Newton, Herefordshire

Extract from Littlebury's Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire, 1876-7
with Private and Commercial Residents

Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2001

NEWTON is a township and ecclesiastical district in the parish of Clodock, situated on Eskley brook, about 12 miles N. of Abergavenny, 12 W.S.W. of Hereford, 10 S.E. of Hay, and 5 N.W. of Pontrilas station on the West Midland section of the Great Western railway. It is in Ewyas Lacy hundred, Dore union and petty sessional division, Longtown polling district, and Hereford county court district. The township maintains its own poor, and appoints its surveyors and other parochial authorities. The population in 1861 was 263; in 1871, 248; inhabited houses, 49; families or separate occupiers, 50; area of ecclesiastical district, 1,680 acres; annual rateable value, £1,209. The Marquess of Abergavenny is lord of the manor of Ewyas Lacy. Newton is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Hereford and rural deanery of Weobley; living, a perpetual curacy; value, £80; patron, the Vicar of Clodock (Rev. Charles Proberts, of Bacton); vicar, Rev. George Vaux Collison, B.A., of St. David's College, Lampeter, who was instituted in 1875, and is also chaplain to Dore union, and resides at Bacton rectory. The church (St. John's) is a plain stone edifice erected in 1844 at a cost of about £700, raised chiefly through the exertions of the late Mr. John Powell, a farmer, who resided in the township. The church was restored in 1869 at a cost of £127, and some slight alterations have been made since at a cost of £15; it has nave, porch, font, belfry, and two bells. The seats are all free and unappropriated. The register begins with the year 1848, the date of the formation of the ecclesiastical district. Newton is included in the Longtown district school board. New schools to accommodate 96 children are about to be erected from the designs of Messrs. Haddon Brothers, of Hereford and Malvern. The Primitive Methodists have a chapel here.

POSTAL REGULATIONS.- Letters are received from Hereford via Bacton. Ewyas Harold is the nearest money order and telegraph office. Post town, Hereford.
St. John's District Church.- Rev. George Vaux Collison, B.A., Vicar; Joseph Higley, Parish Clerk.
Primitive Methodist Chapel.- Ministers various.
PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
Prosser Miss E., Newton villa
Rogers Mrs., Little Green
COMMERCIAL.
Farr Jas., frmr. & churchwrdn., New ho.
Farr James, farmer, Mescot
Hamlet John, farmer, Dingle
Higley Joseph, tailor, shpkpr., & parish clk.
Howard Robert, assistant overseer
Lewis Mrs. Ann, farmer, Wain Herbert
Lewis Philip, farmer, Far house
Pitt John, farmer and landowner
Pitt Mrs., farmer, Gilvah
Powell Ambrose, farmer, Lower Newton
Preece Thomas, wheelwright & carpenter, Square house
Price James, farmer, Woodlands
Rogers W., farmer, Gwm Clead
Sanders Joseph, shopkeeper
Sanders Thos., carpenter and wheelwright
Seaborne George, farmer, Burnt house
Shaw William, farmer, Castle farm
Smith Thos., farmer & landowner, Upper Newton
Watkins David, farmer, Quarrelly
Watkins David, jun., farmer, Gwrlody farm
Watkins Thomas, farmer, Old house
Watkins William, farmer, The Yatt
Watkins William, farmer, The Green
Williams J., blacksmith
Williams J.H., farmer, The Palace
Williams William, farmer, The Cottage

OCR/Transcription by Rosemary Lockie in November 2001.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://texts.wishful-thinking.org.uk/Littlebury1876/Newton.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library