St Margarets, Herefordshire

Extract from Littlebury's Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire, 1876-7
with Private and Commercial Residents

Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2004

ST. MARGARET'S is a parish and village situate in the Golden valley, near the river Dore, and distant 11 miles W.S.W. of Hereford, 10 S.E. of Hay, 19 N.W. of Monmoutb, and 5 N.N.W. of Pontrilas station on the Newport, Abergavenny, and Hereford branch of the Great Western railway. It is in Ewyas Lacy hundred, Dore union and petty sessional division, Hereford county court district, and Michaelchurch Eskley polling district. The population in 1861 was 343; in 1871, 339; inhabited houses, 74; families or separate occupiers, 74; area of parish, 2,582 acres; annual rateable value, £1,696. Miss Rawson, Herbert Howorth Wood, Esq., William Henry Hamp, Esq., and the Marquess of Abergavenny, are the principal landowners. The soil is sandy and clayey; subsoil, chiefly clay and sandstone; products, wheat, barley, oats, beans, and roots. The proposed "Golden Valley railway" will intersect the parish. St. Margaret's is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Hereford and rural deanery of Weobley; living, a vicarage with that of Michaelchurch Eskley annexed; joint value, £230, partly derived from 100 acres of glebe; patroness, Miss Rawson. The charge is at present vacant. The Rev. J. Norton, B.A., of Wadham College, Oxford, is the curate. The parish church of St. Margaret's was reseated and to a great extent renovated under the superintendence of E.H. Lingen Barker, Esq., architect, of Hereford, in the years 1865-66. It is an ancient stone edifice, in a very plain style, consisting of nave, chancel, porch, and small tower with three bells. It contains a very handsome carved oak rood-loft of 15th-century date. St. Margaret's is included in the Longtown district school board.

POSTAL REGULATIONS.- Letters are received through Hereford. Peterchurch is the nearest money order office. Pontrilas is the nearest telegraph office. Post town, Hereford.
Parish Church (St. Margaret's).- ___ ___Vicar; Rev. J. Norton, B.A., Curate; Mr. James Lewis, Churchwarden.
COMMERCIAL.
Cole Sidney, farmer, Trevaker
Davies William, blacksmith
Evans Thomas, farmer, Murryhurst
Fletcher Thomas, farmer, Old farm
Gore Theophilus, farmer, Wells green
Griffiths James, farmer, Maireses
Gwilliam James, butcher and farmer, Iron Pear-tree
Harper Edmund, beer retailer, farmer, and shopkeeper, Crossway
Howard Robert, assistant overseer
Howard Thomas, shopkeeper, and gamekeeper to H.H. Wood, Esq.
Howard William, farmer, Upper Llanon
Jones Charles, farmer, Lower Llanon
Jones George, farmer, Coed-pouth
Lewis Edmund, carpenter
Lewis James, mason
Powell James, farmer, Trecoediver
Pritchard Wm., farmer, Wern-willim
Rees Mrs. Mary, Sun Inn
Smith Herbert, farmer, Gilvah
Watkins John, farmer, The Corner
Watkins Joseph, farmer, Gilvah
Whitcomb Walter, farmer, Lower house
Williams Mary, farmer, Iron Pear-tree

OCR/Transcription by Rosemary Lockie in June 2004.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://texts.wishful-thinking.org.uk/Littlebury1876/StMargarets.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library