Munsley, Herefordshire

Extract from Littlebury's Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire, 1876-7
with Private and Commercial Residents

Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2004

MUNSLEY is a small parish situated between the Worcester and Hereford branch of the Great Western railway and the Hereford and Gloucester canal. It is adjacent to Ashperton railway station, and is distant 4½ miles N.W. of Ledbury, 11 E. of Hereford, and 10 S. of Bromyard; is in Radlow hundred, Ledbury union, petty sessional division, and county court district, and Tarrington polling district. The population in 1861 was 234; in 1871, 186; inhabited houses, 36; families or separate occupiers, 41; area of parish, 1,218a. 2r. 16p.; annual rateable value, £1,978. John Hopton, Esq., of Canon ffroome court, Mr. John Pitt, and Mr. Gibbs, are the principal landowners. The soil is clayey, producing wheat, hops, beans, roots, and fruit. Munsley is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Hereford and rural deanery of South Froome; living, a rectory, united to Canon ffroome vicarage; joint value, £400, with residence and 28 acres of glebe; patron, John Hopton, Esq.; rector, Rev. William Buckle, M.A., of Oriel College, Oxford, who was instituted in 1871. The Rev. Edmund Verdon Amery, M.A., of Brasenose College, Oxford, is curate in sole charge of Munsley. The church, an ancient edifice dedicated to St. Bartholomew, was restored by rate and private benefactions in 1863, at a cost of £750. It consists of nave and chancel, with bell-turret and two bells, and possesses some interesting features. The children from this parish attend the district elementary school at Ashperton.

POSTAL REGULATIONS.- Letters are received through Ledbury, and arrive by messenger from Parkhold post office about 9 a.m.; despatched at 5 p.m. Tarrington is the nearest money order office. Ledbury is the telegraph office and post town.
Parish Church (St. Bartholomew's).- Rev. William Buckle, M.A., Rector; Rev. Edmund Verdon Amery, M.A., Curate in sole charge; Mr. William Fennell, Churchwarden; James Austin, Parish Clerk.
Clerk to the Guardians of Ledbury Union and Superintendent Registrar.- Richard Homes, Esq., The Castle.
Carrier to Ledbury.- John Hill (from Ashperton) calls at the Royal Oak Inn every Tuesday about 9 a.m.; returning from the New Inn, Homend street, Ledbury, the same day at 5 p.m.
PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
Amery Rev. Edmund Verdon, M.A. (curate in sole charge), The Rectory
Homes Richard, Esq., The Castle
Homes William, Esq., The Castle
COMMERCIAL.
Austin James, parish clerk
Fennell William, farmer and hop grower, Nupend
Fowler Edward, blacksmith
Fowler James, wheelwright, &c., Waller's green
Gibbs Edwin, farmer and hop grower, Upper court
Gibbs Thomas, farmer, Moor End farm
Homes William, solicitor, and commissioner to administer oaths in the supreme court of judicature, The Castle
Homes Richard, solicitor; clerk to the guardians of Ledbury union, and superintendent registrar clerk to Woolhope school board; agent for the London Assurance corporation, offices, The Castle, Munsley; and at Ledbury
Lewis Mrs. Elizabeth, blacksmith and shopkeeper
Palfrey Frederick, farmer, Paunsford court
Sanders Thomas, farmer, Mainswood
Shayle James, farmer, hop grower, and cider merchant, Callow hills; and at Rea farm, Ledbury
Sisum James, farmer, Hazle farm
Spencer Richard, Royal Oak Inn, and butcher
Withey T.A., clerk for William Homes, Esq.; res., Nutshell villa, Ashperton

OCR/Transcription by Rosemary Lockie in June 2004.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://texts.wishful-thinking.org.uk/Littlebury1876/Munsley.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library