St Weonards, Herefordshire

Extract from Littlebury's Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire, 1876-7
with Private and Commercial Residents

Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2004

ST. WEONARDS is a large parish and village situated on the main road between Hereford and Monmouth, and about 1 mile N. of the Ross and Abergavenny road; is distant 7½ miles W. of Ross, 7½ N. of Monmouth, and 10 S. of Hereford; is in Wormelow hundred (lower division), Ross union and county court district, Harewood End petty sessional division, and is a polling place for county elections. The population in 1861 was 690; in 1871, 694; inhabited houses, 131; families or separate occupiers, 143; area of parish, 4,465a. 3r. 3p.; annual rateable value, £6,150. Chandos Wren Hoskyns, Esq., of Harewood house, is lord of the manor or hundred of Wormelow. The principal landowners in St. Weonards are the Rev. Daniel Capper, M.A., Robert Baskerville Rickards Mynors, Esq., of Evencoed, Radnor, T.W. Harvey, Esq., Thomas Mayos, Esq., Rev. Francis Evans, the Misses Howard, and the Governors of Guy's Hospital. The soil is sandy and loamy; subsoil, chiefly rock; produce, wheat, barley, roots, &c.

St. Weonards derives its name from the dedication of its church to the British saint of that name, whose figure, represented as an old man sustaining a book and an axe, was formerly in the north chancel window. Several of the ancient family of the Mynors, who came over with William the Conqueror, and were seated at Treago in this parish, lie buried here. The church is a fine specimen of Norman architecture, and consists of nave, chancel, side aisle, porch, and square tower containing six bells. The tower was pointed in cement and put into a thorough state of repair in 1874 at a cost of about £200. The church is well and handsomely pewed, and contains several monuments and tablets. The east window in the Mynors chapel has been restored at the expense of Mrs. Mynors, of Treago, in memory of the late Peter Rickards Mynors, Esq. A memorial window, on the north side of the chancel, has been erected to the memory, of Cecilia, wife of the Rev. W. Bond.

The living is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Hereford and rural deanery of Archenfield; it is united to the vicarage of Llangarren; joint value, £464, with 27 acres of glebe; patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Hereford; vicar, Rev. Henry John Potts, B.A., of Trinity College, Cambridge, who was instituted in 1854, and resides at Trecilla house, Llangarren. The Rev. William Bond, M.A., of Caius College, Cambridge, is the curate in sole charge. St. Weonards living is worth £220 yearly, with 18 acres of glebe. The charities belonging to the parish amount to about £30 yearly. The national school for boys and girls was enlarged in 1873 at a cost of £220. It is under government inspection and affords instruction to about 100 children. Some of the children from this parish attend the new school at Llanrothall. The Primitive Methodists have a chapel at Broad Oak. Treago, the residence of Mrs. Mynors, and Northgate House, the property of the Rev. Daniel Capper, M.A., and occupied by Samuel Cannock, Esq., are situated in this parish. Broad Oak is a hamlet partly in this parish and partly in Garway.

POSTAL REGULATIONS.- Mrs. Elliott, Sub-Postmistress. Letters arrive by messenger from Ross at 8.45 a.m.; despatched thereto at 4.55 p.m. Money orders are granted and paid and post office savings bank business transacted. The wall letter-box at Broad Oak is cleared at 4.20 p.m. Ross is the post town and telegraph office.
Parish Church (St. Weonard's).- Rev. Henry John Potts, B.A., Incumbent; Rev. William Bond, M.A., Curate in sole charge; Messrs. William Philpotts and John Embrey, Churchwardens; Alfred Dobbs, Parish Clerk.
National School (boys and girls).- Mr. John Davies, Master; Miss Rachel Davies, Sewing Mistress.
Primtive Methodist Chapel, Broad Oak.- Ministers various.
PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
Bond Rev. William, M.A. (curate in sole charge), Ongarhill house
Cannock Samuel, Esq., Northgate house
Mynors Mrs., Treago
Wagstaff Alfred, Esq., Sunny bank
COMMERCIAL.
Bamfield Richard, farmer, Rhydicar
Barrell Mrs. Elizabeth, farmer, Treago
Bright James, shopkeeper
Davies John, master of National school
Davis Thomas, farmer, Glasshouse farm
Dobbs Alfred, parish clerk
Dobbs John, wheelwright
Elliott Mrs. Elizabeth, farmer, Brinstone
Elliott Mrs., sub-postmistress, Post office
Elliott William, farmer, Tything barn
Embry David, jun., farmer, The Moor and Penrose farms
Embry James, farmer, Villendra
Embry John, farmer, Church house farm
Essex John, farm bailiff to Mr. William Wilds, Pendiggut
Gwatkin Thomas, farmer, Coppice
Hall Thomas, tiler & plasterer, Isle of Dogs
Holly William, shoemaker, Prior's wood
James William, thrashing machine proprietor, Penrose green
Jones George, farmer, Fishpool
Jones James, Treago Arms Inn, farmer, and assistant overseer
Leonard Samuel, farmer, Wallhead
Long James, farmer, Whitelands
Lucas William, farm bailiff for Robert Baskerville Rickards Mynors, . Esq., J.P., Old furnace and Partridge's nest farms
Mayos Thomas, farmer and landowner, Llangunnock
Morgan Thomas, miller, Rhydicar mill
Morris Edwin, carpenter, &c.
Palmer Thomas, farmer, Trevanning
Philpotts William, farmer, Trellesdee
Preece Mrs., shopkeeper
Preedy George, farmer, Carwendy
Preedy William, farmer, Gorstey close
Roberts James, blacksmith, Broad Oak
Rowbrey Edwin, farmer, Newton
Scudamore Henry, frmr., Trippenkennett
Stone William, farmer, Caldicott
Vaughan Henry, beer retailer, Broad Oak
Wathen Joseph Street, frmr., Colebrooke
Watkins David, farmer, The Palace
Watkins James, blacksmith
Whitney John, farmer, Kestyfield
Wilds William, farmer, Pendiggut
Williams Edwin, farmer, Trothlan farm
Williams Mrs. Elizabeth, laundress
Williams George, butcher, Sandyway

OCR/Transcription by Rosemary Lockie in June 2004.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://texts.wishful-thinking.org.uk/Littlebury1876/StWeonards.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library