PrestonWynne, Herefordshire

Extract from Littlebury's Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire, 1876-7
with Private and Commercial Residents

Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2004

PRESTON WYNNE is a small parish and village situated about half a mile N.W. of the main road from Hereford to Bromyard, 6 miles N.E. of Hereford, 8½ S.W. of Bromyard, 10 S.S.E. of Leominster, and about 3 N. of Withington station on the Worcester and Hereford railway; is in Broxash hundred, Hereford union, petty sessional division, and county court district, and Bodenham polling district. The population in 1861 was 182; in 1871, 172; inhabited houses, 39; families or separate occupiers, 39; area of parish, 864 acres; annual rateable value, £1,479. The Ecclesiastical Commissioners are lords of the manor. The principal landowners are Daniel and Samuel Wood, Esqs., of Glossop, Derbyshire, James Farmer, Esq., Mrs. Builth, the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, and the Rev. Henry T. Hill, of Felton rectory. The soil is clayey and loamy; subsoil, clay; chief produce, wheat, hops, beans, fruit, &c. Preston Wynne is in the diocese, archdeaconry, and rural deanery of Hereford; living, a vicarage; value, £74, with 91 acres of glebe; patron, the Lord Bishop of Hereford; vicar, Rev. Henry Thomas Hill, M.A., of Corpus Christi College, Cambridge, who was instituted in 1858, and is also rector of Felton, prebendary of Nunnington in Hereford cathedral, and rural dean of North Froome.

The Rev. F.C. Green, M.A., of Sidney Sussex College, Cambridge, is the curate in sole charge. The church, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, was built A.D. 1727-30, and restored in 1858. It has a square tower with four pinnacles and one bell. There is a marble monument to the memory of Mrs. Henrietta Pugh. An additional window on the north side has been restored more recently, texts painted on the walls, and the sacrarium entirely paved with encaustic tiles, at the sole cost of the vicar. The register begins with the year 1740. There is an endowment of 6 acres of land, left by the late Mrs. Henrietta Pugh (of Great Baddow, Essex, for furnishing clothing to the poor. The school, with teacher's residence, was erected by the vicar on his own land in 1870, at a cost of about £320. It will accommodate 36 children of this parish and the adjoining parish of Felton.

POSTAL REGULATIONS.- Letters arrive by messenger from Hereford about 11 a.m. Postal telegrams may be sent from Withington railway station. Hereford is the nearest money order office and post town.
Parish Church (Holy Trinity).- Rev. Henry Thomas Hill, M.A., Vicar; Rev. F.C. Green, M.A., Curate in sole charge; Mr. Edward English, Churchwarden; James Rawlings, Parish Clerk.
National School (boys and girls.- Miss Martha Jane Arnold, Mistress.
Carrier to Hereford.- William Cross passes through on Wednesdays and Saturdays.
PRIVATE RESIDENT.
Green Rev. F.C., M.A. (curate in sole charge)
COMMERCIAL.
Arnold Miss Martha Jane, schoolmistress
Arrowsmith William, farmer and hop grower, The Brick house
Davis Thomas, farmer, Preston court
English Edwd., frmr. & hop gr., White ho.
Farmer Jno., frmr. & hop gr., The Marsh
Griffiths John, farmer, The Marsh
Jones Wm., frmr. & hop gr., The Buildings
Powell Jn., frmr. & hop gr., Lower twn
Powell Robert,, blacksmith
Rawlings James, parish clerk
Robinson Thomas, farmer, fruiterer, and provision dealer
Taylor Wm., frmr. and hop gr., Meadows farm; res., Thing-hill crt., Withington
Warwick Mrs. Alice, farmer, The Marsh
Warwick Goo., frmr. &hop gr., Stone ho
Warwick James, farmer Stockstree; res. Stone house

OCR/Transcription by Rosemary Lockie in June 2004.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://texts.wishful-thinking.org.uk/Littlebury1876/PrestonWynne.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library