Stanford Bishop, Herefordshire

Extract from Littlebury's Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire, 1876-7
with Private and Commercial Residents

Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2002

STANFORD BISHOP is a parish situated on the borders of Worcestershire, distant 3 miles S.E. of Bromyard, 12 N. of Ledbury, 14 N.E. of Hereford, and about 2 S.W. of Yearsett station on the Worcester and Bromyard railway. It is in Broxash hundred, Bromyard union, county, court district, polling district, and petty sessional division. The population in 1861 was 234; in 1871, 237; inhabited houses, 49; families or separate occupiers, 55; area of parish, 1,471 acres; annual rateable value, £2,002. The Lord Bishop of Hereford is lord of the manor. The principal landowners are the Rev. Arthur Childe, of Edvin Ralph, George Bearcroft Essex, Esq., Leigh court, near Worcester, Sir Edmund A.H. Lechmere, Bart., M.P., Rhydd court, Upton-on-Severn, the Executors of the late Rev. W. Wall, and the trustees of the Worcester municipal charities. The soil is clayey and loamy; subsoil, clay and rock; chief produce, wheat, beans, oats, hops, fruit, &c. Stanford Bishop is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Hereford and rural deanery of North Froome; living, a vicarage; value, £80; patron, the Lord Bishop of Hereford; vicar, Rev. John Booth, B.A., of Queen's College, Cambridge, who was instituted in 1836, and resides at The Firs, near Bromyard. The church, dedicated to St. James, is an old stone edifice in a very dilapidated state. It consists of nave, chancel, porch, and small square tower containing two bells. The chancel was fully restored a few years ago, mainly at the expense of the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. The parish register begins with the year 1750. A school board has been recently formed for the united district of Stanford Bishop and Acton Beauchamp (Worcestershire), and a new school is about to be erected.

POSTAL REGULATIONS.- Letters are received through Worcester via Bromyard, and arrive by messenger from the latter place about 9.30 a.m.; despatched thereto at 4.30 p.m. Bromyard is the nearest money order and telegraph office. Post town, Worcester.
Parish Church (St. James').- Rev. John Booth, B.A., Vicar; Mr. Thomas Allies, Churchwarden; William Mitchell, Parish Clerk.
Stanford Bishop and Acton Beauchamp School Board.- Henry Nicholls Knott, Esq., Bromyard, Clerk.
PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
(None listed)
COMMERCIAL.
Allies Thos., frmr. & hop grwr., Hyde fm.
Allkins Henry, butcher and beer retailer, Woodford common
Badham John, shoemaker and cot. frmr.
Bidewell Mrs. Mary, farmer, Hill Oak farm
Cook John, farmer and hop grower, Hope house and Meadow farms
Crump Mrs. Sarah, farmer, Lower house farm
Essex Geo. Bearcroft, landowner, farmer, and hop grower,
Stanford court; res., Leigh court, Worcester
Hill James, blacksmith, New house
Hughes Richard, farmer, The Boyce farm
Jenkins John, farmer, Woolnerhill
Mitchell William, parish clerk
Mitton James, shopkeeper
Mitton John, cottage farmer
Page Herbert, beer retailer
Page Richard, farmer, The Oaks; and at Old House farm, Linton, Bromyard
Philpott James, farmer, Hawkins farm
Saunders Joseph, farmer, Barton ball
Vale Miss, farmer, Bull ring
Wall William, farmer, The Fleet; res.,
Wootton's farm, Acton Beauchamp, Worcester

OCR/Transcription by Rosemary Lockie in October 2002.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://texts.wishful-thinking.org.uk/Littlebury1876/StanfordBishop.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library