Ellen Maria, New house
May Mr. Henry
Phillott Rev. Henry Wright, M.A. (rector of Staunton-upon-Wye; prælector
and prebendary of Hereford cathedral; rural dean of Weobley deanery; chairman of Jarvis' charity), The Rectory
Phillott Johnson, Esq., The Rectory
COMMERCIAL.
Baker Mrs. E., Talbot Inn, & frmr., Portway
Baker Samuel, blacksmith
Baker William, blacksmith
Blenkin John, farmer, Lower house
Burton Mrs. Eliza, grcr. & baker, Rhyddwr
Burton Jonathan, carrier
Clarke William Richard, secretary and clerk to the trustees of Jarvis' charity
Dovey William, farmer, Rhyddwr
Everall Charles, farmer, Church house
Garstone Mrs. Jane, shopkeeper
Giles Peter Broome, M.R.C.S., L.S.A., medical officer to Jarvis' charity,
and surgeon to the Wye side district of Weobley union
Grigg James, carpenter, Over Letton
Hanley Thomas, farmer, Bird's farm
Holloway William, farmer, Letton court
Hudson William, farmer, Hanmore farm and Oaker's hill
Hughes Henry, tailor
Jenkins George, boot and shoe maker
Jones Mrs. Elizabeth, freeholder
Jones John, haulier
Jones Thomas, boot and shoe maker
Jordan Mrs., farmer
Langford Wm., stone-cutter, provision dealer, and beer retailer (New Inn)
Lewis John, carpenter, &c.
Maund Andrew, farmer, Duck street
Motley Mrs. Ann, boot and shoe maker
Neale Joseph, butcher
Nicholas Thos., sub-postmstr., Over Letton
Pantall Henry, farmer, Bliss hall and Hackford farms
Parry John, tailor
Parry Mrs. Margaret, laundress
Parry Richard, blacksmith, Over Letton
Parry Thomas, carpenter & farmer, Redlay farm
Powles George, butcher and parish clerk
PREECE TRACY, wheelwright, agricultural machinist, implementmkr.,
and sub-postmaster, Portway
Price Mrs. Jane, Swan Inn, and farmer, Over Letton
Ramsay Frederick, master of Jarvis' schl.
Russell Charles, thrashing machine propr.
Sheriff William, tailor
Thompson Miss Elizabeth, schoolmistress
Watkins William, shoemaker and farmer
Williams Charles, cooper, Over Letton
Williams Thos., shoemaker, The Common
Young William, farmer, Kilkington

OCR/Transcription by Rosemary Lockie in October 2002.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://texts.wishful-thinking.org.uk/Littlebury1876/StauntononWye.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library