Ocle Pychard, Herefordshire

Extract from Littlebury's Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire, 1876-7
with Private and Commercial Residents

Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2003

OCLE PYCHARD,
WITH LIVERS OCLE.

OCLE PYCHARD or PITCHARD is a parish situated on the main road between Hereford and Bromyard, and bounded on the southern side by the Hereford and Gloucester canal; is distant 7½ miles N.E. of Hereford, 7 S.W. of Bromyard, 10 N.W. of Ledbury, and 3½ N.E. of Withington station on the Worcester and Hereford railway. It is in Broxash hundred, Bromyard union, petty sessional division, and county court district, and is the head of a polling district, the polling place being at Burley gate. The population in 1861 was 299; in 1871, 319; inhabited houses, 58; families or separate occupiers, 73; area of parish, 1,847a. 1r. 36p.; annual rateable value, £3,230. The Executors of the late James Leech Harrison, Esq., who are lords of the manor, the Executor of T. Postlethwaite, Esq., Rev. J. Glossop, Henry Higgins, Esq., and Mr. Wm. Wainwright, are the chief landowners. The soil is clayey, producing wheat, beans, hops, fruit, &c.

Ocle is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Hereford and rural deanery of North Froome; living, a vicarage; value, £198, with residence and 62 acres of glebe; patron, Rev. Henry T. Hill, M.A., of Felton rectory; vicar, Rev. W. Wilmot Hill, M.A., of Oriel College, Oxford, who was instituted on the 4th of January, 1876. The church, dedicated to St. James, is an ancient stone edifice, with nave, chancel, aisle, south porch, and square tower containing three bells. The interior was restored in 1869 at a cost of £620, and the east window filled with stained glass. There is also a window of painted quarry glass in the south side of the chancel. The earliest register is dated 1754. The day school at Burley gate, in this parish, was built by the late John Morley, Esq., and is now the property of, and mainly supported by, Henry Higgins, Esq., of Thing-hill. It is for the joint use of the parishes of Ocle-Pychard, Moreton Jeffreys, and Cowarne. The present average attendance is about 50. The boys of the parish over ten years attend Cowarne school.

There are charities belonging to the parish of £1 15s. yearly value. The St. George Cottage Home for orphan girls was established in 1867 by Mrs. Heywood of Ocle court. A limited number of children under eight years of age are received, maintained, clothed, educated, and trained in the various branches of household service. A situation is obtained for each girl when she reaches the age of fifteen, and she is sent to service provided with one year's complete outfit of summer and winter clothing, and 10s. placed in her name, deposited in the Savings bank, as a first encouragement to habitual laying up of some small portion of her wages. The present number of inmates is 15. Ocle Court, the residence of Lieut.-Col. Thomas Heywood, J.P., D.L., is a modern mansion, pleasantly situated on am eminence near the church. The Vicarage has been recently rebuilt. Livers Ocle, or Lyvres Ocle, forrnerly an extra-parochial place, containing 16 inhabitants in 1861, has been annexed to Ocle-Pychard parish under the Act of 20 Vict., c.19. In the farmyard are the remains of an old Roman Catholic chapel, now converted into an outhouse.

POSTAL REGULATIONS.- Letters arrive from Hereford at 9.20 a.m.; despatched thereto at 4.45 p.m. Hereford and Bromyard are the nearest money order and telegraph offices. Post town, Hereford.
Parish Church (St. James's).- Rev. W. Wilmot Hill, M.A., Vicar; Lieut.-Col. Thomas Heywood and Mr. Alexander Sherratt, Churchwardens; Thomas Adams, Parish Clerk.
Free School, Burley gate.- Mrs. Emma Bull, Mistress.
The St. George Home for Orphan Girls.- All communications connected with the Home should be addressed to Mrs. Heywood, Ocle court.
Carrier to Hereford.- Henry Davis (from Stoke Lacy) passes through Burley gate on Wednesdays and Saturdays.

OCLE PYCHARD,
WITH LIVERS OCLE DIRECTORY.

PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
Heywood Lieut.-Col. Thomas, J.P., D.L. (colonel commandant of Herefordshire administrative battalion of rifle volunteers), Ocle court
Hill Rev. W. Wilmot, M.A. (vicar), The Vicarage
COMMERCIAL.
Adams Thomas, parish clerk & shoemaker
Bufton Charles, builder and contractor
Bull Mrs. Emma, schoolmistress
Clarke William, farmer, Lower house
Hill John, shopkeeper, Kymin wharf
Hodges George, blacksmith, Burley gate
Hodges Jas., frmr. & shopkpr., High house
Pantall Thomas, farmer, Middle house and Upper Castleton
Paton David, farmer, Moor house
Pearson William, farmer and hop grower, Livers Ocle; and at Field house, Sutton
Powell Jas., carpenter & frmr., White ho.
Rigsby Henry, farmer, Upper house
Sherratt Alex., farmer, Holdbury-barn
Taylor William, frmr., Quickset frm.; res. Thing-hill crt., Withington, Hereford
Wainwright William, landowner, farmer, and hop grower, Lower Castleton
Wilson Mrs. Mary, Burley Gate Inn
Wilson Thomas, farmer, Brick house

OCR/Transcription by Rosemary Lockie in September 2003.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://texts.wishful-thinking.org.uk/Littlebury1876/OclePychard.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library