St Devereux, Herefordshire

Extract from Littlebury's Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire, 1876-7
with Private and Commercial Residents

Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2004

ST. DEVEREUX is a parish and railway station on the Newport, Abergavenny, and Hereford branch of the Great Western railway (West Midland section), distant 7 miles S.W. of Hereford, 16 N.E. of Abergavenny, 13 N.W. of Ross, and 16 N. of Monmouth; is situated on Worm brook, a short distance S. of the main road between Hereford and Abergavenny; is in Webtree hundred, Dore union and petty sessional division, Much Birch polling district, and Hereford county court district. The population in 1861 was 242; in 1871, 241; inhabited houses, 50; families or separate occupiers, 54; area of parish, 1,095 acres; annual rateable value, £2,707. The Rev. Archer Clive, M.A., of Whitfield, is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is clayey and loamy; subsoil, sand and limestone; chief produce, wheat, barley, oats, and roots. St. Devereux is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Hereford and rural deanery of Archenfield; living, a rectory united to Wormbridge; joint value, £305; inclusive of 56 acres of glebe; patron, Rev. Archer Clive, M.A.; rector, Rev. David John George, M.A., of Jesus College, Oxford, who was instituted in 1837. The church, dedicated to St. Devereux, is an ancient structure of stone, in the Early Norman style of architecture, with nave, chancel, porch, and small tower containing three bells. It was restored in 1859 and fitted with open seats. The register goes back to the year 1662. The children of this parish chiefly attend the district national school at Wormbridge. There is a small school for infants at Didley. The Primitive Methodist chapel was erected in 1862; a Sunday school is held in it. Didley is a hamlet about 1 mile N.E.

POSTAL REGULATIONS.- Letters are received through Hereford. Ewyas Harold is the nearest money order office; Pontrilas is the nearest telegraph office; Wormbridge is the nearest post office. Post town, Hereford.
Parish Church (St. Devereux).- Rev. David John George, M.A., Rector; Mr: George Green, Churchwarden; Christopher Reed, Parish Clerk.
Infant School, Didley.- Mrs. Evans, Mistress.
Primitive Methodist Chapel.- Ministers various.
St. Devereux Railway Station (West Midland section of Great Western Railway).- William Field, Station Master.
PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
George Rev. David John, M.A., J.P. (rector of St. Devereux with Wormbridge), Trelough
COMMERCIAL.
Berrow John, farmer and cattle dealer
Didley court and Boar's hill farms
Brisbane John, cottage farmer
Dale Thomas, farmer, White house, Didley
Field William, station master, St. Devereux railway station
Fluck Henry, frmr., Upper house, Didley
Green George, farmer, The Rectory farm
King Thomas, stonemason, Treville
Leech Thomas, cottage farmer
Nash James, farmer, Lower house, Didley
Watkins Charles, frmr., Willock's bridge
Woodhouse James, tailor and shopkeeper
Woodhouse William, boot and shoemaker

OCR/Transcription by Rosemary Lockie in June 2004.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://texts.wishful-thinking.org.uk/Littlebury1876/StDevereux.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library