Sarnesfield, Herefordshire

Extract from Littlebury's Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire, 1876-7
with Private and Commercial Residents

Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2004

SARNESFIELD is a small parish situated at the intersection of the cross roads from Hereford to Kington and from Leominster to Hay, distant 2 miles W. of Weobley, 7 S.E. of Kington, 10 S.W. of Leominster, 12 N.W. of Hereford, and about 2½ N.E. of Kinnersley and 3 N.W. of Moorhampton stations on the Hereford, Hay, and Brecon railway. It is in Wolphy hundred, Weobley union, petty sessional division, and polling district, and Kington county court district. The population in 1861 was 120; in 1871, 114; inhabited houses, 26; families or separate occupiers, 28; area of parish, 1,220a. 2r. 4p.; annual rateable value, £1,432. John Hungerford Arkwright, Esq., of Hampton court, who is lord of the manor, Henry Salvin, Esq., and Thomas Croose Parry, Esq., of Birley court, are the principal landowners. The soil is a strong loam; subsoil, clay; products, wheat, barley, roots, fruit, and a few hops. Sarnesfield is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Hereford and rural deanery of Weobley; living, a rectory; value, £198, with residence and 48 acres of glebe; patron, Henry Salvin, Esq.; rector, Rev. Joseph Dudley, B.A., of Worcester College, Oxford, who was instituted in 1846. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is a very old stone edifice in the Early English style of architecture, with tower containing two bells. It was restored in 1870 at a cost of £550, of which £360 was raised by subscription, £120 on loan (Queen Anne's bounty), £50 granted by the Diocesan Church Building Society, and £20 by the Incorporated Church Building Society. It has nave, chancel, side aisle, porch, and several monuments to the memory of the Monington family. A new harmonium was presented by Miss Browne-Clayton in 1872. The register begins with the year 1764. In the churchyard is a tombstone to the memory of John Abel, the celebrated architect, who is said to have rendered great service to the city of Hereford during the siege in 1645, and who built the market-houses of Hereford, Leominster, Kington, Brecon, and Weobley. He died in the year 1694, aged ninety-seven. This stone, which was designed and sculptured by himself, displays his own effigy, kneeling with those of his two wives, together with the emblems of his profession - the rule, the compass, and the square. On the stone is the following singular epitaph, which was also written by himself:-

"This craggy stone a covering is for an Architector's bed,
That lofty buildings raised high, yet now lyes low his head;
His line and rule, so death concludes, are locked up in store,
Build they who list, or they who wist, for he can build no more.
His house of clay could hold no longer,
May heaven's joy frame him a stronger.
JOHN ABEL.
Vive ut vivas in vitam æternam".

The children from this parish attend the school at Kinnersley. Sarnesfield Court has been recently purchased by Major Worswick.

POSTAL REGULATIONS.- Letters arrive by messenger from Kington about 10.30 a.m. The wall letter-box is cleared at 3.45 p.m. on week-days only. The nearest post office is at Woonton (Almeley). Weobley is the nearest money order and telegraph office. Post town, Kington.
Parish Church (St. Mary's).- Rev. Joseph Dudley, B.A., Rector; William Smith, Parish Clerk.
PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
Dudley Rev. Joseph, B.A. (rector), The Rectory
Worswick Major, Sarnesfield court
COMMERCIAL.
Evans Peter, farmer, Hallaston
Hankins Charles, cot. farmer, Green lane
Monnington John, farmer; res., Dairy house, Weobley
Skyrme Thomas, farmer and hop grower, Woodmonton farm
Smith William, parish clerk
Weetman John A., farmer. The Batch

OCR/Transcription by Rosemary Lockie in June 2004.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://texts.wishful-thinking.org.uk/Littlebury1876/Sarnesfield.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library