Pencoyd, Herefordshire

Extract from Littlebury's Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire, 1876-7
with Private and Commercial Residents

Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2004

PENCOYD,
WITH NETHERTON HAMLET AND PART OF HAREWOOD END.

PENCOYD is a small parish intersected by the Ross and Hereford road, and distant 5 miles N.W. of Ross, 9 S. of Hereford, and 9 N. of Monmouth; is in Wormelow hundred (upper division), Ross union and county court district, St. Weonard's polling district; and Harewood End petty sessional division. The population in 1861 was 219; in 1871, 211; inhabited houses, 43; families or separate occupiers, 48; area of parish, 860 acres; annual rateable value, £1,713. Chandos Wren Hoskyns, Esq., of Harewood house, is lord of the manor and principal landowner. Edwin Jones, Esq., and William Wilson, Esq., are also landed proprietors in this parish. The soil is sandy; subsoil, chiefly sandstone and rock; products, Wheat, barley, roots, &c. Pencoyd is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Hereford and rural deanery of Archenfield; living, a vicarage, consolidated with that of Marstow; joint value, £281; patron, the Vicar of Sellack; vicar, Rev. William Coke, B.A., of Trinity College, Cambridge, who was instituted in 1831, and resides at Garron Hill cottage, Llangarren. Pencoyd living is Worth £71 yearly, with half an acre of glebe. The church is an ancient stone edifice, with nave, south porch, and small square tower containing three bells. It is now being restored and a new chancel and porch added from the designs of Thomas Nicholson, Esq., F.I.B.A, architect, of Hereford. In the churchyard is a very fine yew tree. The registers go back to the year 1563. There is no school in the parish, but a board school has been ordered by the Educational Department for Tretire and Pencoyd. The charities belonging to the poor amount to 10s. yearly. Netherton is a hamlet and farm distant half a mile E. Harewood End is partly in Harewood and partly in Pencoyd. The post office is in the latter parish, and the police station is in Hentland parish.

POSTAL REGULATIONS.- William Scrivens, Sub-Postmaster, Harewood end. Letters arrive by messenger from Ross at 7.40 a.m.; despatched thereto at 4.5 p.m. and 5.55 p.m. Money orders are granted and paid and post office savings bank business transacted at this office. Ross is the nearest telegraph office and post town.
Parish Church.- Rev. William Coke, B.A, Vicar; Mr. George Evans, Churchwarden; Henry Barrett, Parish Clerk.
Assistant Overseer.- Mr. William Scrivens, Harewood end.

PENCOYD,
WITH NETHERTON HAMLET AND PART OF HAREWOOD END DIRECTORY.

PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
Jones Mr. Edwin, Pencoyd court
Oswell Rev. Henry Lloyd, M.A. (rector of Llandinabo and chaplain of Harewood), Belle Vue
Wilson Mr. William, Old hall
COMMERCIAL.
Barrett Henry, parish clerk
Davies Joseph, blacksmith
Evans George, farmer, Netherton
Jones Edwin, frmr. & lndwnr., Pencoyd crt.
Moseley Miss Martha E., shopkeeper, Harewood end
Powell Thos., mason & frmr., The Marsh
Scrivens Wm., assist. overseer for Harewood, Pencoyd, and Tretire-with-Michaelchurch, & sub-postmr., Harewood end
Vaughan Samuel, tailor
Webb James, farmer
Williams Edwin, miller and farmer, Camsland cottage
Williams Joseph, farmer
Williams Thomas, butcher and farmer, Netherton
Williams William, carpenter and wheelwright, Treberran
Wilson Wm., frmr. & landowner, Old hall

OCR/Transcription by Rosemary Lockie in June 2004.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://texts.wishful-thinking.org.uk/Littlebury1876/Pencoyd.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library