Stapleton, Herefordshire

Extract from Littlebury's Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire, 1876-7
with Private and Commercial Residents

Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2002

STAPLETON is a township belonging to the parish of Presteigne, Radnorshire, but situate in the county of Hereford. It is distant about 1 mile N.E. of Presteigne railway station, 7 miles N. of Kington, 6 S. of Knighton, 15 W.N.W. of Leominster, and 23 N.W. of Hereford; is in Wigmore hundred and polling district, Presteigne union and county court district, and Kington petty sessional division. The population in 1861 was 159; in 1871, 190; inhabited houses, 40; families or separate occupiers, 40; area of township, 1,252 acres; annual rateable value, £1,892. The trustees of the late Francis Evelyn, Esq., are lords of the manor, and, with Sir Harford James Jones Brydges, Bart., are the chief landowners. The soil is loamy, with a gravelly subsoil; produce, wheat, barley, oats, roots, &c.

POSTAL REGULATIONS.- Letters arrive from Presteigne about 9 a.m.; despatched thereto at 6 p.m. Presteigne, R.S.O., is the nearest money order and telegraph office.
Assistant Overseer.- Mr James Young Broad street Presteigne
PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
Gawtrey Mrs.
Griffiths Mr. David, Stapleton cottage
Parsons Mrs., Stapleton villa
COMMERCIAL.
Radland John, farmer, Brook house
Britten Wm. E., frmr., Stapleton Castle fm.
Deakins Edward, farmer, The Whym
Griffiths John, frmr. & landwnr., The Moor

OCR/Transcription by Rosemary Lockie in October 2002.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://texts.wishful-thinking.org.uk/Littlebury1876/Stapleton.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library