Preston upon Wye, Herefordshire

Extract from Littlebury's Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire, 1876-7
with Private and Commercial Residents

Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2004

PRESTON is a parish and village situated on the river Wye, about 9 miles W. of Hereford, 12 E. of Hay, and 6 S. of Weobley; is in Webtree hundred, Weobley union, Bredwardine petty sessional division, Madley polling district, and Hereford county court district. The population in 1861 was 277; in 1871, 284; inhabited houses, 62; families or separate occupiers, 66; area of parish, 1,368a. 2r. 8p.; annual rateable value, £1,983. The Dean and Chapter of Hereford are lords of the manor, and Robert Henry Lee-Warner, Esq., of Tyberton court, is the principal landowner. Mr. Charles Matthews and Mr. John Davis are also landowners here. The soil is sandy and loamy; subsoil, clay and sandstone; chief produce, wheat, barley, beans, roots, &c. Preston is in the diocese, archdeaconry, and rural deanery of Hereford; living, a vicarage, annexed to that of Blakemere; joint value, £166, with 5¼ acres of glebe, also £98 from land in other parishes; patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Hereford; vicar, Rev. Andrew Pope, M.A., of Trinity College, Cambridge, who was instituted in 1873. A new vicarage house has been recently erected. The church, dedicated to St. Lawrence, is an ancient edifice in the Early English style of architecture, with nave, chancel, porch, and tower containing four bells. It is in a very dilapidated condition, but is about to be restored. The earliest register is dated 1574. A national school was erected a few years since for the parishes of Preston-upon-Wye and Blakemere. The Primitive Methodists have a chapel here erected in 1862, and the Baptists one erected in 1866. A Sunday school is held in connection with the church.

POSTAL REGULATIONS.- Letters are received through Hereford, and arrive by messenger from Madley about 12 noon. Madley and Peterchurch are the nearest money order offices. Hereford is the nearest telegraph office and post town.
Parish Church (St. Lawrence's).- Rev. Andrew Pope, M.A., Vicar; Mr. Jonathan T. Davis, Churchwarden; Thomas Williams, Parish Clerk.
Baptist Chapel.- Ministers various.
Primitive Methodist Chapel.- Ministers various.
Carrier to Hereford.- George Pugh, every Wednesday and Saturday, stops at the Nelson Inn, West street, Hereford, and returns the same days.
PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
Davis Mr. John, Preston court
Pope Rev. Andrew, M.A. (vicar of Preston with Blakemere), The Vicarage
COMMERCIAL.
Adams George William, frmr., Green fm.
Baker William, plumber and glazier
Davis Jonathan Thomas, farmer, Preston court
Gough Richard, wheelwright & carpenter
Hancorn Thomas, farmer and landowner, Bare cottage
Hill Jeremiah, farmer, Middle Bellamoor
Jackson Edward, thrashing machine proprietor
Jones George, farmer, Hainstone villa and Upper house
Jones William, miller, Preston mill
JONES JEREMIAH, freeholder, boot and shoe maker, and dealer in ready-made shoes, Rose cottage
Jones William, boot and shoe maker and freeholder, Yew-tree cottage
Lewis Mrs., shopkeeper
Matthews Charles, farmer and landowner, Lower Bellamoor
Matthews J.S., farmer, Bycross
Phillips Henry, blacksmith
Prosser William, Boar Inn
Pugh George, farmer, and carrier from Moccas to Hereford, The Green
Pugh Jas., shopkpr. & butcher, High ho.
Rowley Thomas, farmer, Lower house
Seale John, cottage farmer
Smith Thomas, gardener and freeholder
Stephens William, farmer, Hainstone fm.
Stokes Thomas, farmer, Huntley court

OCR/Transcription by Rosemary Lockie in June 2004.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://texts.wishful-thinking.org.uk/Littlebury1876/PrestononWye.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library