Staunton on Arrow, Herefordshire

Extract from Littlebury's Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire, 1876-7
with Private and Commercial Residents

Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2002

STANTON-UPON-ARROW,
WITH THE HAMLETS OF STANSBATCH AND HORSEWAY HEAD.

STANTON, or STAUNTON, is a parish situated on the river Arrow, distant 6 miles E.N.E. of Kington, 9½ W. of Leominster, 5 S.S.W. of Presteigne, 18 N.W. of Hereford, and about 2 N.W. of Pembridge station on the Leominster and Kington railway. It is in Wigmore and Stretford hundreds, Kington union, petty sessional division, and county court district, and Pembridge polling district. The population in 1861 was 387; in 1871, 391; inhabited houses, 71; families or separate occupiers, 75; area of parish, 2,728a. 3r. 22p.; annual rateable value, £3,103. James King King, Esq., is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The Misses Fletcher and Charles Williams Greenly, Esq., are also landowners here. The soil is clayey, producing wheat, barley, oats, hops, fruit, &c. The river Arrow is noted for trout and grayling fishing. In the vicinity are vestiges of an extensive encampment, called "Wapley Camp", which was exceedingly strong, and of British construction. The banks and ditches of it are fivefold, excepting on one side, where the steepness of the ascent is sufficient security: they are also very deep and high.

This camp, with all its appendages, cannot fail to discover a striking correspondency with the description which Tacitus has given of the encampments of the great Caractacus; and to infer that this was one of those posts which the illustrious Silurian occupied, and thereby endeavoured to save his country from the rod of tyrants. There is also a rabbit warren, which occupies an area of about 240 acres. Stanton is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Hereford and rural deanery of Leominster; living, a vicarage; value, £230, with residence and 36 acres of glebe; patron, the Lord Chancellor; vicar, Rev. William Peile Babington, M.A., of Pembroke College, Cambridge, who was instituted in 1865. The rectorial tithes are commuted at £172 11s., and the Bishop of Hereford and James King King, Esq., are impropriators.

The church, dedicated to St. Peter, was rebuilt in 1854 at a cost of £2,060, chiefly defrayed by J. King King, Esq. It is a neat stone edifice in an ornamental Gothic style of architecture, and consists of nave, chancel, transept, and tower, with accommodation for about 250 persons. The register goes back to the year 1597. There is a parochial school for boys and girls with an average attendance of 50. It is mainly supported by subscription. Stanton Park, the seat of James King King, Esq., M.A. (Oxon.), J.P., D.L., is a handsome mansion, situated about half a mile N.W. of the village. Mr. King was M.P. for the county from 1852-68, and has served the office of high sheriff. Stansbatch is a hamlet distant 12 miles N.W.; Horseway Head is about the same distance W. of the village.

POSTAL REGULATIONS.- Matthew Stead, Sub-Postmaster, Stanton green. Letters arrive at 7.30 a.m.; despatched at 6.10 p.m. Pembridge and Shobdon are the nearest money order and telegraph offices. Stanton being what is termed a Railway Sub-office, letters, &c., should be addressed - Stanton-upon-Arrow, R.S.O. (Herefordshire).
Parish Church (St. Peter's).- Rev. William Peile Babington, M.A., Vicar; James King King, Esq., and Mr. William Henry West, Churchwardens; Thomas Morris, Parish Clerk.
Free School (boys and girls).- Mrs Ann Morris Mistress

STANTON-UPON-ARROW,
WITH THE HAMLETS OF STANSBATCH AND HORSEWAY HEAD DIRECTORY.

PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
Babington Rev. William Peile, M.A. (vicar), The Vicarage
Fletcher The Misses, Upper ho., Stansbatch
King James King, Esq., M.A. (Oxon.), J.P., and D.L., Stanton park; and 97 Eaton place, and Carlton club, London, S.W.
COMMERCIAL.
Bache John Richard, farmer, Rough acre
Bird John, farmer, Tan house
Ellis Arthur, carpenter and wheelwright, Stansbatch
Joseph Robert, mason, Horseway head
Mainwaring Edward, farmer, Highlands, and The Warren
Morgan Wm., miller & frmr., Stanton mill
Morris Mrs. Ann, schoolmistress
Morris Thomas, parish clerk
Parkes John Thomas, farmer, Lower house, Stansbatch
Pitt John, land steward for James King
King, Esq., J.P., D.L., Stanton park
Powell Richard, blacksmith, Stansbatch
Rawlings John, mason, Horseway head
Seymour Edmund, blacksmith and shopkeeper
Stead Matthew, sub-postmaster, shopkeeper, and farmer, The Green
Stephens Edmund, farmer, Lower Mowley
Turner Thomas A., farmer, The Farm
West William Henry, farmer, Stanton court

OCR/Transcription by Rosemary Lockie in October 2002.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://texts.wishful-thinking.org.uk/Littlebury1876/StauntononArrow.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library