Rodd, Nash, and Little Brampton, Herefordshire

Extract from Littlebury's Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire, 1876-7
with Private and Commercial Residents

Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2002, 2004

RODD, NASH, and LITTLE BRAMPTON comprise a township in this county, but belong to the parish of Presteigne, Radnorshire, being distant 3 miles S. of that town, 5 N. of Kington, and 22 N.W. of Hereford; is in Wigmore hundred, Presteigne union and county court district, Kington polling district and petty sessional division. The population in 1861 was 153; in 1871, 143; inhabited houses, 27; families or separate occupiers, 27; area of township, 1,934 acres; annual rateable value; £2,058. Sir John Walsham, Bart., Sir Harford James Jones Brydges, Bart., and the trustees of the late Francis Evelyn, Esq., are the principal landowners. The soil is loamy; subsoil, limestone; chief crops, wheat, barley, roots, and pasture. Corton House, the residence of Mrs. Evelyn, and Greenfield House, that of Mrs. Corbett, are in the township.

POSTAL REGULATIONS.- Letters are received through Kington. Presteigne is the nearest money order and telegraph office. Post town, Kington.
PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
Corbett Mrs., Greenfield house
Evelyn Mrs. Annie, Corton house
COMMERCIAL.
Caldicott William, miller, Wegnal mill, Rodd
Edwards Geo., farmer, Little Brampton
Ford Felix, farmer, Ashley
Preece William, blacksmith, Nash
Rogers Aaron, farmer, The Rodd
Tearne Chas. Mawthill, farmer, Nash ct.
Waiters Edward, frmr., Upper ho., Nash
Wilding Richard, lime burner, Nash

OCR/Transcription by Rosemary Lockie in June 2004.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://texts.wishful-thinking.org.uk/Littlebury1876/Rodd.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library