Peterstow, Herefordshire

Extract from Littlebury's Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire, 1876-7
with Private and Commercial Residents

Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2004

PETERSTOW is a parish and village situated on the old road from Ross to Hereford, nearly 3 miles W. of Ross, 10 N.N.E. of Monmouth, and 12 S.S.E. of Hereford; is in Wormelow hundred (lower division), Ross union, county court district, and polling district, and Harewood End petty sessional division. The population in 1861 was 276; in 1871, 356;[1] inhabited houses, 67; families or separate occupiers, 79; area of parish, 1,544 acres; annual rateable value, £3,408. The Governors of Guy's Hospital, London, are lords of the manor, and, with the Rev. Dr. Jebb and Charles Octavius Swinnerton Morgan, Esq., M.P., of The Friars, Newport, are the principal landowners. The soil is red loam; subsoil, clay and rock; chief crops, wheat, barley, roots, &c. Peterstow is in the diocese and archdeaconry, of Hereford and rural deanery of Archenfield; living, a rectory; value, £390, with residence and 20 acres of glebe; patron, W. Poynder, Esq.; rector, Rev. John Jebb, D.D., of Trinity College, Dublin, who was instituted in 1843, and is also canon residentiary and prebendary of Hereford cathedral. The patronage of the living was purchased in 1854 from the Governors of Guy's Hospital. The Rectory house was built by the present rector.

The church of St. Peter is a small and plain Norman edifice, consisting of a nave and chancel, with a 15th-century tower and spire, its most notable feature being the exceeding beauty of its proportions. It was completely restored in 1866, at a cost of about £1,200, under the superintendence of Mr. William Chick, architect, of Hereford, acting for Mr. (now Sir) George Gilbert Scott, R.A., the eminent church architect, who prepared the plans. The church has been seated with open oak seats and the chancel with carved stalls. An elegant decorated oak porch has been erected on the south side at the west end. A vestry has been added on the north side, with vault underneath, approached by external steps, for heating apparatus. An old angle pulpit, in good preservation, has been replaced, and is entered by steps from the vestry through an archway. The nave and chancel are paved with Godwin's encaustic tiles, the design in the chancel being chaste and effective. A very massive brass eagle lectern, manufactured by Thomason Co., of Birmingham, has been provided, and forms a very striking feature at the termination of the nave. The chancel ceiling is of polished oak panels, and the nave roof has been opened out and repaired. New altar rails, with twisted balusters, have been erected. Two painted windows were inserted in 1868; and two fine monumental crosses were discovered.

In every department the restoration seems to have been most careful and judicious. The cost was chiefly defrayed by the subscriptions of Dr. Jebb and his personal friends and parishioners, with the assistance of Church Building Societies, and a loan of £400 from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. The church was reopened for divine worship on July 3rd, 1866. A church on this site, perhaps some part of the very building recently restored, as we learn from the curious record called Liber Llandavensis, was consecrated prior to the reign of King Harold by the Bishop of Llandaff. It was then included in that diocese, and called by the Welsh name of Llanpeter. The earliest register is dated 1538. The church plate bears date 1571. There is a school for boys and girls, chiefly supported by the Rev. Dr. Jebb; average attendance, about 45. It has been recently enlarged at a cost of £200, of which £140 has been subscribed by the rector, the remainder by some of the parishioners and landowners. Some of the children of this parish attend the district school at Glewstone. The Wesleyans have a small chapel in the parish.

POSTAL REGULATIONS.- Letters arrive by messenger from Ross about 7.30 a.m. The pillar letter-box is cleared at 6.45 p.m. Ross is the nearest money order and telegraph office and post town.
Parish Church (St. Peter's).- Rev. Canon Jebb, D.D., Rector, Messrs. John Edward Jones and Arthur Webb, Churchwardens; Alfred Davis, Parish Clerk and Organist.
National School (boys and girls).- Miss Emily Morse, Mistress.
Wesleyan Chapel.- Ministers various.
Assistant Overseer.- Mr. James Colcombe, jun., Picts cross, Sellack. [1]The increase of population is attributed to the erection and occupation of several new houses.
PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
Jebb Rev. John, D.D. (rector of Peterstow, canon residentiary of Hereford cathedral, and prebendary of Preston), Peterstow rectory; and Cathedral close, Hereford
Suttle Mrs., Peterstow villa
COMMERCIAL.
Addis Henry, farmer, Whitfield and The Yeld farms
Badham Jph., wheelwright & blacksmith
Bickerton Jeremiah, boot and shoe maker
Caduggan Mrs. Mary, Red Lion Inn, and thrashing machine proprietor, Winter's cross
Coburn Miss A., dressmaker, Yew-tree cot.
Coburn J., shoemaker, Yew-tree cottage
Collins Geo., farmer, Little Whitfield farm
Davies Mrs. Elizabeth, shopkeeper
Davis Alfred, carpenter, parish clerk, and organist
Dew Mrs. Elizabeth, frmr., The Wellands
Dobbins William, Yew Tree Inn, and thrashing machine proprietor
Dowle Benjamin, farmer, The Broome
Hall John, tiler and plasterer and shopkeeper, Vine Tree Inn
Hall Thomas, tiler and plasterer
Herbert George, carpenter, &c., Ashen coppice
Honey J., tailor, &c., Laburnum cottage
Jones John Edward, farmer, churchwarden, and waywarden, The Flann
MacCullock Mr., farmer, Hendre
Marfell Jonathan, farmer; High town
Morse Miss Emily, schoolmistress
Norris Charles, farmer, Lower common
Prichard George, farmer, Willsbrook
Smith James, farmer, Wilson farm
Smith Thomas, butcher
Verry Mrs. Charlotte, frmr., Everstone fm.
Verry Thomas Robert, farmer, Little Peterstow
Webb Arthur, farmer, consulting appraiser, house and estate agent, and dealer in artificial manures, Moraston
Wood Henry, farmer, Upper Hendre

OCR/Transcription by Rosemary Lockie in June 2004.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://texts.wishful-thinking.org.uk/Littlebury1876/Peterstow.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library