Pipe cum Lyde, Herefordshire

Extract from Littlebury's Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire, 1876-7
with Private and Commercial Residents

Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2004

PIPE-CUM-LYDE is a parish and village situated on the road leading from Hereford to Leominster, in the centre of the county, about one mile and a half from the river Lugg. It is distant 3 miles N. of Hereford, 10 S. of Leominster, and 12 S.W. of Bromyard; is in Grimsworth hundred, Hereford union, county court district, polling district, and petty sessional division. The Shrewsbury and Hereford railway intersects the parish; the Moreton station is built on a detached portion of it, about one mile and a half north from the church. The Hereford and Gloucester canal passes through a small portion of the parish. The population in 1861 was 205; in 1871, 241; inhabited houses, 49; families or separate occupiers, 53; area of parish, 1,620 acres; annual rateable value, £2,775. The Governors of Guy's Hospital, London, are lords of the manor and principal landowners. Thomas Clarke, Esq., of Derndale, William Jay, Esq., of Highway house, William Cooke, Esq., of Moreton house, Mrs. Goode, and the Dean and Chapter of Hereford, are also landowners here.

The soil is clay and gravel, with quarries of excellent building stone. The chief crops are hops, wheat, beans, peas, barley, and apples. Pipe and Lyde is a corruption of Pipa's Lyde; Saxon for Pipa's Home. Pipa was a saint of the early Saxon church. On the Hereford and Leominster road are the yew and ash trees celebrated as the meeting-place of the Sheriff and Judges of Assize, in the old coaching days. The parish is in the diocese, archdeaconry, and rural deanery of Hereford; living, a vicarage; value, £140, with residence and 122 acres of glebe; patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Hereford; vicar, Rev. George Morehouse Metcalfe, M.A., of Worcester College, Oxford, who was instituted in 1874. The vicarage is a substantial residence of local stone with brick facings, erected in 1867-68 from the designs of W. Chick, Esq., architect, of Hereford.

The church, dedicated to St. Peter, has been completely restored and partly rebuilt from the designs of F.R. Kempson, Esq., F.I.B.A., of Hereford, and was reopened for divine service, October 8th, 1875. The plans were prepared in 1865, but unforeseen difficulties delayed the progress of the work, which was commenced by the late vicar (Rev. Francis Tebbs Havergal, M.A.) The nave and tower have been rebuilt in the most durable and substantial manner on the old lines. The whole of the old stonework has been reused, and every ancient feature retained. There are eleven new lancet windows in the nave, of local stone externally, with Corsham white stone internally. The chancel dates from the 14th century, and has been recently considerably improved. On removing the plaster from the roof, a perfect 15th-century oak framework was disclosed. A beautifully carved reredos was erected in September, 1868, by members of the masonic order, in memory of the late Mr. Edward George, merchant, of Hereford, who is buried here. It was designed by G.C. Haddon, Esq., and carved by Mr. Welsh, of Hereford.

A new font (with ancient shaft and base retained) was presented in 1868 by the ladies of the parish. The altar-table is of oak with carved front. The pavement is of Godwin's encaustic tiles. The centre light of east window is of quarry glass by Clayton & Bell. There are several neat marble monuments in this church. A beautiful porch, designed by Mr. Kempson, has lately been erected at the sole expense of Mrs. Builth, of Hereford. The churchyard walls, gates, &c., have been rebuilt. Upwards of £1,700 have been expended upon church improvements in this parish. The registers go back to the year 1556. The charities amount to 40s. yearly. A new school, to accommodate 60 children, was erected in 1873, on a site given by the Governors of Guy's Hospital. The cost of building was about £330, defrayed by landowners, vicar, and parishioners; architect, G.C. Haddon, Esq. The average attendance of boys and girls is about 40.

POSTAL REGULATIONS.- Letters arrive by messenger from Hereford at 8 a.m.; despatched thereto at 5 p.m. Hereford is the nearest money order and telegraph office and post town.
Parish Church (St. Peter's).- Rev. George Morehouse Metcalfe, M.A., Vicar; John Bosley and William Jay, Esqs., Churchwardens; Mrs. Thomas, Parish Clerk.
National School (boys and girls).- Mrs. Wainscott, Mistress.
Carriers to Hereford.- John Lloyd and Mrs. Bethell (from Wellington) pass through on Wednesdays and Saturdays.
PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
Bosley John, Esq., Lower Lyde
Burlton Mr. Henry P., Lower Lyde court
Cooke John Yeomans, Esq., Moreton house
Cooke William, Esq., Moreton house
Jay William, Esq., Highway house
Metcalfe Rev. George Morehouse, M.A. (vicar), The Vicarage
Parry Mr. Thomas Croose, Upper Lyde court
COMMERCIAL.
Bosley John, farmer and hop grower, Lower Lyde
Burlton Henry Peter, farmer and hop grower, Lower Lyde court farm
Clayton James, farmer, Glebe farm
Daw Mrs. Elizabeth, blacksmith, and sextoness at Moreton church
Goode Mrs. Alice, farmer, Upper Lyde
Griffiths George, wheelwright
Gunston James, mason
Matthews Wm., farmer, Arundel court
Nash James, carpenter, Highway cottage
Parry Thomas Croose, farmer and hop grower, Upper Lyde court; and at Middle hill, Hope-under-Dinmore, near Leominster
Reece ___, wheelwright, The Hills
Smith Thomas, blacksmith
Vaughan James, boot and shoe maker
Wainscott Mrs., schoolmistress

OCR/Transcription by Rosemary Lockie in June 2004.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://texts.wishful-thinking.org.uk/Littlebury1876/PipeLyde.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library